Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,556,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
But such conditions were certainly heard of if you add in the historical angle, during the geopolitical ascendancy of leading OECD member nations, even when these nations were regarded to be among the most developed in the world.
Yes, but standards have changed. I'm comparing India with other countries today. I've been to India, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 AM

872 posts, read 1,386,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, but standards have changed. I'm comparing India with other countries today. I've been to India, btw.
In my view, it would be somewhat unfair to be selectively perceptive of the past in this way, but then I can appreciate the opposing case that standards and definitions should be labile over time. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,123,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
How do you define second world?
It sounds like US are a megapolis from ocean to ocean, and other countries are the islands full of the wild men and women. Are we talking about cultural differences or about economical development? You can come to Tokyo (e.g.) and be impressed of their development but be shocked of their habits. And Belarus or Ukraine are the less developed countries, but their people's habits can be more mutual to you.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM

296 posts, read 469,600 times
When the us dollar loses world reserve currency status, you can expect our lives to start matching Calcutta slum standards. Lol

Old 07-12-2013, 05:48 AM

43,715 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
How do you define second world?
Nations that are not as developed as first world countries but more developed than third world countries.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM

491 posts, read 754,559 times
Quote:
It doesn't make sense to put super rich countries like UAE and poor countries like China and Vietnam in the same category.
UAE has a low income per capita... so yeah, it's developing alright

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid such views mainly rely upon long-held preconceptions of India that simply don't resemble the ostensible socioeconomic trends in the country and the macro data. This is somewhat similar to the now defunct arguments that China would never be a global economic power to rival the dominance of the USA.

There are arguments either way and numerous factors to consider aside from wealth distribution. If, as you claim, India is so obviously a part of the third world, then questions such as the following would be arbitrary and pointless:

India: A global economic power? | The World Financial Review
Forbes India Magazine - Is India Part of the First World?
First world India shouldn't need third world aid | Mail Online
with work I've spent 3 months in mumbai/bombay and I didn't need to see the country to understand it was a third world country... heck not even listen to it's chaotic streets, but the smell! Oh god! India has 30 years to go before I would even consider it being a "developing country". The things I saw there still haunt me to this day...

Last edited by MrPilot; 07-12-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Nations that are not as developed as first world countries but more developed than third world countries.
Second world is a political division between the NATO allies (1st world), the communists with THE WARSAW PACT (2nd world) and the rest (3rd)

Today it's more like this though

1. Developed/1st world - USA, Japan, Germany etc
2. In transition - (Few countries, maybe 5) Chile, Slovakia, etc
3. Emerging/Developing - Hungary, Argentina, Brazil, Thailand, China
4. Undeveloped/Third world - Rwanda, Bolivia*, Haiti, India*, Cambodia, Mali

* Ranking might be closer to 3 than 4

Last edited by MrPilot; 07-12-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A place like Dubai is developed.
A place like Dubai LOOKS developed but it's NOT. The day the imported labour force earns >23k usd/year then we can start having this conversation, but as long as they earn 6k /year it still shows where in it's development phase the country is at.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
In my view, it would be somewhat unfair to be selectively perceptive of the past in this way, but then I can appreciate the opposing case that standards and definitions should be labile over time. I guess we'll just have to disagree on this.
I'm sorry but you sound a bit biased... I'm sorry to say that nei is right though Maybe one day it India will be developed but not today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World