Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 25,378 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving out to Wyoming so that I can finish up some of my Outdoor Education studies, and she can get some of her general credits done for college. I have visited both places and liked both. They have a lot to offer for being so remote. I'm basically just asking some simple questions about moving there.

How does living in each town compare?
What would be the best way to go about finding affordable housing(we have a dog and want to rent a studio or one room apartment)?
What would be the best way to check for employment, and how is the job situation there?
Also, just in general, are either of these towns very "young couple friendly"?

thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,445,475 times
There's not much in the way of apartment rentals in Lander (or any rentals), and they command a price because of the demand as well. Riverton is a little easier, more transient population due to the work force (roughnecks/oil field), and the little bit of college turn-over. As for Finding that housing, I've only done it in person while in college in Riverton (and having my folks place in Lander). There are physical bulletin boards around town (on CWC campus, at the ACE Hardware, in the grocery stores, etc..) that have listings by owner, and the Realtor offices in both Lander and Riverton tend to keep a listing of rentals handy because of the demand. There are very few apartments in Riverton, less in Lander (though they exist).

Employment is going to be the same, hit the paper, bulletin boards and you can try your luck with Wyoming At Work: https://www.wyomingatwork.com/ I left in 2009, but work has always been reasonably hard to come by (outside of manual labor, always a demand for people who show up).

As for the first and last question, I was raised in Lander, I'm biased towards Lander and think it's a MUCH nicer place to be. It's also more expensive, doesn't have much in the way of "young people" things outside of drinking. Riverton is only marginally better, and that's because of the college.

All signs point to Riverton for you, IMHO. I grew up in Lander, went to college in Riverton (my mom also worked for CWC for 20+ years), even moved away and came back again. I love Lander, it's my "home" despite residing in Georgia now (on my wifes family property), and would strongly suggest you go over there to enjoy the town, but Riverton is where living will be best for you.

Hit up Tonys Pizza, Cowfish, Wildflour Bakery, and Asian Cuisine in Lander for places to eat. Sviliars in Hudson. And The Breadboard and The Depot in Riverton for places to eat. Actually, come to think of it I prefer The Breadboard in Lander too, might just be because it's more familiar.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:41 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,142,064 times
You might check around Hudson, half way between Lander and Riverton, they occasionally had some small houses for rent years ago when I lived there.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,177,842 times
There's a website Landertalk Community Bulletin Board : Lander, Wyoming on which you can find rentals and post your wants... They had quite a few when I was looking after interviewing for a position in Ft Washakie.

that said, I'm biased.. I liked Lander better although you get more commanding views of the mountains in Riverton. I think the weather was comparable. Will you be doing your training at NOLS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming