Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM

32 posts, read 175,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
tpo123

IF a person can work and IF the person can find a job then YES they should get up and work. If they can not find a job (not because they pass up jobs because they don't want to work in a particular field, but because they sincerely can't find one) then they should get assistance for as long as it takes to do so. Putting a six months cap on it is silly, and reason I say that is no one can really say how long it will take to get a job given certain market conditions. It might sound cute to tell yourself six months is enough time, but until you have been out there and gone through a difficult time its really just a fanciful idea based on wishful thinking.
hah. wishful thinking? i live in the real world, not a utopian fantasy world.

maybe not everyone, but a LOT of people who don't have to work, quite simply won't. what's the motivation? if a person can get paid to do nothing, do drugs, get drunk...(france) how will that person ever bother getting off their butts?

a 6 month cap is NOT silly...there is always a job out there, it's how cheaply one is willing to work. i.e. a wall street trader who get's laid off (let's assume this person doesn't have any savings for this 'fantasy')- is he going to swallow his pride and go work at mcdonalds? no. should he after 6 months? yes.

now let's say this person can't find work for 6 mo's. he can either (in france) continue geting money for doing nothing, or he can get off his butt and help himself. wehther it be going to get more education to get into another field, or taking the job and mcd's.

you show me someone unemployed, i guarantee i can show you 10 jobs that person can place...it's whether or not the person is motivated to (having gov't money isn't motivation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,419,846 times
tpo

*chuckle*

if you say so man

Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 AM

286 posts, read 1,402,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpo123 View Post
<stirring pot>
one theory as to why french health care works (i can't confirm nor deny that it does/does not).

very high unemployment rate (close to 9% according to a wiki article based on a 2006 estimate). Low working hours-35 is it?

both= less stress= less ppl sick= less demand for docs...docs have more time to treat patients.

(i say this jokingly)
rubbish....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World