Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:58 AM

121 posts, read 276,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Uighur in China.
Somali
Fulani- Range in skin tones and hair color
British- Range in hair color, texture and look.
White Americans- I can't pinpoint one white American look and they look very different from each other.
African Americans- The varying skin tones and the fact that this is a very mixed group.
Filipinos- Not sure what ethnic group but the Tagalog speaking people seem to have high Spanish and sometimes Chinese admixture.
White americans for the most part look like Western Whites, not that Different from Australians or Brits, however easily dishtingable from Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:00 AM

121 posts, read 276,887 times
Hungarian people without a doubt, the most diverse in europe at least. You have hungarians who look Scandinavian or german, others look like balkanic people, other look russian, other look spanish, etc. I have seen Hungarian looking anything possible.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:00 AM

140 posts, read 151,654 times
The most important question here is, which people we consider as 1 ethnicity and which not.

If we look at USA all those white Americans are descendents and mix of various european ethnicities. Should we count them as 1 ethnicity?
What about AfroAmericans that were imported from Western Africa (many ethnicities there), but nobody know today which one so they are all mixed (in many cases also european heritage along the way for 10-20 generations).

Latin America is very mixed, some of the countries there are really multiethnical and multiracial. Do we consider Brazilians as 1 ethnicity? Central Americans are also very mixed with european and native american heritage (african too).

Basically ethnic group are people who indetify themselves together as 1 group based on language, social and cultural aspects. In this case Brazilians or Guatemalans(those with mother tongue Spanish) can be seen as 1 group, even that they have different looks and their ancestors were European settlers, african slaves or indigenous people of Americas.

Central Asia is also pretty mixed (Turkic,, Mongolian, Iranian, European heritage).

Modern Turkey is also incredible mix of indigenous Anatolians, balkan people, Arabs, Kurds,, Armenians and other Caucasus groups and Turkic people.

Africa is full of million ethnicities, but here it is easily visible and known ho belongs to which group (they have their regions, traditions, languages) which is not the case with modern Turkish or Uzbek people (united under 1 ethnicity but huge diversity thanks to centuries of interbreeding among various indigenous populations and settlers and invaders)

China is another good example. They have officially 55 recognized ethnic minorities, but over 90% belongs to Han chinese ethnicity. Everyone with knowledge about China knows this is simply done for statistical purposes. Han Chinese from south is totally different to Han Chinese in northeast. China had historically always huge population and ruling dynasties always unified their population under idea of 1 big Chinese nation/ethnicity.

Indonesia and Phillipines are huge island nations with many ethnicities and languages so if we want to sell Filippinos or Indonesians as 1 ethnicity than both are arguably top 5 in diversity.

I asume nobody talk about 1 big indian ethnicity everyone knows India is full of Bengalis, Tamils and so on.

Also southern Europeans are very mixed for european standards (especially Italians).

So I would say people from Americas take the cake, when they speak 1 language,, have similar social, cultural background, same traditions and see themselves as 1 nation they are truly 1 ethnicity.

So hypothetically speaking guy from Brazil might be Portuguese speaking, brazilian traditions and social norms accepting and culturally being similar to his 20 neighbours, but if we go down many generations, we can realize his ancestors came from 15 european ethnicities, Japan, 2, 3 Midle Eastern ethnicities, 5 ancestors were slaves from Africa (each from different ethnicity) and another 3 ancestors were from different tribes with different culture and languages among indigenous population when Europeans came in. So such person has ultra genetical and ethnical mix,, but in the end is Brazilian just like his collegues/neighbours.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffofDover View Post
Hungarian people without a doubt, the most diverse in europe at least. You have hungarians who look Scandinavian or german, others look like balkanic people, other look russian, other look spanish, etc. I have seen Hungarian looking anything possible.
Hungarians are among the most diversed people in Europe, but European most diverse ethnicities are not even close to the most diverse ethnicities in Asia and Americas.

To Hungarians. They came from Urals and Central Asia (historians are not exactly sure), there are possibilities of Central Asian steppes as place of origin and Urals (language group)
They came to Europe, once their raids were not sucessfull they settled in Carpathian basin, interbred for 1 millenium with Slavs, Germanic tribes,, later Jews, Romanians,, Gypsies and Ottomans controlled or raided that area for centuries. Also must be said Hungary (also other neighbouring countries) were very mixed and multiethnical for centuries. After 1867 Hungarians gained power and magyarization began which ,, turned,, other ethnicities to Hungarians on paper. Later WW2 changed a lot for CEE countries. Germans expelled, exchange of population with Czechoslovakia(Slovaks for Hungarians) so today Hungary on paper is 98% hungarian (Gypsies are mostly counted as Hungarians, especially if mother tongue is hungarian)but if we go 2 centuries to the past, it was very differrent.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
The most important question here is, which people we consider as 1 ethnicity and which not.

If we look at USA all those white Americans are descendents and mix of various european ethnicities. Should we count them as 1 ethnicity?
What about AfroAmericans that were imported from Western Africa (many ethnicities there), but nobody know today which one so they are all mixed (in many cases also european heritage along the way for 10-20 generations).

Latin America is very mixed, some of the countries there are really multiethnical and multiracial. Do we consider Brazilians as 1 ethnicity? Central Americans are also very mixed with european and native american heritage (african too).

Basically ethnic group are people who indetify themselves together as 1 group based on language, social and cultural aspects. In this case Brazilians or Guatemalans(those with mother tongue Spanish) can be seen as 1 group, even that they have different looks and their ancestors were European settlers, african slaves or indigenous people of Americas.

Central Asia is also pretty mixed (Turkic,, Mongolian, Iranian, European heritage).

Modern Turkey is also incredible mix of indigenous Anatolians, balkan people, Arabs, Kurds,, Armenians and other Caucasus groups and Turkic people.

Africa is full of million ethnicities, but here it is easily visible and known ho belongs to which group (they have their regions, traditions, languages) which is not the case with modern Turkish or Uzbek people (united under 1 ethnicity but huge diversity thanks to centuries of interbreeding among various indigenous populations and settlers and invaders)

China is another good example. They have officially 55 recognized ethnic minorities, but over 90% belongs to Han chinese ethnicity. Everyone with knowledge about China knows this is simply done for statistical purposes. Han Chinese from south is totally different to Han Chinese in northeast. China had historically always huge population and ruling dynasties always unified their population under idea of 1 big Chinese nation/ethnicity.

Indonesia and Phillipines are huge island nations with many ethnicities and languages so if we want to sell Filippinos or Indonesians as 1 ethnicity than both are arguably top 5 in diversity.

I asume nobody talk about 1 big indian ethnicity everyone knows India is full of Bengalis, Tamils and so on.

Also southern Europeans are very mixed for european standards (especially Italians).

So I would say people from Americas take the cake, when they speak 1 language,, have similar social, cultural background, same traditions and see themselves as 1 nation they are truly 1 ethnicity.

So hypothetically speaking guy from Brazil might be Portuguese speaking, brazilian traditions and social norms accepting and culturally being similar to his 20 neighbours, but if we go down many generations, we can realize his ancestors came from 15 european ethnicities, Japan, 2, 3 Midle Eastern ethnicities, 5 ancestors were slaves from Africa (each from different ethnicity) and another 3 ancestors were from different tribes with different culture and languages among indigenous population when Europeans came in. So such person has ultra genetical and ethnical mix,, but in the end is Brazilian just like his collegues/neighbours.
I disagree with your assessment on Southern Europeans I can speak with 100% confidence for the Portuguese that mixture you speak about in ethnic Portuguese pretty much completely coalesced by the 1600's. Unlike the Spaniards, Italians etc. there is as strong sense of one national identity with minor regional differences.

Non-European admixture exists in all European populations, particularly in countries which had a colonial history. A population that finished coalescing centuries ago is solidly one ethnicity not a mixed population.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I disagree with your assessment on Southern Europeans I can speak with 100% confidence for the Portuguese that mixture you speak about in ethnic Portuguese pretty much completely coalesced by the 1600's. Unlike the Spaniards, Italians etc. there is as strong sense of one national identity with minor regional differences.

Non-European admixture exists in all European populations, particularly in countries which had a colonial history. A population that finished coalescing centuries ago is solidly one ethnicity not a mixed population.
I never said Portugal. I do know that until 80s or early 90s you were among the most homogenous nations in Europe. Obviously later immigration happenned from your former african colonies,, Brazil, post communist Europe and people from richer EU states settling in the coast. Portuguese are 1 ethnicity, I agree on this one, but historically speaking you were also mixed with Arabs, Berbers, Jews and slaves centuries ago.

But I was really not thinking about Portugal when I used word Southern Europeans.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,383,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Russians.
Judging by Russians living here I have to say actually Russians are not that super diverse at all. Taking account the area- for a country which is bigger than some of the continents are they look even more uniform.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:33 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I forgot to mention the Italians. The ones from the north are usually fair skinned with light hair, whilst those in the south tend to have olive skin and dark curly hair (Sicily).

Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I forgot to mention the Italians. The ones from the north are usually fair skinned with light hair, whilst those in the south tend to have olive skin and dark curly hair (Sicily).
Well, there is a divide between the south and the north in Italy in terms of pigmentation as it is in most continental European countries. The lighter north and darker south. The " Mediterranean" look may be found anywhere in Italy, but is more frequent in the south and islands like Sicily, Sardinia. Now according to proper studies done on the Italian population as a whole in hair colour; 0.6%(red), 8.2%(blonde), 60.1%(brown), 31.1% black. Piedmont is the lightest region; 0.7% (red), 12.4%(blonde), 63.9%(brown), 23%(black).
Sardinia the darkest region ; 0.2%(red), 1.7%(blonde), 43.5%(brown), 54.6%(black).

Old 10-17-2016, 01:56 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
How Asian percentage wise are Georgians, Turks, and Aremenians?

I have no idea who is more diverse in looks tho ethnically? I mean white Americans look like Brits I guess, usually, but our looks are so "diverse". I also think turkey is a good idea too. I'd have to say it's probably a "white" country that looks the most "diverse".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World