Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,573,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
'...someone had written...'
+1! Good catch. This writer wrote what he thought was the past tense of write.

Now I am confused after looking up the correct usage.

"Again, without going in to the deep dark specifics of grammar and the nuance in tense I will make this one easier.

If you use the words “have”, “has”, “would” or “will” you need to pair it with “written”." *write vs wrote vs written | Grammar Wench

Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,469,609 times
"Of Coarse he was Broke."

"...shes been upset, angry, mad, spiteful but head over heals with our baby."

Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM

19,171 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
"Of Coarse he was Broke."

In my experience, many people who are coarse are also "broke".

Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,034,909 times
On the way to work I passed a pickup truck belonging to a local HVAC company. In neat, professional lettering it said that they could handle "New Installs" and "Up Grades".

Old 08-19-2014, 11:05 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,346,707 times
Whoa!

In this day and age it still seems like women can get away with being unemployed (often by choice of laziness) or working very part-time DESPITE not having children or being married. I say this because I JUST graduated from college (double major) and was taking accelerated summer classes that I was striving(and made) straight A's to open more prospects for graduate school and bolster my GPA. A buddy of mine's dad made a comment today that kind of striked a chord but I felt he was kind of judging me when he asked "are you working"? "You need a job,man" to which I told him I've sent out several resumes as well as grad schools(gathering all required materials which is quite a process) so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing yet. Meanwhile, my sister (in her early 20's, no kids either and was not taking summer courses or have a job besides the occasional babysitting gig did not and does not ever seem to get the same comments or criticism despite pretty much living off her boyfriend (who she doesn't even live with), and my working class mom.

So, from a sociological perspective if you will,despite the modern era of "equality" and women's rights,do you believe the gender stereotypes still hold true that a woman will still be judged less harshly if she doesn't really work and "lives off people" and generally lives a leisurely life on other peoples dim-be it parents, significant other,etc. Even with no kids? What are your thoughts?

PS. I'm not insulting women or trying to cause a dispute as I know there are MANY hard working women juggling multiple jobs,school, raising kids,etc.Im just interested from a sociological perspective as gender roles has always been an area of interest to me.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:47 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
+1! Good catch. This writer wrote what he thought was the past tense of write.

Now I am confused after looking up the correct usage.

"Again, without going in to the deep dark specifics of grammar and the nuance in tense I will make this one easier.

If you use the words “have”, “has”, “would” or “will” you need to pair it with “written”." *write vs wrote vs written | Grammar Wench
If the word 'had' had not been used in the sentence, it would have been correct:

'...a student wrote...'

Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
On the way to work I passed a pickup truck belonging to a local HVAC company. In neat, professional lettering it said that they could handle "New Installs" and "Up Grades".
And I saw a van from an electrical contractor yesterday with lovely painted letters proclaiming that if you went to anyone else, you were Over Charged. This electrician's address was Newark. Are you in NJ? Maybe both used the same painter! (OK, I checked, and you are in Oregon!)

The two states where you can't pump your own gas. Maybe there's a weird connection...

Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM

19,171 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a van from an electrical contractor yesterday with lovely painted letters proclaiming that if you went to anyone else, you were Over Charged.

I have seen trucks owned by masonry companies whose signs stated that they do "masonary" work.

If a workman can't spell his work specialty, can he actually perform it properly?

Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,495,104 times
Quote:
If a workman can't spell his work specialty, can he actually perform it properly?
Keep pushing me....I swear I'll start posting stuff from trucker's forums! Go ahead....keep pushing! LOL

Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,469,609 times
Picklejuice, congratulations on your top grades. I know the hard work it takes. This is just a friendly reminder that when you are in grad school, it will be better to write, "kind of struck a chord."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.