Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 02:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,377,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Well, sure. But only the geometers.

& +rep
No, I suspect they were talking about leaving out elements like the root and fifth and relying on the third and seventh to convey the harmonic information.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:15 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,323,831 times
I guess I had a few bad experiences first one was under pricing I was in my 20's first home I sold agent listed it under market value in a fast rising market it went into contract in 36 hours. The guy who bought my home told me he was moving in with his family but really he was an investor he painted the inside sold it a few months later for quick 30k more. 2nd time house went into contract the buyer couldn't get though underwriting for 2 months telling me this guy was going to get it done but reality was he wasn't able to get it done.

Today's award for run-on sentences.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I guess I had a few bad experiences first one was under pricing I was in my 20's first home I sold agent listed it under market value in a fast rising market it went into contract in 36 hours. The guy who bought my home told me he was moving in with his family but really he was an investor he painted the inside sold it a few months later for quick 30k more. 2nd time house went into contract the buyer couldn't get though underwriting for 2 months telling me this guy was going to get it done but reality was he wasn't able to get it done.

Today's award for run-on sentences.
Youngun, I bet. Many of them talk the same way. I have had to ask "could you please slow down and use sentences?"

Old 07-05-2018, 02:53 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,802,677 times
How's ready for a food truck rally??? 4pm ___ Park in ____ tonight. It's are only one of the year there so make sure to stop and check it out.

we are looking for waitstaff bartenders and cooks. For are new location and to work on the food truck.

We will have are breakfast sandwich.

great to hear I seen you but way too busy.

Come join us for are breakfast sandwich or take that rack of ribs home for supper!

The nacho man himself getting his grove on

All set today next to the library. Come grab some of are food and check out the craft vendors.

I would say check on are page on Monday's

These are all from a local restaurant's page. I wish someone would teach them the correct usage of "our" and "are." (The owner attended the same school I did. English is her first language, believe it or not.)

Old 07-06-2018, 04:58 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,668,775 times
We commonly tear out good cabinets, mouldings, appliances, lighting, etc and it all gets loaded on one of our trucks and it goes to Habitat For Humanities.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:24 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,415,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I wish someone would teach them the correct usage of "our" and "are." (The owner attended the same school I did. English is her first language, believe it or not.)
It's not just the substitution--in print--of "are" in place of "our". When I was in First Grade (which was a very long time ago...), my teacher would do a daily update of "Our News", which she posted on one of the room's chalkboards. While she spelled the word correctly, she always pronounced "our" as if it was the word "are", and I found this very confusing.

My mother was borderline-fanatical regarding proper enunciation, and I mentioned this situation to her. She tried to conceal her displeasure with my teacher's pronunciations, but she did state that my teacher was pronouncing the word incorrectly. She also cautioned me to never broach that subject with my teacher.

In retrospect, I find it ironic that my teacher's family name was Kleindienst, which means "little service" in German.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
It's not just the substitution--in print--of "are" in place of "our". When I was in First Grade (which was a very long time ago...), my teacher would do a daily update of "Our News", which she posted on one of the room's chalkboards. While she spelled the word correctly, she always pronounced "our" as if it was the word "are", and I found this very confusing.

My mother was borderline-fanatical regarding proper enunciation, and I mentioned this situation to her. She tried to conceal her displeasure with my teacher's pronunciations, but she did state that my teacher was pronouncing the word incorrectly. She also cautioned me to never broach that subject with my teacher.

In retrospect, I find it ironic that my teacher's family name was Kleindienst, which means "little service" in German.
That's a regional pronunciation. Very common in Texas. I say "our" very much like "are". But I know the difference and if there were a misunderstanding (or probably if talking to someone with limited English), of course I can pronounce it in the more standard "our" way.

Regional pronunciations are not mistakes. For that matter, there are any number of words in English that no one pronounces the way they're written.

Writing a word according to a regional pronunciation rather than spelling it the way it's spelled is a mistake.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,415,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That's a regional pronunciation. Very common in Texas.

That may well be a regional pronunciation in Texas, but it isn't a regional pronunciation in New York, where my teacher was born and bred. And, my mother was a "NY girl" who considered that pronunciation to be... wrong.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:28 AM

4,802 posts, read 2,814,328 times
Default & flights of angels

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No, I suspect they were talking about leaving out elements like the root and fifth and relying on the third and seventh to convey the harmonic information.
Excellent! & we have a convergence.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,668,775 times
From Politics, of course!

This is almost funny. Liberals defending Rhinos.

(RINO: Republican In Name Only, for those of you who shun politics)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing