Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,823,645 times

Advertisements

Congrats.....I'm familiar with the Pinedale Roundup, a decent small weekly in a beautiful area. I worked for the Jackson Hole Guide in the mid-80's, then a contract photog with the Casper Star-Tribune until 96 when I returned home to Vermont. Pindale despite the recent gas well boom is still the gateway to one of the most impressive, tho not very well know, mountain ranges in the country, the Wind River Range, The access via Fremont Lake or abit more north, the Green River Lakes is amazing. I assume with the gas well boom things have gotten abit more exciting in the Pinedale than it was when I in the area. I think the White Pine Ski area still operates.

I remember late 70's Sen Malcom Wallop, from Elk Hunters neck of the woods, was really pushing for a Wind River National Park. Most in Wyoming were against it, lots of people in Pinedale were against it..they didn't want to become like Jackson. Due to lack of support the idea died off due to natual causes..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM

38 posts, read 55,537 times
The Sugar Shack in Pinedale has some of the best onion rings I have ever ate. I have stayed in Pinedale a few nights with DH for his work. It is a nice, quiet place and surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery! Welcome to Wyoming!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I assume with the gas well boom things have gotten abit more exciting in the Pinedale than it was when I in the area. I think the White Pine Ski area still operates.
the "boom" times you assume have come .... and gone.

the drilling activity in the area peaked a few years ago, and is now down to a fraction of it's prior thanks to virtually no new wells being drilled on Fed lands.

White Pine Ski area & resort didn't open for the 2011-2012 for downhill/boarding. The only remaining operation is a warming hut near the trailhead for the Nordic area, where they did groom trails for that season ... but that's essentially the Bridger-Teton Nat'l Forest operation, not the resort. They advise if you need to rent Nordic gear, to do so in Pinedale, and to be aware that the winter weather can change very quickly, so be prepared. IOW, once you head up to the Nordic trails, you are essentially on your own.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Take a look here and you can see what kind of drilling activities have been going on. Just zoom in. http://www.eser.org/

Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 PM

231 posts, read 784,961 times
Well, I never got into downhill skiing, so whether White Pine is active or not is no skin off my nose.

Thanks hsmom28, will have to check out the Sugar Shack when I get there! Also anyone try any of Wind River brewing co.'s food/brews? They look and sound pretty tasty on the site...The fact that such a small town has an award-winning microbrewery right in town scores it points for me!

Also, is it possibly insane that I'm actually looking FORWARD to the winters? Call me crazy but -30 and wind-whipped snow sounds like a much better time to me than 110 degrees with 80% humidity with no breeze...

Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmom28 View Post
The Sugar Shack in Pinedale has some of the best onion rings I have ever ate. I have stayed in Pinedale a few nights with DH for his work. It is a nice, quiet place and surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery! Welcome to Wyoming!
Did a tour thru the antacline a month ago there was 4 new rigs. There are a few rig in the johna field too

Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
[quote=KillerK;25807563]Well, I never got into downhill skiing, so whether White Pine is active or not is no skin off my nose.

Thanks hsmom28, will have to check out the Sugar Shack when I get there! Also anyone try any of Wind River brewing co.'s food/brews? They look and sound pretty tasty on the site...The fact that such a small town has an award-winning microbrewery right in town scores it points for me!

Also, is it possibly insane that I'm actually looking FORWARD to the winters? Call me crazy but -30 and wind-whipped snow sounds like a much better time to me than 110 degrees with 80% humidity with no breeze...[/quote]

That's one of the reasons I live in Wyoming and not in the humid areas. You can always put more clothes on when it's cold.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Did a tour thru the antacline a month ago there was 4 new rigs. There are a few rig in the johna field too
the rigs are not boom boom boom next to each other like a few years ago, but there are rigs drilling the biggest thing is the truck traffic has slowed way down with miles of water lines coming off the new rigs and the pipe lines off the developed sites to the drying and compresser stations.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM

231 posts, read 784,961 times
I made it! 3 days and about 28 hours of driving! I loved driving through Wyoming, I thought the whole state along the I-80 corridor was pretty spectacular. The Medicine Bow National Forest and Snowy Mountains were gorgeous, and I loved the Red Desert a lot more than I thought I would. But of course the best part was driving up 191 toward Pinedale when the sun was setting!

Rolled in on Wednesday night. Still trying to get settled in my apartment and everything. Haven't had time to explore beyond the town itself yet, really, but I hope to this weekend!

Also, Wind River Brewing co. is great and has AWESOME beer, Rock Rabbit bistro has great food, and the whole town is just really pretty and well-kept. Bunch of churches to choose from too...I visited the episcopal one (St. Andrew's) and think I will keep going there! The creek that runs through town is very picturesque and is a great place to go sit by a tree and think! And all the important places are within easy walking distance, which I love! Saves gas money, and you get to say hello/chat with passersby! Everyone is so friendly. I've already made a few friends in the couple days I've been here.

I think I'm going to like it here.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:32 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,245 times
I think you're going to like it, too. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming