Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2006, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,432 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any info. on Lander vs. Riverton? I'm kind of up in the air about Lander vs. Riverton. Both of comparable size and only 25 miles apart. I'm looking for the small town feel. NO Walmarts/Kmarts is a definate plus but I don't want some touristy trendy town with a dozen coffee houses either! Give me a cafe/diner with a wood screen door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2006, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 15,926 times
I spent last summer working outside Dubois (going back this year), so I spent some time in both Lander and Riverton. If you don't want the WalMarts and such I'd say you'd like Lander. It's small and not too touristy, though more so than Riverton because of Sinks Canyon. It didn't strike me as being a "trendy" tourist town either. Hope that helps a little!

Old 07-02-2006, 12:04 AM

21 posts, read 86,932 times
Hi! I used to live in Riverton, and my family was always jealous of Lander, because Lander is a much nicer town. Riverton is strictly a farming town with not much sheen. Lander however, is very pleasant with things like statues and nice landscaping. If you don't want Walmart, go to Lander. Lander is also a good base for excursions in the amazing Wind River mountains. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:12 PM

649 posts, read 1,768,141 times
Default Re: Riverton vs Lander

Hi I just moved here to Riverton from out of state. I was going to live in Lander but I couldn't find a place to rent. Lander is much smaller than Riverton. Riverton does have both a wal mart and a k mart right across from each other. there's a lot of shopping available for such a small town. riverton is on the wind river indian reservation. lander is more of tourist destination but on a very small scale. there's the beautiful sinks canyon right outside of lander. the entire area is beautiful. it's wide open with rolling hills and canyons. not bare or desert but a high greening upper plains feel. the people are either very friendly or very not. this is difinetly cowboy country so it has a very small town feel and i love that. real estate is reasonable. you'll have an impossible time if you are wanting to rent and have a pet. you can buy a nice home in the mid 150,000 if even less if you don't mind older and smaller. but there's not a great deal of property to chose from. which is a good indication that people aren't comming and going. the riverton area will be growning because the oil fields and mining around here is really picking up.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
My wife was born in Riverton. She loved it and sometimes talks of going back, but she left 20 years ago, so her information is a little outdated to say the least.

She did tell me that one of the hard things about being a kid in Riverton is that she ALWAYS had to go trick-or-treating in heavy winter wear and hunt easter eggs in heavy winter wear --- and all of it in lots of snow. So if you love winter, Wyoming is the place for you.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,777 times
Default re: riverton vs. lander

I grew up and lived in Riverton for 21 years, when I moved away. I loved it there but things are changing, I have friends both from the Riverton Police Dept. and the Lander Police Dept. and I would say from what I've heard from them is the crime rate in Riverton is getting pretty high with a lot of drugs, were as in Lander it isn't too bad... Lander is also prettier then Riverton and no Walmarts or Kmarts!!! I hate to diss my home town, but you need to know!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 PM

61 posts, read 215,880 times
Default Lander, if you can find a place

Having lived in Lander for 9 years and just recently moved to Cheyenne, I vote for Lander. Much nicer than Riverton - the right combination of trendy and redneck. However, Riverton is much easier to find rental housing in and is less expensive. It also has some nice areas, but Lander is a much more beautiful location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming