Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,111,858 times

Advertisements

Just a quick search.

Approx your price range:
5 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage, built in 2007, 40 acres. HERE

3 bedroom, 1 bath, shop, mobile home 1974, 80 acres. HERE Mineral rights and water rights, a big plus.

Cheaper:

2 bed, 1.5 bath, mobile home on 1.6 acres. 1600+ sq ft. HERE

Just land. 35 acres. 4 miles from town. $85k HERE

That's just a quick 5 minute search. There is a lot of homes available, just have to take time and look. Some of these are prime to live in while you build your dream home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,377,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

That's just a quick 5 minute search. There is a lot of homes available, just have to take time and look. Some of these are prime to live in while you build your dream home.

Yeah, that's what most people who make under six figures have to do... buy the land, which costs as much as a turn-key residential home in most other places, then pay it off over the course of ten years while living in a trailer. Then maybe they can afford to build a decent house on it or get a trailer shipped in.

That one in Parkman is about the only one worth living in, too bad it's such a drive from Sheridan.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM

511 posts, read 2,201,529 times
I drive by a FSBO every day... 2-3 bed I think the sign said 1.5 bath... super cute, well cared for house in a nice looking neighborhood. $163,000.

I do remember moving out here (12 + years ago) my dad thought he'd be able to find a sweet deal on a house because he saw all these "great" houses listed on the internet all the time. Well, they were listed low because they were falling apart dumps. I'll admit, at some points durring the "house search" I thought he was being overly picky. But he made bids on several houses... funny how EVERY. SINGLE. HOUSE. he made an offer on, at the last minute everything would fall through because the reality company (a particular company, but I won't mention names) that had the house listed (not the company we were using to search) would suddenly decide to jack the price up 20G, or something screwy. The one I'll never forget was the very first we tried to buy... my dad put in an offer just over the asking price. Everything was set to go smooth, finances were approved, at the last minute the company selling the house backed out and sold the house to a friend of the realator for several thousand less than the asking price. Let me tell ya, that was sucky. And, that's the kind of garbage that happened every time we tried to buy a house. It was always the same company... but eh... Maybe just bad luck/coincidence. Dad never did get to buy a house.

My dh and I may have the oppertunity to buy a 2 bed, 1 bath on a nice large lot for around 100,000. House needs some work... but I think in view of the housing market around here it might be a good deal.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 PM

15 posts, read 101,200 times
May be too late to get a response (I am writing this end of June 2011) but I have a question about Sheridan. Is it green? I ask this since we just returned from almost a month camping in Colorado where husband has the itch to relocate (he just retired). We live outside Chicago, have camped a lot in the West, and would like to move there. However, one good thing about the Midwest is: we got greenery. Montrose & Fort Collins & Grand Junction & Canon City were so dry & brown! Been reading about Sheridan, sounds great but do you folks have enough water & soil to grow stuff?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,704,256 times
Sure is green now. The Missus and I are here this week looking for retirement land. We're both born and raised in the Midwest and have settled on this area from which to experience the next thirty years.

Our decision - not an advertisement.

We did a lot of research. Sheridan has (statistically) the best weather in Wyoming, which has about has the lowest taxes in the lower 48. Means a lot on a government pension.

People here have treated us with as much respect as we have given them. Folks here seem willing to trust us at face value. We appreciate that.

This past winter, we are told, had a lot of water (snow) which did not melt right away - leaving snowpack at higher elevations longer than normal. That's just starting to melt away.

We inspected some land in and around Cheyenne/Laramie earlier this week and found brown - a lot of it. And some God-awful wind. We were (prematurely) ready to write off Wyoming until we came up here and found soil, green lawns, freshly cut grass, healthy alfalfa in the fields and lots of green foliage. The local water (called SAWS) is potable; the irrigation water in the more rural areas comes from different sources. One potentiates the other. And it works. It is green.

Wyoming is back in first place for our retirement location.

Please don't take our word for it. Re-route to Sheridan and look for yourselves. Walk Main Street, look at the medical center, read the local classifieds and drive the back roads. These folks don't have Navy Pier and a Taste of Chicago, but they have their own culture that is every bit as rich and enjoyable (in our humble opinion) as anything we've ever seen.

After traveling and living all over the world, my wife and I thought this was the best place to land - permanently. So tonight we decided we would.

Just our story. Good luck to you as you write your story,

R-3.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,261,489 times
If you want midwest green, don't move out west. This is semi-arrid country. The prairies around Sheridan that are lush and green now will be brown in another month and stay that way until next April. That's just what the west is, and for the most part it's that way until you get to the coast, not counting the mountains themselves, a few lush valleys and some of the rare irrigated farm lands.

I doubt Sheridan is a lot different than Fort Collins as far as greenery is concerned.

This is not prime farm land. Sure, some "stuff" will grow, but it's a long ways from IL.

You said you've camped in the west a lot. You never noticed this before?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 AM

692 posts, read 1,708,677 times
Spring is here of course it is green............

Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 PM

15 posts, read 101,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
If you want midwest green, don't move out west. This is semi-arrid country. The prairies around Sheridan that are lush and green now will be brown in another month and stay that way until next April. That's just what the west is..You said you've camped in the west a lot. You never noticed this before?
Maybe I never noticed it before, since I wasn't looking with an eye to living there. Being on vacations and looking to relocate are 2 different mindsets. Also, camping with the kiddies, I was doing good to get my face out of the Coleman!! And seeing all the evergreens & mountains probably made me miss the brown grounds. Not saying the West isn't pretty, it is. But I like to grow a few things, not farm, just enjoy a bit of gardening. Thanks for your insights!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,706 times
I am curious...Its July 18. Is it still green?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,706 times
I am curious...Its July 18. Is it still green?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming