Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 AM

936 posts, read 3,191,409 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing there will be a lot of Canadian and Australian cities in the mix, but then again, I don't know, so help me out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 03:16 AM

6,559 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Singapore feels like an American city, despite the large Asian population. English is widely spoken, and you'll find a lot of the American chain restaraunts there (i.e. Fridays, Outback, even a Hooters). The CBD of Sing. looks like a cleaner version of downtown Los Angeles.

Otherwise, Perth and Sydney feel pretty American, as well as Vancouver.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Singapore feels like an American city, despite the large Asian population. English is widely spoken, and you'll find a lot of the American chain restaraunts there (i.e. Fridays, Outback, even a Hooters). The CBD of Sing. looks like a cleaner version of downtown Los Angeles.

Otherwise, Perth and Sydney feel pretty American, as well as Vancouver.
I definitely agree with Singapore. It's one reason I don't really like going there.

Brussels feels very American. Other than a few historic neighborhoods and the Grand'Place, it's loaded with freeways, modern high-rises, suburbs, fast food joints (even with drive-thrus), and there's English everywhere because the Francophones don't like the Flemish and the Flemish don't like the Francophones.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Brussels DOES feel very American. Felt like Philadelphia. Dublin also made me feel like I could have been in an American city on the East Coast. Sort of industrial feel with lots of brick buildings.

Traditionally though, I've heard Australian cities are the most similar to the U.S. - both VERY car-culture oriented.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:15 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
When I was in Auckland, NZ it felt like I was in Florida.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:32 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Helsinki had the architechture and open feel of an American city (East Coast). Cologne also has the look/feel/vibe of an American city.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Some of the larger, economically developed cities in Northern Mexico (Hermosillo, Monterrey, Chihuahua, Torreon, Aguascalientes and San Luis Potosi) have inherited the sprawl type residential and retail developments of the southwestern USA. I'm not saying this is pretty. I'm simply saying parts of these cities have taken on the look and feel of poorly planned southwestern USA sprawl. The dry landscape, sparse vegetation, similar architecture and bright sun have something to do with the resemblance too.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,465 times
Are you sure? Helsinki remind me of many gloomy Eastern European cities. I guess the OP should have made an introduction stating what gives the feeling of an American city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Helsinki had the architechture and open feel of an American city (East Coast). Cologne also has the look/feel/vibe of an American city.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:12 PM

422 posts, read 759,073 times
Canada is so much like the U.S. it's not even worth mentioning.

The suburban bits of the Netherlands vaguely reminded me of Ohio.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:16 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
Funny...the suburban Netherlands reminded me of Connecticut. Also, most Dutch speak perfect Americanized English. I think a lot of Scandinavia is also similar culturally to the US. In Germany, maybe Frankfurt and Heidelberg. Brussells felt very European to me, I wouldn't include it in this category at all.

Mexican cities (well, I've only been to Cancun) obviously have a lot in common with Sunbelt cities in the US as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World