Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 04:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

I think the furthest I've been from diplomatic assistance would be Chiloe Island, in southern Chile, 1300 Km from the nearest American Consul in Santiago. Next would be Alta, Norway, 1200 Km from Helsinki. By road, the furthest would be St. Pierre et Miquelon, 1600 Km from the US Consul in Halifax, via two ferries, but less than 1000 Km by straight line.

Do not count being on board an airplane over an ocean or other sparsely populated region. If you're a citizen of a country that has limited diplomatic representation abroad, count disance from a consul of a country that has arrangements, like Canadians in a country without an embassy would still be near a British consul who would represent their interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Honestly, probably more more than a few dozen miles, and much closer most of the time. Still, with one exception (Beijing US Embassy), I have never checked in with the embassy/consulate when abroad as is recommended. If I was ever traveling in a hot spot, though, I'd make sure to do so; I did so in Beijing simply because I went for the Olympics and worried somewhat about some kind of unrest.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Khiva, Uzbekistan, which -- at the time I visited -- was 1400 km, as the crow flies, from the nearest US consular office - the embassy in Islamabad. Now of course there are closer US diplomatic offices in Tashkent and elsewhere in the Stans, but this was 1985.

There is also now a US consulate in Peshawar, but I don't know if it existed in 1985. If so, then the distance would be 1280 km.

More recently, the furthest I've strayed from Uncle Sam is Bluff, New Zealand, which is 1022 km by road and ferry, or 784 km in a straight line, from the US Embassy in Wellington.

Last edited by pch1013; 01-02-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
like Canadians in a country without an embassy would still be near a British consul who would represent their interests.
I can't answer your question for myself because I have no idea, but I heard a story about an Australian in Lviv in Ukraine who'd had his passport and wallet stolen. Apparently Australia doesn't have a consulate there but Britain does, so he'd had to go to the British one on his hands and knees instead and say something like "I'm a proud subject of Her Majesty the same as you guys, how about some Commonwealth solidarity here, pleeeease?!" and they sorted him out.

Makes me glad to be from one of the higher-profile countries where I'd probably never have to ask for help from a foreign embassy.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I have no idea!

Old 01-03-2015, 05:48 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Old 01-03-2015, 02:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I can't answer your question for myself because I have no idea, but I heard a story about an Australian in Lviv in Ukraine who'd had his passport and wallet stolen. Apparently Australia doesn't have a consulate there but Britain does, so he'd had to go to the British one on his hands and knees instead and say something like "I'm a proud subject of Her Majesty the same as you guys, how about some Commonwealth solidarity here, pleeeease?!" and they sorted him out.

Makes me glad to be from one of the higher-profile countries where I'd probably never have to ask for help from a foreign embassy.
Your friend may have been miffed by the service at the British consulate, but it is a part of their job.

When my Canadian wife and I were in Jordan, her passport pages got filled up and she needed a new one. There was no Canadian consul in Jodan, it was covered by the one in Beirut, but Beirut was then considered unsafe to travel to. So the British consul transported her Canadian passport to the British Consul in Beirut in a diplomatic pouch. The British then took it to the Canadian consul in Beirut to have additional pages affixed, and it was returned to us.

Consular officials can be as rude or pleasant as they personally wish to be, but they are still bound to perform whatever services fall under their jurisdiction.

In the countries where the USA does not have diplomatic representation, there will be an American Interests Section in some other designated consulate, which is bound to assist any Americans with consular service while in he country.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:44 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Cross country agreements for consular services are pretty common. This summarizes the Australia-Canada arrangement. I was pretty surprised to see Honolulu on the list.
http://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emerg...nada-australia

Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Cross country agreements for consular services are pretty common. This summarizes the Australia-Canada arrangement. I was pretty surprised to see Honolulu on the list.
Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement - Travel.gc.ca
Australia also has a consular agreement with Romania However it only covers one Country - Syria.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-03-2015 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Canada-Australia Consular Services Sharing Agreement - Travel.gc.ca
Interesting, I had no idea. I had wondered what you would do if you were, say, Estonian and you got into difficulties somewhere like Burkina Faso where your country probably has no embassy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World