Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:02 PM

12,440 posts, read 14,973,965 times

Advertisements

When I first hopped the pond to the US, Arkansas was just Kansas with "ar" in front of it, and Yosemite was pronounced yose-might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 11:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,128,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
When I first hopped the pond to the US, Arkansas was just Kansas with "ar" in front of it, and Yosemite was pronounced yose-might.
Actually, the river running through Wichita, KS. IS pronounced Ar.kan.zus.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:54 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,622,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
There is a plant called cotoneaster, which, as a gardening-lover, I come across all the time and have even grown it. I don;t think I am alone in thinking it was cotton-easter.

It's actually pronounced kuh-TOE-nee-aster.
I heard the name before I ever saw it in print so I didn't have that mistake. But if I'd seen it on a sign at the garden center first I would definitely have pronounced it cotton-easter.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:04 AM

12,528 posts, read 17,630,302 times
Quote:

So did I until I started watching Bugs Bunny cartoons, Yosemite Sam! Learned a lot from Looney Tunes.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Can't make this stuff up:

Years ago when I worked at US Steel we would have weekly Safe Job Procedures presented. This amounted to our boss reading in monotone a page long instruction sheet. He wasn't overly educated and we looked forward to his mangling of the English language. This one was his best. "Always remove any debris from the work area. When it comes to safety, make no compromises."

Well, it came out:Remove all derbis. Make no com promises.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 PM

11,194 posts, read 10,787,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Macabre and hyperbole. I thought it was mac-a bray and hyper-bowl. Thank goodness for the online dictionaries that have voice pronunciation!
Same here with macabre. Another word that I still have to force myself to pronounce correctly is "cache". I always want to either make it sound French, with a softer "sh" and a long a on the end, or with a softer a in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
haha me too with hyper-bowl!

I think we who read a lot more than we listen, are apt to do more of this.
Perhaps that's it. I spent a lot of time alone in the boonies in my late teens, and read a lot. Reading wasn't a common hobby around the community, so obscure words weren't commonly said. Hard to learn pronunciation from context.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,183,968 times
Nuclear. Pronounced it NU-cu-lar.
And the proper noun, Penelope. Pronounced it PEN-uh-lope.

And for a long time, I didn't know the difference between "antidote" and "anecdote." I pronounced both of them as "antidote."

And my favorite: wasp. I thought all of the other little kids just could pronounce their r's. I thought I was the only one pronouncing the word correctly, and I was saying "rosp."

Old 09-12-2017, 06:16 AM

33,077 posts, read 36,752,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
So did I until I started watching Bugs Bunny cartoons, Yosemite Sam! Learned a lot from Looney Tunes.
Vincent Price taught me how to pronounce macabre.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 AM

Liberace. Think I was in my 20's when I figured that one out.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 AM

19,229 posts, read 25,557,315 times
Quote:
Yosemite was pronounced yose-might.
When I was in 10th grade (which was a very long time ago), my English teacher was newly-arrived from her former post at a parochial high school, and she assured us that we now had a highly competent teacher.

One day, she had us taking turns reading aloud, and a girl stumbled over the pronunciation of Yosemite. The teacher proudly announced, That is pronounced Yose-might, my dear.

At the ripe old age of 15, I knew that Mrs. Forrester was wrong, and as the school year progressed, she gave us other examples of tortured pronunciation. So, even being born in The US doesn't guarantee correct pronunciation of words like "Yosemite".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing