Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 05:43 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times

Advertisements

1. Grammar.
They abandoned explicit teaching of English grammar generations ago, so most Americans have not the slightest notion of even basic grammatical concepts.

2. Penmanship/Cursive

Few people, especially the younger generations, can write legibly. They have also stopped teaching cursive altogether.

3. Trigonometry

There used to be a separate trigonometry subject in school. Now they've done away with it, and integrated it into other classes like "Algebra 2" or "Pre-calculus".

4. Drivers Ed.

People used to take drivers ed. in high-school.

Should these things be re-integrated into our school curriculum? Also, please add to the list.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 PM

258 posts, read 157,455 times
Pity on the handwriting. There's plenty of evidence that writing notes seats knowledge in your brain more than typing does. If you made me school emperor, computers and smart phones wouldn't exist on campus at all outside of the office or a programming class.

Trigonometry? Eh, it's actually kind of an artificial specialization. I can see integrating it into something else. What I would probably do is to draw it (so to speak) into a simple computer graphics class and deal with things like matrices at the same time.

Grammar is an odd one. A post facto set of rules put on top of an evolved system. It would be interesting to sneak it into a Latin course set (another thing that is sadly lacking now).

No opinion on drivers education. It's one of those areas where school impinge on parental duties. I'm not sure.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
  1. Grammar.
They abandoned explicit teaching of English grammar generations ago, so most Americans have not the slightest notion of even basic grammatical concepts.
1. Maybe.
Quote:
2. Penmanship/Cursive

Few people, especially the younger generations, can write legibly. They have also stopped teaching cursive altogether.
2. No, today there is no reason to teach cursive, or penmanship. 99.99% of all communication is via keyboards. Same reason they didn't teach us calligraphy.
Quote:
3. Trigonometry

There used to be a separate trigonometry subject in school. Now they've done away with it, and integrated it into other classes like "Algebra 2" or "Pre-calculus".
3. They've separated it, not done away with it.
Quote:
4. Drivers Ed.

Should these things be re-integrated into our school curriculum? Also, please add to the list.
4. Self driving cars are coming. As such, this too belongs in the dustbin of history.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:02 PM

Another thing I would push hard, even though they haven't disappeared, is both music performance (and some theory) and art, especially drawing.

This isn't so much to teach a skill as it is to frame thinking.

If you lack hours per day, give me a list of the current coursework and I'll erase a few.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Some interesting arguments by Saxon for cursive. Got any links that have some data to back it up? If so I would be interested in reading it. It would fit well with the fact that I often write notes.....but then never read them. Ever.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
1. Maybe.
You don't think people would write better?

Nowadays, we kind of trust our instincts, and write what "sounds right". I think everyone would benefit if we knew the rules. No?

Quote:
2. No, today there is no reason to teach cursive, or penmanship. 99.99% of all communication is via keyboards. Same reason they didn't teach us calligraphy.
I've always envied my grandparent's handwriting.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Some interesting arguments by Saxon for cursive. Got any links that have some data to back it up? If so I would be interested in reading it. It would fit well with the fact that I often write notes.....but then never read them. Ever.
Just a quick google...

How Handwriting Boosts the Brain - WSJ

But I've seen quite a few studies showing that the quality of writing goes up when handwritten and then transcribed to computer, memorization is better, etc. That isn't to say that this is so, just the impression I've gotten over time.

BTW, I was just looking at the California Grade 5 standards, and you could fit something decent into their overall structure (although health class sounds like a fairly sketchy concept as a time waster). The devil is always in the details, though.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:13 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
Don't forget wood shop. That was where all the teachers had their custom paddles made, complete with lightning holes to cut down on air resistance so they could literally lift a kid off the ground when it made contact with the posterior. Yes, I'm speaking from experience and no, I was not a teacher.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
  1. Grammar.

2. Penmanship/Cursive

3. Trigonometry

4. Drivers Ed.

They teach grammar in school.

Writing in cursive is not really important so they don't really take the time to teach it.

When i was in High School (little over 5 years ago) they had Trig as its own class.

People still take drivers ed in high school.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Don't forget wood shop. That was where all the teachers had their custom paddles made, complete with lightning holes to cut down on air resistance so they could literally lift a kid off the ground when it made contact with the posterior. Yes, I'm speaking from experience and no, I was not a teacher.
Wood shop is for sure still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education