Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,179,377 times

Advertisements

The one to the left of the carrots, right? I still think it looks like a yam. Vegetable, Yams, sweet potato, yam pictures

oh this site shows the variety.. so looking at the flesh.. if it is whitish, it's a Sweet Yam The Sweet Potato vs. Yam Debate on “Weekend America” (which one do you use?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,153,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
EH, I showed my wife the picture. She's somewhat of a food guru. She said it looks like a jicama to her (pronounced hik-uh-muh). She said they taste good, a little like an artichoke. Boil them up like a potato. She says there's probably recipes online.

Well, I looked online, and the jicamas pictured have more of a turnip shape, so I'm not sure if she's right or not. If not, YOU can tell her, 'cause I don't argue with her about food!

jicama |ˈhikəmə; ˈhē-|
noun
the crisp, white-fleshed, edible tuber of a Central American climbing plant of the pea family ( Pachyrhizus erosus, family Leguminosae), cultivated since pre-Columbian times and used esp. in Mexican cooking.
Somebody else has mentioned Jicama, but having never tasted one, I'm not sure. I also looked it up and the shape is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
The one to the left of the carrots, right? I still think it looks like a yam. Vegetable, Yams, sweet potato, yam pictures

oh this site shows the variety.. so looking at the flesh.. if it is whitish, it's a Sweet Yam The Sweet Potato vs. Yam Debate on “Weekend America” (which one do you use?)
We cut a hunk off the end and tried it. We being myself and several neighbors. All of us agreed, it is not a yam, turnip, rudabegga, etc... It is a light yellow color inside and is not tart like a sweet potato or a yam.

I went to the BB website and several people on there have asked and nobody has answered.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,179,377 times
it's not an overgrown parsnip, is it? Still think it's some variety of sweet potato or yam....

found this site's description... Bonita

Skin Color: light tan skin with a pink cast at harvest; fades in storage
Flesh Color: white with a tinge of yellow; ‘O’ Henry’ has a more yellow flesh

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,153,319 times
Quote:
it's not an overgrown parsnip, is it? Still think it's some variety of sweet potato or yam....

found this site's description... Bonita

Skin Color: light tan skin with a pink cast at harvest; fades in storage
Flesh Color: white with a tinge of yellow; ‘O’ Henry’ has a more yellow flesh
Bonita Sweet Potato. Hmmmmm. There are so many varieties that this could very well be it. It looks exactly like those pictured. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM

76 posts, read 146,161 times
Quote:
Awesome story! glad you've settled in and are finding Wyoming to be as wonderful as the rest of us have (I still miss it!)

Have you thought of planting small veggies inside in pots? Short carrots, lettuces, radishes and herbs to name a few can thrive with a bit of sun lamps, good potting soil and water. Check out "indoor winter gardening" on a search engine and you'll find many hints.
Thanks, FL! I hadn't thought about an indoor garden. I'll check out the search phrase you suggested and let you know how it turns out

Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Somebody else has mentioned Jicama, but having never tasted one, I'm not sure. I also looked it up and the shape is different.

We cut a hunk off the end and tried it. We being myself and several neighbors. All of us agreed, it is not a yam, turnip, rudabegga, etc... It is a light yellow color inside and is not tart like a sweet potato or a yam.

I went to the BB website and several people on there have asked and nobody has answered.
EH, thanks for the good referral to the folks at BB. I will check into that for sure, since your basket looks Ah-mazing!

I wasn't sure which item you were trying to identify - the one next to the carrots, or the one next to the left of it. The jicama that I've seen is usually rounder (although not always), has almost white flesh inside, is very crunchy with high water content (think celery without strings and sweeter). They are favorites for veggie trays in CA since their mild flavor goes with any dip you might want to create.

That being said, the one next to the carrots really doesn't look like jicama to me. The one next to that is closer but still not very similar to what I've seen. But who knows? We have willow trees outside our house now that look nothing like the willows that I grew up with in New Jersey, or the ones we had around California.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Cool story, AlisonA. Did you get any acreage with your modular, or is it on a small lot?
Hi VS, we didn't get any acreage, but we are in a park that has a single row of homes, all with larger lots that have yards. We are at the very end of the row, looking out on beautiful fields. We also rent the empty lot in front of us, which not only prevents someone else from moving in and blocking our view, but gives us room to garden - and theoretically put up that greenhouse which is current in boxes in my husband's workshop/shed. We will get to it... just coming back from the exhaustion of caring for my FIL.

Our thought was to make sure that we really, really like it in Wyoming and can stand the winters that everyone warned us about. If so, then we hope to find some acreage to which we can move our modular in the near future. No rush... we want to get a feel for the town and how important it is to be near to (or far from) certain things like highways, stores, and other neighbors. All in due time. For now, we are just blessed to be out of crazy Cali.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 AM

6,368 posts, read 7,818,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonA View Post
...Our thought was to make sure that we really, really like it in Wyoming and can stand the winters that everyone warned us about. If so, then we hope to find some acreage to which we can move our modular in the near future. No rush... we want to get a feel for the town and how important it is to be near to (or far from) certain things like highways, stores, and other neighbors. All in due time. For now, we are just blessed to be out of crazy Cali.
That is a wise plan. Please do check in from time t time to keep us updated on your struggles/victories/accomplishments/thoughts. I too will be a CA refugee when I retire in a couple more years, and the focus for my new home is in the Bighorn Basin somewhere. I can't wait to get out of here. Other than the climate and the jobs, there is nothing keeping me here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming