Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM

59 posts, read 76,554 times

Advertisements

Previously I had been interested in the Cody area. However, I got a recruitment email today from BNSF inviting me to come test, be interviewed, and take a drug test for a position in Gillette. So my question is, how is the Gillette area? How are the schools? How are the child-care facilities? Based solely on gut feeling, would I be likely to be 1 candidate out of hundreds for a position like this would you think, or is the pool likely to be smaller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,827,699 times
Gillette has a lot going for it. Jobs with better than average wages are one of them. The schools are good. There are a lot of activities for kids, families and adults. Gillette is not far from either the Black Hills or the Big Horn Mtns.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM

10,455 posts, read 14,184,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Gillette has a lot going for it. Jobs with better than average wages are one of them. The schools are good. There are a lot of activities for kids, families and adults. Gillette is not far from either the Black Hills or the Big Horn Mtns.
A real plus in my mind. Gillette is also not far from the Thunder Basin National Grassland. It may not be as scenic as the mountains but the plains do have a rugged beauty. The non-bolded are even more important pluses.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,827,699 times
I, too, prefer the grasslands and prairie. Spent a couple summers east and north of Bill 15-16 years ago.

Last edited by branDcalf; 01-30-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM

59 posts, read 76,554 times
BNSF refers to their event as a "Hiring Event" rather than a "Recruitment Event." I wonder if that means that they're planning to hire most of the people that show up, unless they're otherwise DQ'd for something like a sketchy background, drug use, etc? I'm excited for the possibility, but it's a decent chunk of change to drop for a crap-shoot. OTOH, it could be investment...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,813,731 times
Default Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
BNSF refers to their event as a "Hiring Event" rather than a "Recruitment Event." I wonder if that means that they're planning to hire most of the people that show up, unless they're otherwise DQ'd for something like a sketchy background, drug use, etc? I'm excited for the possibility, but it's a decent chunk of change to drop for a crap-shoot. OTOH, it could be investment...
No guarantees, but if you don't try you'll never know and some years down the road you'll wonder "what if".
If you spend your time and money to go there (you don't mention where from) you'll be telling them you have a genuine interest, that you're willing to work hard and can add value to their operation. That and your skills are the best you or anyone can offer to an employer.

Read up on the company and be more excited about working for them than in moving to Gillette. Show that in your interview.

And, yes, there will be a boatload of folks looking for work, but when no one knows you, only you can show initiative to go there and apply. You may strike out, but if you don't step up to the plate you won't even get to swing the bat.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,188,877 times
Do a search on Gillette on the forums, as Georgia has posted a lot about this area too. I interviewed a few years back in Wright, just south of Gillette, and I found the area (while lacking a lot of trees) was very friendly, and has the amenities of many larger cities.

if this works, here are photos I took on that trip. Wyoming 2010 Photos by FroggieLegs | Photobucket

Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,247,050 times
I can attest to a couple of things being I lived in Gillette and now live in Cody. I loved Gillette as the people there were great and the schools are awesome (where I worked). Personally, though, I like Cody better for a couple of reasons. I like the weather and the view much better in Cody. I like that Cody is smaller, but still has the same amenities as Gillette. Both have comparable things for kids and adults to do. As far as BNSF, the guy who rents our house in Gillette works for them. He moved from Calif about 4 years ago to work for BNSF. I don't know if it is this way with all of their employees, but I know he is sent out of town quite a bit. He has been working in Arizona for the past month or so. Not really good if one has a family. He only has one high schooler left at home, but his wife says she hates that he has to be working out of town so much. As I said, I don't know if this is typical or not. Also, I would check with BNSF to see if they will actually be hiring or if they are just interviewing to compile a pool of people to choose from as openings come up. That seems to be the way a lot of companies work. I would hate to see you spend the time and money to go if there isn't a possibility of a job for some time. I have heard of a lot more people say that they don't like Gillette vs. that they don't like Cody. From what I've heard, it is mostly because of the high cost of living in Gillette (we rent our house out for $1600/month, rent is high) including housing & utilities as well as because it is kind of out in the middle of no where and is pretty flat. Also, for having almost 30K people, there isn't much at all as far as shopping or eating establishments. Negatives about Cody...some people don't like the tourists in the summer as we are so close to Yellowstone. All that being said, if it came to getting a good job that was compensarate to the cost of living, I would be happy in either town. It all depends on what is important to you! Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming