Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 11:54 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,926,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Ma definitely put her foot down after arriving in De Smet. Pa wanted to continue on to Oregon. You have to wonder how much would have been different if they had moved there.

I think Manzo was the name some people called him by. Laura called him Manly and in her newspaper articles just referred to him as "The Man of the Place".

Laura herself was not known by the name Laura after she was married. Almanzo had an older sister named Laura and I guess she and Amanzo didn't get on very well, so he disliked that name. Because of that and to differentiate between them, he called his wife Bessie, after her middle name of Elizabeth, and she became known as Mama Bess.

Incidentally, Laura kept the books of the water company, I think it was, right after they moved to Mansfield before the farm began to pay enough for them to live on it. So she was educated enough to do some bookkeeping.

Are you certain Almanzo didn't have diphtheria? Because in every book and story I read, he exerted himself too much after having diphtheria and suffered a stroke because of that. Supposedly he had diphtheria at the same time Laura did and they had to send their daughter Rose to Laura's parents until they recovered. Rose herself said: "Now my father was a cripple for the rest of his life and what would Laura do and with me on her hands besides? But the next time I saw my father, he was walking, although he walked with a limp for the rest of his life." That's as near as I can remember it (my book with all this info in it was lost when I moved). Pictures of Almanzo in old age show him leaning on a cane.

And I hate to do this, but I have to correct you on the name of the town. It's De Smet, and it lies halfway between Brookings and Huron in South Dakota. Silver Lake is gone, but the twin lakes are still there and although it's been moved, the surveyor's cabin is also still there and can be viewed as it looked when Laura and her family lived in it the winter after they arrived there. I believe Pa and Ma's house is still there, too, with the rag rugs that Mary made. I understand that at one point after the family was dead, the new owner went through the house and threw out a whole bunch of stuff he found. I'll always wonder what else we could have known about the family if that hadn't happened.
Right on all counts. Thanks for the corrections - I, too, was relying on memory and multiple reads of the "Little House" books.

I've visited Rocky Ridge twice, but it was long ago - have you been there? The house that Almanzo built has lots of rooms, but they are small - as was Laura. Beautiful cabinetry and woodwork, using wood from the property - he was a talented woodworker and carpenter.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:56 AM

"I love how the ladies aren't wearing reveling clothing and they look beautiful!"

Comment on a YouTube video of teens dancing the Stroll, c.1957.

Just goes to show you can look good without resorting to revelry.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:02 PM

"The women looked amazing with their hair dues."

Same source as above; different commenter.

What happened to the women who didn't pay their hair dues?

Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM

4,802 posts, read 2,812,873 times
Default It's Show Time, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"The women looked amazing with their hair dues."

Same source as above; different commenter.

What happened to the women who didn't pay their hair dues?
One of the absurdists (Ionesco?) wrote The Bald Soprano. So there you go.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:24 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,800,688 times
We also do t have TV, we have smart TV and a fire stick with some sneezy stuff on it to get tv stuff.

I'm Texan, living aboard

ONE Nation under ONE God..until they denounce there faith in allah there is no room for muslims in this Christian nation. Believe in the same God WHAT?! now that's a knew one..My God doesn't want his followers to kill all those who appose him, it's says it clear as day in the Quran "kill those who appose me. For the love of God people read the Quran!! Muslims hate Christians they Gays and they disrespect woman to the fullest degree..wake up, and if you don't what your talking about please shut up!!

if you read the Bible you will know Everything about christens, and i know enough about the Quran to know that anyone who believes in it is evil! Trump won the election which tells me there a lot more of us decent Americans then you terrorist supporters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell all the boys there are to big of pu%%y to come on my anti muslim sh**, bunch of fukin pu%%ies.. we all need to stand up to islamics in America.

Trump is a strong supporter of the 2nd ammendment so strong in fact when asked if he thinks goverment has a right to take our guns he answered, no because how would goverment have a right to take what they never gave us in the first place. To be able to have the tools to defend oneself from goverment or evil people is given to us by God not our goverment!!!

if you would have ate your beans...

Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 AM

7,036 posts, read 4,920,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Right on all counts. Thanks for the corrections - I, too, was relying on memory and multiple reads of the "Little House" books.

I've visited Rocky Ridge twice, but it was long ago - have you been there? The house that Almanzo built has lots of rooms, but they are small - as was Laura. Beautiful cabinetry and woodwork, using wood from the property - he was a talented woodworker and carpenter.
No, I haven't been there. I would love to visit, though. I understand Pa's fiddle and Mary's organ are both there. Is it true the upstairs is off limits to visitors? I think Laura said it was a 10 room farmhouse. I have a plan of the first floor. And yes, I think Laura was only 4' 11".

Old 11-28-2016, 09:07 AM

Default The stature of liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
No, I haven't been there. I would love to visit, though. I understand Pa's fiddle and Mary's organ are both there. Is it true the upstairs is off limits to visitors? I think Laura said it was a 10 room farmhouse. I have a plan of the first floor. And yes, I think Laura was only 4' 11".
Yep, people in general - New World & Old - were much shorter by our (US) standards in 2016AD. There were exceptions - people who had good protein & grain intake - the Masai & the Zulu, & other peoples that had access to enough good food & exercise - the Tarahumara (sp?) in Northern Mexico. Europeans weren't exempt - if you look @ full suits of armor in the Middle Ages, the Conquistadores in the New world - they look (mostly) absurdly small (to modern, corn-fed eyes in the US).

Old 11-28-2016, 02:58 PM

19,162 posts, read 25,405,963 times
my friend advice to me to use a Portable Car Heater. He says that it is good for car in cold weather (in winter).
So parallel i hearing that this car heaters are harmful for your car.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:54 PM

Default A penny for the old Guy!

"the stainless steal appliances love affair"

"george of the jungle" steel track - Bing video

Ah, George, we hardly knew ye!

Old 11-28-2016, 04:32 PM

19,162 posts, read 25,405,963 times
In this video he seers the steak then puts the cast iron pan in the oven. I don't have cast iron. Could I just seer it in a regular pan.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.