Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,896,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, I'm not here to bash the US. But I don't consider long working hours to be a positive thing. Do people in the US really prefer working long hours just to get a bit more cash in their pockets? And limited vacation time? Just seems unfair to me. I can understand there are cultural differences but doesn't seem very healthy to me.
Plenty don't. Though as Kathryn said, working hours vary. Spanish working hours didn't seem any better than American ones, in some ways worse if you preferred not having a long lunch break and just going home. A woman there I met said the schedules were rather family unfriendly.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,696,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe important, but not really connected to comfort. I don't have a garage, don't care. It's irritating some winter mornings, but I don't need to drive everyday, which I do find a nice plus. I don't say anything about not being able to drive, there's a difference between being able to not drive without much inconvenience and not being able to drive. I like having my car and driving — and I also like that I don't need it day to day.

Personally, I don't like big lawns. If I did own a large lot, I'd probably let a lot grow wild or landscape part something more interesting — many here do own large properties with small lawns. I'd rather have a small yard and have preserved land nearby.
And if you want a small yard and a house with a garage, you can probably find and buy just exactly that. Personally I wouldn't want a small yard but hey, that's just me.

To me, garages and a spacious yard ARE directly related to my personal comfort as well as my personal interests. Which is why is said that different people have different likes. Different things mean "comfort" to different people.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,569,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, I'm not here to bash the US. But I don't consider long working hours to be a positive thing. Do people in the US really prefer working long hours just to get a bit more cash in their pockets?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno
And limited vacation time?
Americans value vacation time but if it came down to having a job that payed significantly more and having 2 weeks a year vacation or a job that paid significantly less but you have 3 weeks vacation Americans would choice the higher paying job over more vacation time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno
Just seems unfair to me. I can understand there are cultural differences but doesn't seem very healthy to me.
This is a legitimate cultural difference between the United States and Europe.

9,962 posts, read 12,463,939 times
I work one day a week that's too short (clearly) but I wish the working week was only 3 days

nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To me, garages and a spacious yard ARE directly related to my personal comfort as well as my personal interests. Which is why is said that different people have different likes. Different things mean "comfort" to different people.
Ok, I didn't see any comfort connection.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Americans value vacation time but if it came down to having a job that payed significantly more and having 2 weeks a year vacation or a job that paid significantly less but you have 3 weeks vacation Americans would choice the higher paying job over more vacation time.
Depends on the Americans, you can't generalize an entire country.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Depends on the Americans, you can't generalize an entire country.
Actually I really can here since historically we as a nation choice more money over more time off.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Actually I really can here since historically we as a nation choice more money over more time off.
No you can't. "we as a nation" is at most an average choice. It's an overgeneralization. Some American's wouldn't.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And if you want a small yard and a house with a garage, you can probably find and buy just exactly that. Personally I wouldn't want a small yard but hey, that's just me.
I'll add that a lot of Northeast suburbs have a zoned minimum lot size, often quite large.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
No you can't. "we as a nation" is at most an average choice. It's an overgeneralization. Some American's wouldn't.
The majority of Americans will work longer hours for more money vs making less and having more time off. You ever been on a job before that paid hourly? People will fight over being able to work overtime for more pay. I've know plenty of people that get paid hourly that will stick around for another hour or two to get time and half. The people who tend not to want to work later for money is because they can't because they got home to the kids or whatever or older workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World