Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,240,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
That's part of it -- they've only heard the word or phrase being used, not seen in written form.
No, they DO see it in written form, for example, in forums like this. The problem is, they don't see it in edited or even proofread form. Nothing gets edited before it gets read. Not for spelling, nor for grammar, nor for syntax, nor for content, nor for logic, nor for objectivity, nor for balance, nor for common decency, nor for common sense.

It appears to me that a majority of posters in all forums simply type in their comment in the text entry field, and hit the send button, and forget about it an go on to their next flame. Most people don't even read it over after they have posted it, and if they did, even they would see the errors themselves and correct them, if not realize that they had just made fools of themselves.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,856,100 times
There's a poster over in the Non-Romantic Relationships Forum who is all upset about her rich "sybling". Do you suppose her sister has multiple personalities?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 PM

20,456 posts, read 14,809,284 times
I have on multiple occasions seen someone spell "cuttlefish" as "cuddlefish."

It makes me want to ask them if they make a habit of snuggling cephalopods.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 PM

19,206 posts, read 25,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I have on multiple occasions seen someone spell "cuttlefish" as "cuddlefish."

I think that some people (or, perhaps many people) have a problem distinguishing between a "double T sound", and a "double D sound". For example, I can't believe how many people nowadays write, "shutter", when they should actually be using the word, "shudder".

Or, to put it in other words, I shudder when I see how many people misuse the word, "shutter".

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,240,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that some people (or, perhaps many people) have a problem distinguishing between a "double T sound", and a "double D sound". For example, I can't believe how many people nowadays write, "shutter", when they should actually be using the word, "shudder".

Or, to put it in other words, I shudder when I see how many people misuse the word, "shutter".

This is a regionalism in the English language. In some localities (e.g., midwestern USA) , the DD and the TT are pronounced exactly the same, and the child learning the language from other speakers has no way to distinguish the phonemes by ear. Just as in some localities, 'father' rhymes with 'bother', and 'water' rhymes with 'potter'. But in other areas speakers make a distinction, children learn to hear the distinction, and the spelling difference is logical to them and quickly learned.

As for the DD/TT, the problem arises only when both are proper words. Nobody plays badminton with a shuddlecock,and nobody puts budder on their bread, and nobody tweets on twidder, because there is no existing word spelled 'shuddle' or 'budder'. or 'twidder'. But 'cuddle' and 'shudder' do exist as words, those spellings have taken their place in the eye's orthographic memory, and can seam write when scene. Actually, the mind of a literate person works very much like SpellCheck, and a word that is misspelled "looks wrong" (like a car with square wheels), but only if there is no such word.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM

88,887 posts, read 85,398,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
There's a poster over in the Non-Romantic Relationships Forum who is all upset about her rich "sybling". Do you suppose her sister has multiple personalities?
I saw that, and I am very proud of myself for not posting the sarcastic comment I wanted to post.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 AM

88,887 posts, read 85,398,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is a regionalism in the English language. In some localities (e.g., midwestern USA) , the DD and the TT are pronounced exactly the same, and the child learning the language from other speakers has no way to distinguish the phonemes by ear. Just as in some localities, 'father' rhymes with 'bother', and 'water' rhymes with 'potter'. But in other areas speakers make a distinction, children learn to hear the distinction, and the spelling difference is logical to them and quickly learned.

As for the DD/TT, the problem arises only when both are proper words. Nobody plays badminton with a shuddlecock,and nobody puts budder on their bread, and nobody tweets on twidder, because there is no existing word spelled 'shuddle' or 'budder'. or 'twidder'. But 'cuddle' and 'shudder' do exist as words, those spellings have taken their place in the eye's orthographic memory, and can seam write when scene. Actually, the mind of a literate person works very much like SpellCheck, and a word that is misspelled "looks wrong" (like a car with square wheels), but only if there is no such word.
Now I'm curious as to what else 'father' could possibly rhyme with besides 'bother'.

But, good observations in this post.

And here in New Jersey, 'water' rhymes with 'wooder'.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,890,166 times
I like this one, especially because the member took the time to offer an explanation. From C-D, of course.

Stop praying on innocent kids!
Praying=attacking and going against them etc.
Not the type of holding your hand at an alter praying.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,890,166 times
From C-D: "your so ignorant," and "self-riches" in the same thread. Then a few posts later: "more diveres" and "most wealthies" and "most friendliest."

Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM

19,206 posts, read 25,484,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And here in New Jersey, 'water' rhymes with 'wooder'.

I'm curious as to where in NJ this might be a common pronunciation.
I have never heard it in either northern or central NJ.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.