Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM

152 posts, read 768,787 times

Advertisements

Loved the pic of the heavy electric perm machine! When I was 4 and 5 my mom dragged me uptown for those miserable permanents! I begged not to go but to her mind I HAD to have curly hair. It was probably all Shirley Temple's fault. And whatta smell !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,223,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Lordy, I remember Tangee lipstick (yes it always seemed to be orange) and Evening In Paris perfume in the beautiful dark/bright blue bottle. Probably only the dimestore carried them. They were affordable! Back then, "affordable" meant cheap, not halfway between cheap and expensive as it means today!

My mom called any cleanser "Dutch" for decades, even after there were other brands besides "Old Dutch" Cleanser for the kitchen and bathroom. So did I! Cunucu Beach, how about Chiffaneer? I think it's the same as a Chiffarobe. For many years after toilets became modern and there were no more "water closets" up above them, we still said, :"Did you pull the chain?" for "flush the toilet."
My MIL called cleanser "Dutch", too. My mom used Bon Ami and always called cleanser "Bon Ami", no matter what the brand.

I saw "Evening In Paris" cologne in Vermont Country Store when I visited there in 2005. They probably sell it online. It wasn't cheap, either!!

Glad you have enjoyed my additions to this thread. I've had a good time with it, as many others have, too.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,374,197 times
moonshine
revenuers

Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 PM

289 posts, read 570,611 times
Okay I think that the usage of most of these words is all realitive to where you live. Because here in the south we still use alot of these words.

Chiffarobe ~ I have one sitting on my back porch.
Dresser ~ Has a mirror on top
Chest of Drawers ~ Is like a taller(at least 4 drawers), narrower dresser with no mirror
Night Stand ~ I haven't had 1 in years but my mom does
Record Player ~ Plays old 45 records
Britches ~ Pants
Period/Curse ~ Is still a curse
Shoe Horn ~ I worked in the shoe dept for almost 3 years, yes I know what 1 is
Moonshine ~ AKA White Lightening and yes it's still around.
White Gold ~ In the south this can mean either actual white gold or Cotton

Now some that I can add:
Dobbins ~ No idea what it means but my grandaddy still calls me that to this day
Switch ~ A branch off a tree used to "tan your hide"
Shoe Spoon ~ AKA Shoe Horn (had a guy ask for 1 recently & I had no idea what he was talking about)
n***r Toes ~ Chocolate Drops (AKA Creame Drops) It's a candy
Horehound Candy ~ It's still around & I still don't know what it taste like
Ribbon Candy ~ It's mainly a Christmas thing that taste like spearmint & is shapped like ribbon
Labotary ~ Bathroom

And: Coke ~ It's not soda or pop it's a coke. No matter if it's a pepsi, dr pepper, mt dew, sprit, or whatever, we call it coke.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,010,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
O

And: Coke ~ It's not soda or pop it's a coke. No matter if it's a pepsi, dr pepper, mt dew, sprit, or whatever, we call it coke.
And when you're from Texas, the waitress asks "What type of Coke do you want - we have Coke, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, and Sprite".

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,072,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerafaith View Post
n***r Toes ~ Chocolate Drops (AKA Creame Drops)
That's what we always called Brazil Nuts.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,072,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
And when you're from Texas, the waitress asks "What type of Coke do you want - we have Coke, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, and Sprite".
That's why I don't understand why someone would ask for coke, when what they want is pop.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 AM

576 posts, read 1,374,197 times
Default to annie

That's what my father called Brazil nuts.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:51 AM

5,537 posts, read 7,123,855 times
Chifferobe

Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM

48,198 posts, read 22,035,304 times
galoshe's ...... (rubber overshoes)

"Peeved"......still in use but I hear my Grammy using it.....also "cross"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing