Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,795,883 times

Advertisements

I just heard that the Billings airport will be closed on six weekends this coming summer (2013). It will be opened Monday through Friday, and closed on Saturday and Sunday for runway repair.

I am not sure which six weekends, but it may be worth checking out before putting in for vacation, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,266,876 times
Wow! That's unbelievable, but true. Loooong weekends too, starting at 9 a.m. on Fridays.

The dates are July 12-14, July 19-21, July 26-28, Aug. 2-4, Aug. 9-11 and Aug. 16-18. The runway closures will begin at 9 a.m. Friday mornings and end at 6 p.m. Sunday evenings.

The shorter crosswind runway will remain open most of this time, but it's apparently too short for commercial airliners. I'm really surprised at this. BIL is a pretty big airport to just close down 3 days a week for 6 weeks!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:00 PM

692 posts, read 1,708,944 times
You might also try Casper to fly into. 2 hours south, but a nice drive up to Sheridan. I moved back home to Sheridan 3 years ago after being away for many years. best decision I ever made (besides my 2 girls and my lovely wife). If you like the outdoors we have the best in Wyoming in my opinion. The Big Horns!!!! Don't get me wrong Cody is a fine place, but my heart is the Big Horns. In 30 minutes I can be on the mountain flyfishing and I cross country ski so I need no ski area. The snowmobile has had a bit of a workout this year as well. We lived in Story for the first year and really enjoyed it, but it was a bit isolated for the wife. Housing in Sheridan is a bit on the expensive side, especially with acreage out of town. We have the basic shopping here but anything outside of the basics requires a trip to Billings or Casper. One thing we do lack here in Sheridan is a good place to eat, although we have several eating establishments that are adaquate. The best is the Winchester over in Buffalo. Come here with an open mind that all the amenities that you have now most likely are not available in Cody or Sheridan, but the trade off is living in the most beautiful state in the nation. Good Luck and GOD speed on your travels.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM

52 posts, read 117,538 times
Both Sheridan and Cody are fine places to call home. Personally, I find Cody to be a bit... touristy in summer, which is understandable considering it's on the way to Yellowstone. Sheridan is more of a real town, with more going on, a very vibrant and viable downtown, and better weather (well, most of the time).

And come on down and take a look at Buffalo, one of the great historic Wyoming towns just a few miles south of Sheridan. Don't forget that old Wyoming custom: if you see a local drinking in the bar - particularly if he's wearing an old-timey cowboy hat and has a large, drooping mustache - buy him a round. It's the neighborly thing to do...

Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM

692 posts, read 1,708,944 times
Speaking of weather we had a foot of snow yesterday in Sheridan.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,121,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
about 18 inches out here in Ranchester. Good thing the ambulance had 4 wheel drive in order to get in to my place.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
And we haven't had that much all winter in Cody. None this past week. So I really don't think one can say that the Sheridan weather is "much better" than Cody. It depends on the day!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM

322 posts, read 588,770 times
If it is going to be cold, I's much rather it be white that crappy brown. I vote Sheridan.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM

52 posts, read 117,538 times
Talking The weather is here, wish you were beautiful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
And we haven't had that much all winter in Cody. None this past week. So I really don't think one can say that the Sheridan weather is "much better" than Cody. It depends on the day!
Well, ok: the weather in Sheridan is better than the weather in Cody... on Tuesdays and Fridays, between 11 am and 6 pm.

On alternate weeks...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,121,353 times
It all depends on how you look at it. We may have had more snow this week. but now we have bumper to bumper snowmobile trailers and skiers around Sheridan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming