Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 03:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,362,494 times

Advertisements

I was absolutely astounded a couple of days ago when my cousin told me an eighth grader had trouble finding his band uniform from a rack of uniforms on which she had written each child's name.

When asked about this, the eighth grader said, "I can't read cursive."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 03:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 37,019,709 times
Lots of schools have stopped teaching it.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:12 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,583,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I was absolutely astounded a couple of days ago when my cousin told me an eighth grader had trouble finding his band uniform from a rack of uniforms on which she had written each child's name.

When asked about this, the eighth grader said, "I can't read cursive."

Hey, you stole that from me, hahaha.

And, P.S., I've never heard cursive called "joined up writing."

Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,877,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Hey, you stole that from me, hahaha.

And, P.S., I've never heard cursive called "joined up writing."
Neither have I. But when I was learning it, we called it, "writing." You would either put it in "writing" or print it.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,183,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Lots of schools have stopped teaching it.
Yeah, they have, and I think it's absolutely horrible! How does a person even sign his name if he doesn't know how to write in cursive?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,345,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Neither have I. But when I was learning it, we called it, "writing." You would either put it in "writing" or print it.
We called it hand writing..... vs. printing.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:10 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,877,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We called it hand writing..... vs. printing.
Yes, that sounds right.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:12 PM

16,913 posts, read 16,217,155 times
Awesome...stop ISIS - write intelligently, in script.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:47 PM

19,229 posts, read 25,557,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
How does a person even sign his name if he doesn't know how to write in cursive?

Isn't that a good question!
In my last year as a HS counselor (2003), one of my counselees brought me a college application, so that I could review it for accuracy and appropriateness. Overall, it was well-done, but the one glaring problem was that, at the end of the application, where a signature is required so that the applicant can attest to the accuracy of his/her statements, this young woman had printed her name, rather than signing in cursive script. I pointed out this problem to her, offered her a duplicate (blank) application so that she could complete it properly, and she balked, saying, "But, that is how I sign my name".

Upon further questioning, it became apparent that block lettering was all that she knew. I don't know exactly where the educational process fell apart to the extent that she never learned cursive script (or...joined together writing...if you wish ), but she was the only student whom I encountered at this point in my career who claimed to have never learned cursive script. I do recall that she had attended schools in a few different states, but one would think that, somewhere along the line, the necessity of making sure she could write in cursive script would have occurred to at least one of her elementary school teachers.

I advised her to go home, ask her parents to give her some basic instruction in how to sign her name, and to return with a properly-executed application. She did follow my directive, and although her signature looked like it had been done by a third-grader, at least I was able to submit an application with her signature in cursive script.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:01 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,921,854 times
It's been discussed many times in the education forums and I find it very sad that people are not learning how to write. I've even read that if you address a letter now you'd better PRINT the name and address because a young postal employee wouldn't be able to read it otherwise.

How are they going to read old letters or the names of the back of their old family photographs? Read famous handwritten speeches or our nation's original documents?

It's simple to learn and doesn't take long so that can't be the reason for dropping it from the curriculum. Maybe they don't need the strict handwriting lessons that some of us endured in school, but just a little bit of attention to being able to write in your native language doesn't seem that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing