Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:08 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Not all Turks have black hair. I knew a red haired Turk. Also the founder of Modern Turkey had blonde hair, blue eyes.
Also there are even Black Turks
Yep, there are lot of fair-skinned, blonde type of Turks. But the thing is, they're not "Turk-Turks". These type of people have Slavic ancestry (an example is Alina Boz, who is half Russian). Furthermore, there are a lot Turks of Circassian ancestry, and they too tend to be quite fair. Turks, in general, are mostly mixed and would come in a lot of shades and colours.

People have this notion that Turkey is a country where everyone is 100% Anatolian and that its inhabitants would look Middle Eastern, when that isn't the case. Turkey is rather "multicultural" when it comes to races. Although virtually everyone is assimilated and speak Turkish as their first language, they don't always have Turkic roots.

Nowadays, "Turkish" is more of a nationality, akin to Brazilian and American, than an ethnic group, with people have many different backgrounds. As I said earlier, many (non-Anatolian) Turks tend to have Kurdish, Central Asian, Caucasus, Slavic and/or Iranian ancestry. There are a few with Arab in them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:48 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yep, there are lot of fair-skinned, blonde type of Turks. But the thing is, they're not "Turk-Turks". These type of people have Slavic ancestry (an example is Alina Boz, who is half Russian). Furthermore, there are a lot Turks of Circassian ancestry, and they too tend to be quite fair. Turks, in general, are mostly mixed and would come in a lot of shades and colours.

People have this notion that Turkey is a country where everyone is 100% Anatolian and that its inhabitants would look Middle Eastern, when that isn't the case. Turkey is rather "multicultural" when it comes to races. Although virtually everyone is assimilated and speak Turkish as their first language, they don't always have Turkic roots.

Nowadays, "Turkish" is more of a nationality, akin to Brazilian and American, than an ethnic group, with people have many different backgrounds. As I said earlier, many (non-Anatolian) Turks tend to have Kurdish, Central Asian, Caucasus, Slavic and/or Iranian ancestry. There are a few with Arab in them too.

Regardless! Ethnic Turks overall still have a lower frequency for paleness, light eyes, light hair than ethnic European populations, though they are generally lighter as a whole than most Middle-Easterners, and there is also a distant Mongoloid admixture in the Turkish population not to be ignored brought by Central Asian tribes a long time ago. As whole, not more than 4% of the ethnic Turkish population has fair hair.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think southern Italians are darker because many of them have some Arab, Greek, or African ancestry while northern Italians are more mixed with Germans and French.

The Jews are probably the most diverse ethnic group. You have white Jews from Eastern Europe but you also have black Ethiopian Jews and they all trace their original roots back to Israel in Biblical times.

Southern Italians are darker also due to a higher Neolithic genetical input, not necessarily from recent Arab/Greek/North African ancestry. Approximate 30% of Italians have black hair!

As Gennaro Gattuso

Some other Southern Italians in 2006

A Sicilian native

Last edited by saxonwold; 04-14-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

People who have fair skin, blonde hair or blue eyes or a combination of those traits are most common in Northern and Central European , not in Turkey for your information.
Examples: Dutch people (nearly 40% of the Dutch people are blond-haired).

Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,915 times
Interesting and quirky question. Well, I'm not even sure how an "ethic group" is defined. Here's my 2¢ worth anyway, for whatever it's worth.....

"Ethnicity" is often used to mean "nationality"... but a nationality can mean more than one ethnic group, or more than one ethnic influence.

For the OP i would suggest these ethnic groups:
- Iceland (some Icelanders appear northern European to me, while others appear like indigenous Arctic Canadians, and still others seem to have a mixed ancestry (For example, the singer Björk).
- Second would be France -- some French people are very Nordic in appearance whereas in the south, there are more dark-complected people, with a Mediterranean and Middle Eastern and North African influence.
- Italian would be third; there's a stark difference (in my mind) between the more blonde, green-eyed northern Italians and the more swarthy Mezzogiorno such as the Sardinians and Sicilians.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Interesting and quirky question. Well, I'm not even sure how an "ethic group" is defined. Here's my 2¢ worth anyway, for whatever it's worth.....

"Ethnicity" is often used to mean "nationality"... but a nationality can mean more than one ethnic group, or more than one ethnic influence.

For the OP i would suggest these ethnic groups:
- Iceland (some Icelanders appear northern European to me, while others appear like indigenous Arctic Canadians, and still others seem to have a mixed ancestry (For example, the singer Björk).
- Second would be France -- some French people are very Nordic in appearance whereas in the south, there are more dark-complected people, with a Mediterranean and Middle Eastern and North African influence.
- Italian would be third; there's a stark difference (in my mind) between the more blonde, green-eyed northern Italians and the more swarthy Mezzogiorno such as the Sardinians and Sicilians.
Bjork doesn't have any mixed ancestry, she is European! She looks like the people of Northern Norway.
The ethnic French vary from Northern to Southern European types, they are pretty much Europeans! Those who look North African or Middle-Eastern are not ethnically French! They rather are descendants of relatively recently arrivals of immigrants from France's former colonies whether Algeria or Lebanon, etc.. 20.2% of ethnic French people as a whole have blue eyes.
Ethnic Italians are prevalently Southern European, so are globally darker than the European average as most Southern Europeans but blond, red-haired, blue-eyed people are not scarce in the north. About 8.2% of Italians are blonde and 10.3% are blue-eyed.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:02 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
People who have fair skin, blonde hair or blue eyes or a combination of those traits are most common in Northern and Central European , not in Turkey for your information.
Examples: Dutch people (nearly 40% of the Dutch people are blond-haired).
Nobody said that blonde hair is common in Turkey. Perhaps you misunderstood the point of my post.

There exists a few blonde and fair Turks because, as I said in my post, the country is rather multicultural and racially diverse. Turks tend to be mixed, akin to Brazilians (although not to that extent). They're not a homogeneous ethnicity like the Croats and Japs. Blonde Turks exist because the some of them tend to have Slavic and Circassian ancestry, who have a lot of natural blondes.

P.S. Who said that these Dutch people in the photo you provided are natural blondes (I mean, the first photo)? The woman on the left has obviously bleached her hair. A colossal amount of fair-skinned, Nordic women dye their blonde when they're naturally brunettes. It suits the lot of them, though. So don't get me wrong.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:08 PM

603 posts, read 1,632,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It can happen. I studied with southern Italians in Spain and they all looked Mexican to me. Lol

Both nationalities have diverse looks. I have red headed Mexicans in my family and quite a few blonde friends and co-workers.
Red headed Mexicans are even more common than what you can get in Iberians (more so Spaniards).

Iberians do not have much light hair and light eyes.

With Sardinia, Malta, some of Greece, Greek Islands, and Cyprus they have the lowest.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:13 PM

141 posts, read 84,007 times
Irish have people with blue, brown, green and black eyes. Red hair, blonde, brown and black hair. Very milky white skin with freckles, to ruddy, to skin that gets almost black if tanned. Very ugly people all the way to very beautiful. Very tall all the way to very short is not uncommon in same family. Pretty diverse.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:33 PM

108 posts, read 87,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
Red headed Mexicans are even more common than what you can get in Iberians (more so Spaniards).
Sure, Mexicans look like Vikings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World