Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM

108 posts, read 259,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
^
This is also applicable to Germany and Italy. Outside of the cities, public transport tends to be rather "rare" and "unpopular". I mean no resident needs a car in a dense and vibrant inner-city district when there are two metro stations and six bus stops nearby. The bicycle also has a high status in that type of areas. However, people in villages, rural counties and small-towns just need a car to get from A to B because there is no real bus or regional train service.

In the case of Germany, it is also one of the "Automobile" nations where a good car isn't just a transport vehicle but also part of the "freedom", the standard or the quality of life. Hermann from Bavaria or Heinz from Lower Saxony just tend to love their Volkswagen, BMW or Mercedes Benz.
I agree the same can be said in the UK, for me I love cars so I am biased I guess towards public transport as in my eyes it could never compete with a car especially when it comes to freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,774,856 times
As a pedestrian I am more free, I don't have to stick to any roads or tracks, I can go virtually anywhere, no matter how remote, steep, narrow, etc.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well Oz seems so car dominated, and Italy and Germany are not far behind. That's still a very high rate of ownership, stop quibbling over numbers.
How is that quibbling over numbers? The entire thing is numbers.

The other thing with numbers that is probably more telling is average miles driven per capita. That's where the big differences come in, because having a car doesn't mean you constantly use it. Having a car just makes certain tasks more convenient.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,617,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyhate View Post
Well outside of London I wouldn't say the UK has good public transport most of the cities that have trams service only the city and inner areas known as the trams to nowhere.
This is changing though as there are major tram expansions occurring across the UK - especially in Manchester and Nottingham, where the trams now (or will) extend beyond the cities themselves and into bordering towns.

As for car ownership being high - I can't speak for Germany or Italy, but even though the bigger cities might have rail and trams, smaller towns and cities do not so will rely on cars more. Plus, some people might own cars, but will only use them for long-distance travel or leisure, while going to work on the train or whatever else. Also you need to remember that the car still has the highest share of usage for commuting even in London (even though the underground+train+bus outnumber the car together).

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
List of countries by vehicles per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Countries like Italy, Germany, the UK, Japan.etc are all known for having compact cities, good public transport and walkable cities, yet their rate of car ownership is almost the same as that of countries like the US or Australia with the sprawling cities...why is that? Is owning a car still a status thing, or do people just enjoy using it to go for drives out to the country? Is public transport still not that good in some of these places or is it just plain laziness? I think in Europe, at least, cars aren't so big as in the US and aren't as used as much, so the impact is quite a bit less than ownership rates would suggest.
Italy, Germany, UK, Japan, US and Australia are all developed nations where even "poor" people can afford cars....

Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,737 times
Cars and gas is cheap in the United States, and car is necessary in most places here.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,617,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Italy, Germany, UK, Japan, US and Australia are all developed nations where even "poor" people can afford cars....
Definitely. Here is a poor district in my city, one of the poorest actually (even though it doesn't look bad): http://goo.gl/maps/vKH1w

Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,883,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Definitely. Here is a poor district in my city, one of the poorest actually (even though it doesn't look bad): http://goo.gl/maps/vKH1w
Looks normal. Leeds looks like nice city but I hate left side drive and your weather.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,511,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How is that quibbling over numbers? The entire thing is numbers.

The other thing with numbers that is probably more telling is average miles driven per capita. That's where the big differences come in, because having a car doesn't mean you constantly use it. Having a car just makes certain tasks more convenient.
This might be of more assistance, and makes interesting viewing

Countries ranked by Road sector gasoline fuel consumption per capita (kg of oil equivalent)

Obviously I can not say how correct these are, I find in hard to believe than an average american could burn almost twice as much fuel per year than your average Australian.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,474,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
This might be of more assistance, and makes interesting viewing

Countries ranked by Road sector gasoline fuel consumption per capita (kg of oil equivalent)

Obviously I can not say how correct these are, I find in hard to believe than an average american could burn almost twice as much fuel per year than your average Australian.
The average car in the U.S. is driven about 15,000 miles per year. The comparable figure in Australia, coincidentally, is about 15,000 km per year. That accounts for much of the difference; the rest is probably due to the prevalence of gas-guzzling vehicles like pickup trucks and SUVs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World