Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 10:08 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,691,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Yeah very different cultures. I don't drive so the American driving culture would be terrible for me!
I actually don't drive either. Public transport down here is terrible too. Luckily my husband drives.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,590,278 times
Quote:
Yeah very different cultures. I don't drive so the American driving culture would be terrible for me!
Is it really as different as some make out? Lots of European countries have suburbs with big box stores (Carrefour?), big supermarkets where most drive. Many European countries most workers drive to work. It's easier to not to drive in Europe, but I'd guess maybe one-third to half of Europeans are living not that drastically different of a lifestyle; it's just a difference of proportions. There's a lot more places in the US where there's little in practical walking distance, but doesn't Finland have some, too. I know England has some.

And there are of European posters [not you] who seriously assume that there's little in most American suburbs besides houses and a few big chains. I'm not sure why some European posters assume that. Just there's not much in close walking distance doesn't mean there isn't anything.

Quote:
That's the problem to me. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where you have to drive anywhere, and especially not to the park/shop/library/school.
I wouldn't really either. But it's not going to be the only factor in choosing where to live.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM

14,377 posts, read 11,774,160 times
Quote:
That's the problem to me. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where you have to drive anywhere
Anywhere? Do you walk to the hospital? To the airport? To the next town, where your friends live?

"Having to drive" in a suburb is equivalent to "having to take public transport" in a city. The choice is a car, or a train/taxi/bus. In other words, you are dependent on something other than your own two legs. No one can walk everywhere they want to go, no matter where they live.

It is really nice to be able to drive exactly where you want to go, when you want to go there.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:50 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is it really as different as some make out? Lots of European countries have suburbs with big box stores (Carrefour?), big supermarkets where most drive. Many European countries most workers drive to work. It's easier to not to drive in Europe, but I'd guess maybe one-third to half of Europeans are living not that drastically different of a lifestyle; it's just a difference of proportions. There's a lot more places in the US where there's little in practical walking distance, but doesn't Finland have some, too. I know England has some.

And there are of European posters [not you] who seriously assume that there's little in most American suburbs besides houses and a few big chains. I'm not sure why some European posters assume that. Just there's not much in close walking distance doesn't mean there isn't anything.

I wouldn't really either. But it's not going to be the only factor in choosing where to live.

If you live right out in the sticks then you need to drive but if you live in a town or city you can get around by walking, bike or bus. There are plenty of people who do drive most places, but out of choice rather than necessity.

One of the biggest factors for me in choosing where to live is that I don't have to walk to far to get to the shops etc. because I do most of my food shopping by foot, its only rarely that I'll ask my OH to drive us to the shop.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:01 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,691,245 times
Quote:
If you live right out in the sticks then you need to drive but if you live in a town or city you can get around by walking, bike or bus. There are plenty of people who do drive most places, but out of choice rather than necessity.

One of the biggest factors for me in choosing where to live is that I don't have to walk to far to get to the shops etc. because I do most of my food shopping by foot, its only rarely that I'll ask my OH to drive us to the shop.
In many US suburbs you can get by on public transport. We got by for years on Public transport in our Rhode Island suburb. Here in Orlando public transport is not so good. You need a car. You would also die of heat stroke walking and waiting for the bus between June and October.
I love public transport in europe. You guys do it well. Even going from country to country, we take the train. We took the train from Copenhagen to Berlin. Paris to Florence, all over Italy etc. We were on foot or on public transport everywhere but the Rhine region of Germany.
American trains are not great either.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 03-19-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Anywhere? Do you walk to the hospital? To the airport? To the next town, where your friends live?

"Having to drive" in a suburb is equivalent to "having to take public transport" in a city. The choice is a car, or a train/taxi/bus. In other words, you are dependent on something other than your own two legs. No one can walk everywhere they want to go, no matter where they live.

It is really nice to be able to drive exactly where you want to go, when you want to go there.
Being able to drive versus having to drive. I can walk most places I need to go (the hospital, to where my friends live, anywhere in my town basically) and I can take the bus or train to the next town, bus to the airport etc. I don't need a car at all in my daily life but it is nice to have someone drive me somewhere when I don't want to walk or take the bus. But most of the time I walk everywhere and I like that, keeps me fit and healthy, its cheap and its, of course, environmentally friendly. If I rode a bike I could get places even quicker but I don't like riding bikes.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
In many US suburbs you can get by on public transport. We got by for year on Public transport in our Rhode Island Suburb. Here in Orlando public transport is not so good. You need a car. You would also die of heat stroke walking and waiting for the bus between June and October.
I love public transport in europe. You guys do it well. Even going from country to country, we take the train. We took the train from Copenhagen to Berlin. Paris to Florence, all over Italy etc. We were on foot or on public transport everywhere but the Rhine region of Germany.
American trains are not great either.
The public transport is mostly good, can be expensive though depending on where you are. What I liked when I lived in the city and had a baby, was that I could go on all the buses for free with the pram, I took the bus a lot then!

Old 03-19-2015, 11:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It's surely a good place to live in. I'm thinking more from an urban planning perspective.
I'm not sure why you single it out in particular, maybe because Los Angeles gets a lot of stereotypes. Yes, it's not particularly pedestrian oriented, but neither are the majority of US urban areas. Because its suburbs are relatively dense or "sardine-like", there's more in walking distance compared to most American suburbs. Its geography and demographics are rather unusual for American city. And its "pockets of interesting stuff scattered throughout the area" rather than a center city can have its own charm. Look at its photo thread on the LA forum, few other American cities could compete in having interesting photos as LA. From an urban perspective, LA holds more appeal than anything in the Midwest besides Chicago and in the South (assuming Maryland and DC don't count as southern). Outside of the city itself and some inner suburbs, the San Francisco Bay Area isn't that different urban planning-wise from Los Angeles.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I do understand that. It's just a fact of american culture. I want to live in Europe for a while to experience your walking style culture.
The car/driving culture is so different here.
Is the difference that huge, if you looked at say, Boston?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,399,172 times
Are people aware of NYC, Boston, San Francisco, DC and other places that have extensive public transportation? NYC Subway, Chicago L, Boston Tram-trains, DC Subway, commuter rail lines, San Francisco cable cars etc?

The USA is HUGE AND VARIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is the difference that huge, if you looked at say, Boston?
Boston in a way felt just like England lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World