Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:14 PM

33 posts, read 86,754 times

Advertisements

OK folks, I've planned to take my family to Yellowstone Park this July. BUT, every single hotel room on the property (Snow Lodge, Roosevelt, etc...) are booked. Are there any towns near Old Faithful that have hotels that I can look into? My searching has been unsuccessful. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 01:36 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,033,857 times
Outside the park, West Yellowstone, but will take you 1?+ hr to get to old Faithful from WestYell.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,200,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtatty View Post
OK folks, I've planned to take my family to Yellowstone Park this July. BUT, every single hotel room on the property (Snow Lodge, Roosevelt, etc...) are booked. Are there any towns near Old Faithful that have hotels that I can look into? My searching has been unsuccessful. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Have ya' Googled Old Faithful Lodge for a room there?

Consider drivin' up in there while staying down in Cody? Where're you coming from could help folks with ya'?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM

363 posts, read 1,044,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtatty View Post

Thanks.
We always managed to find a room or two in Gardiner at the North Entrance.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,128,177 times
You might consider staying at the Togwotee Mountain Lodge: Snowmobiling, Hiking, Rafting in Jackson Hole, Wyoming It is 50 miles from Old Faithful but the area has fantastic views of the Tetons and good access to Jackson and Yellowstone as well as lots of great mountain recreation areas around it.

Yellowstone National Park to Togwotee Lodge - Google Maps

Jackson is of course even closer and has lots of lodging around it. Jackson Hole Chamber of Commerce

Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,263,172 times
I would check out West Yellowstone, MT. It's right at the West Gate to Yellowstone and is a short and pleasant drive to Madison Junction, which is as much the center of the Park as is Old Faithful.

In fact, you might want to look into booking rooms in different locations -- Gardiner, West Yellowstone and Jackson or Jackson Lake Lodge. Jackson Lake Lodge, and especially Jackson, are quite a drive into the main loop of the Park, but they're better for Teton National Park, which you'll also want to see.

If you have the time, I'd also suggest booking a room for a night in Cook City or Red Lodge and in or near Cody (between the East Gate and Cody). Pahaska Tepee , just outside the East Gate, would be a great location for a day or two, and Cody wouldn't be bad either, particularly if you enjoy the history of the Old West. (Irma Hotel, Buffalo Bill Historical Center)

Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 PM

144 posts, read 553,527 times
We stay at West Yellowstone as well. Pretty nice little town with a neat walkable downtown. The drive to old faithful is really nothing.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM

28 posts, read 69,625 times
Default West Yellowstone

If you leave West Yellowstone before 8 am you can drive into the park easily. If you stay here and leave at 10 am like everyone else it will be slow going. Old faithful is 30 miles

Old 04-23-2011, 01:14 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,307,735 times
We leave Star Valley at 6-7 and make a day trip of going clear to mammoth, the loop of just old Faithful.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,602,151 times
Have you considered camping for any portion of your trip? There are numerous campgrounds in and around Yellowstone that allow you to take in the wonderful scenery and feel of the park. Of course Grand Teton National Park is another place you should consider visiting, especially if you haven't yet been there. There are more camping opportunities there, too. If all you're after is a place to sleep for the night, this might work well for you. If you decide to camp in a tent, though, be aware that some areas don't allow tent camping due to bears in the area. Check out the campgrounds on-line before making any commitments.

Besides camping, though, the suggestions already given are excellent ones. I would suggest checking several of the nearby towns and picking a couple of them to stay in, and planning your trip accordingly. Yellowstone has way more to offer than just visiting Old Faithful, though that's essentially a must-see for your first visit.

Red Lodge, MT is one of my favorite places to stay near the park, because it allows me to travel the Beartooth Highway on the way to/from the park. The scenery along this route is spectacular, and well worth seeing. I don't think I could ever tire of it.

Another advantage to picking several different places to stay is that you can visit different areas of the park during the days in between. The biggest mistake I've made when visiting Yellowstone has been hurrying through the park so I could see as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. Yellowstone is a place where you want to take it slow and easy, and take your time traveling through so you can really appreciate what's there.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming