Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,848,331 times

Advertisements

The word anymore used a positive. ie - rather than a negative as in I don't ski anymore, they'll use it as a substitute for nowadays,. To me the usage in that way just grates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM

71 posts, read 107,442 times
'Coon for raccoon.

I am a member of a wildlife rehab group and see that abbreviation all the time. It's probably not too hard to see why I'm not crazy about it.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,382,764 times
Talking "whatever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
Tell us what word sets your teeth on edge.

I'll start.

I despise the word "chuckle". There's nothing wrong with the word, technically. I see it in almost every book I read. And yet, it makes me want to grind my teeth.

Now fess up. What word do you hate.
The word "whatever" should only be able to be used by young ladies under the age of fifteen who are just starting life and don't know any better.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:07 PM

8 posts, read 19,878 times
It really irritates me when people say "orientated" or "supposeably." Yes, people say these words around me quite often, and I don't correct them, because they are adults who really should have a grasp of the English language, so...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 PM

71 posts, read 107,442 times
Nonsensical...
Misunderestimate...

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,644,960 times
Webinar, haha, that is awful, yeah there are a lot of these now. Frankly I think blog is pretty awful. Was it so bad to call it a Web log? I mean was that really tough? It's two more letters...

Or Vlog, like used as in Vloggers, see they're not video web loggers, or video bloggers, they're vloggers. I'm surprised it isn't shortened more like just VBers or something, lol.

I basically hate any abbreviation for anything unless it's an acronym, then it's usually cool like FBI, CIA, DGA, those sound awesome. But I don't like it when people are just too lazy to say a word so they have to shorten it.

Another general saying would be "ain't no" as in "I ain't no hollaback girl," for instance. Wouldn't it be possible for a few of these musicians to LEARN ENGLISH? I am not a hollaback girl, but if you ain't no hollaback girl I think that would mean you ARE a hollaback girl. But that would presume I even knew what a hollaback girl is, which I don't, and I don't think anyone else does either.

I have a lot of things that annoy me but I would say most are based around shortening words, like "veggies" drives me insane, I'm sorry. Vegetables. Just say it please, "veggies" sounds way too cutsie and I hate anything like that. It bothers the heck out of me.

And yes, "pet peeve" is one of my pet peeves, I even put a line about this in my first film (from a character). And no, from the 2nd page, I don't agree -- pet doesn't mean "favorite," sorry. Pet peeve doesn't make sense. I see where you're getting that, but it still is a horrible phrase.

I don't like it any time a song says "the guy that" or "the girl that" -- the girl who, the guy who. The building that stinks like old fish, the guy who always smiles at me. It's not hard. Places THAT, people WHO... seriously, get it right. And there is no excuse like rhyming either because who and that sound plenty close enough and similar enough in size that either would work just as well in the context of any song, better to be correct about it.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
The word anymore used a positive. ie - rather than a negative as in I don't ski anymore,

I don't get it. I've always said that. Please explain. I say, "I don't shop there anymore."
"I don't smoke anymore."

Old 08-28-2010, 10:19 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,092,200 times
two words--amazing----am sick of hearing it everywhere-----and the term gay---liked it better when it meant happy----how many "gay" people do u know that are actually happy

Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,086,475 times
"Ridonkulous"

"Aint got none"

"Bootylicious"

"My Pleasure" ALL of the younger women I work with say this to customers, and it really comes off as forced and fake ("It is my pleasure to dispose of your used kleenex for you, sir!" -one actually said this to someone. I can't imagine it was actually her pleasure to do that and he gave her a really strange look)

Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
Alot. The words are a lot with a space folks. Drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing