Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm sure you meant to write "you're" as in you are a loser, and not "your" a loser. Your is the possessive form of you. And yourn is the hillbilly word for your, and can be plural yours, as in "These are all of yourn" when speaking to more than one person.
No, I meant to write what I wrote. You didn't get any of the jokes. Serious fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But WTH do they mean?
You're joking, I hope. Just in case you aren't:

OTOH = on the other hand
BTDT = been there, done that [got the t-shirt to prove it]
YMMV = your mileage may vary [meaning you may get a different result]

Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
You're joking, I hope. Just in case you aren't:

OTOH = on the other hand
BTDT = been there, done that [got the t-shirt to prove it]
YMMV = your mileage may vary [meaning you may get a different result]

I've never seen any of those before.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
It's not a word, but what annoys me the most is the blatant overuse of "LOL". Every time I see this, I picture someone falling out of their chair laughing at their own joke. Why do so many people feel the need to constantly throw that out? Are they really "laughing out loud?" Do they sit there on their computer and literally laugh out loud? If so, am I the only one who thinks that this is very strange. I might laugh or chuckle to myslef here and there when presented with something funny; however, I rarely start belching out high, gawdy, aggrivating noises while sitting at my computer.

With that same premise, why do so many people feel the need to tell you when something is funny? Do we actually read something someone else has posted and because they have backed up whatever it is that they're saying with a "lol'? And does that automatically mean that we are supposed to think of it as funny and or begin to laugh as well? Just seems very silly to me.

LOL can actually be an effective tool when used online. It isnt meant to say that the writer is literally laughing out loud. It is meant to convey that what the writer wrote is meant to be funny.

In type, intent is not always clear. You could be calling someone a name or being sarcastic all in fun but if you dont put LOL or something else, that person may think you are being serious.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWarrior View Post
Yes, absolutely...LOL Sorry. I couldn't stop myself.
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, .. people became so tired of hearing "yes", that they said, "gee, can't you come up with another word besides yes?" giggle. Sorry. I couldn't refrain myself either.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
"what not" when used more than once in a short period of time.

"axed" instead of "asked" I've heard it said so many times that I'm starting to catch myself saying it now.

"lemme have a" heard too often when placing food/drink orders. It just sounds rude.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I've never seen any of those before.
Hmm. I just googled, looking for my favorite site, and there are pages after pages of everything but! There was a discussion in the Admin forum several months ago, but I didn't go far enough back to find it. The commonest ones you'll see on CD are the following:

BTW - by the way
DH/DW - dear husband, dear wife
BF/GF - boyfriend, girlfriend
SO - significant other
MIL/FIL/BIL/SIL - mother in law, father in law, brother in law, sister in law
ROFL/ROFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing, rolling on the floor laughing my xxx off

There are a few others I won't list here and won't define, unless you DM me your email address.

There used to be somewhere on the web a list of about 30 pages of abbrevs used in the early newsgroup days. That's what I was looking for and couldn't find.

Some of them are used in texting. It's funny, the way the teenyboppers seem to think they invented it.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
The word "green" as it's used today drives me up a wall. I think of it as meaning "rookie" or "money." I remember reading about 40 years ago that green was the color most liked by people in mental institutions.

Another word that drives me crazy because it has changed meanings is "chickenhawk." It used to mean a man who likes boys (like in NAMBLA) not a politician who supports war but avoided military service, like it is used now.

Then there are the usual words I can never remember how to spell no matter how many times I look them up.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:32 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
As someone mentioned in another thread, actually.

The actual use of this word actually grates on my nerves. I'm actually pretty sure about that.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Wow I never realized that about 'hopefully.' I never gave it thought because it is so often used, but you're right! It's so obvious now! Thank you for enlightening me. These things are important.
It's like vegetables being healthy. No, they're healthful. To say they are healthy implies the vegetables themselves are in good health. I learned that years ago from George Carlin, by the way. Someone mentioned him a few posts ago. He was great with words.
This opinion is quite questionable. He/she must be subscribing to this school of thought:

Grammar Girl :: Starting a Sentence With "Hopefully"

Many times being a bigger Catholic than the Pope is more irritating!

In fact, as we're reminded by the editors of the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, the use of hopefully as a sentence adverb is "entirely standard." In The New Fowler's Modern English Usage, Robert Burchfield bravely defends "the legitimacy of the usage," and The Longman Grammar points approvingly to the appearance of hopefully in "the more formal registers of news and academic prose, as well as in conversation and fiction." The American Heritage Dictionary reports that its "use is justified by analogy to similar uses of many other adverbs" and that "wide acceptance of the usage reflects popular recognition of its usefulness; there is no precise substitute."

In short, hopefully as a sentence adverb has been inspected and approved by most dictionaries, grammarians, and usage panels. Ultimately, the decision to use it or not is largely a matter of taste, not correctness.

Hopefully Indeed: Sentence Adverbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing