Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,633,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, that also makes Los Angeles in your round of picks bizarre which also has neither of those and certainly has far fewer skyscrapers than Tokyo does.
I get this all the time when I mention LA but that is because LA only has a few major skyskrapers that are Manhattan-esque. But they're huge and exhibit a grandeur that makes them unique. Tokyo has a lot of skyskapers but they do not command tha grandeur that is found in Chicago, NYC, Dubai and probably Chinese cities.

I concede to you point about Tokyo though. I just never saw it as that much of a power house. A mega city of course. Probably the mother of all mega cities. But in terms of economics, politics, recognition, tourism, etc. is it really a notch higher than NYC? In reality, Paris, NYC, London and Tokyo are all tied in a class all on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I get this all the time when I mention LA but that is because LA only has a few major skyskrapers that are Manhattan-esque. But they're huge and exhibit a grandeur that makes them unique. Tokyo has a lot of skyskapers but they do not command tha grandeur that is found in Chicago, NYC, Dubai and probably Chinese cities.

I concede to you point about Tokyo though. I just never saw it as that much of a power house. A mega city of course. Probably the mother of all mega cities. But in terms of economics, politics, recognition, tourism, etc. is it really a notch higher than NYC? In reality, Paris, NYC, London and Tokyo are all tied in a class all on their own.
Grandeur is pretty subjective. LA's skyline definitely doesn't do it for me on a personal level and it is factually pretty small and not that tall. Anyhow, if skyline is really your primary factor, then sure, go ahead, but that just means you're looking for a list of great skylines.

I don't know about Tokyo being a notch above overall--for certain things sure. Overall, I'd agree with Paris, NYC, London and Tokyo and might put in Hong Kong as well.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Grandeur is pretty subjective. LA's skyline definitely doesn't do it for me on a personal level and it is factually pretty small and not that tall. Anyhow, if skyline is really your primary factor, then sure, go ahead, but that just means you're looking for a list of great skylines.

I don't know about Tokyo being a notch above overall--for certain things sure. Overall, I'd agree with Paris, NYC, London and Tokyo and might put in Hong Kong as well.
The Skyline is one of many factors I've found that gives a city an overall aeasthetic quality that makes it world class. It's not a definitive factor in the slightest but it does show how far a city has come.

Los Angeles skyline to me wow'ed me because I was expecting a skyline no bigger than the Houston one I grew up. I mean have you seen it in person? The pics do not do it justice and in fact the pics make it look small but if you actually were to look at a pic of downtown and start from the lower buidings next to them you would notice just how huge the buildings really are. I mean yes there are only about 10 Manhattan-esque buildings in LA primary skyline but they're still huge.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
The Skyline is one of many factors I've found that gives a city an overall aeasthetic quality that makes it world class. It's not a definitive factor in the slightest but it does show how far a city has come.

Los Angeles skyline to me wow'ed me because I was expecting a skyline no bigger than the Houston one I grew up. I mean have you seen it in person? The pics do not do it justice and in fact the pics make it look small but if you actually were to look at a pic of downtown and start from the lower buidings next to them you would notice just how huge the buildings really are. I mean yes there are only about 10 Manhattan-esque buildings in LA primary skyline but they're still huge.
I grew up in Los Angeles and in various suburbs of Los Angeles and go back a few times a year. I've seen it in person a lot of times and have been up some of those skyscrapers. I've also seen a lot of skyscrapers elsewhere especially in the US and East/Southeast Asia (including the skyscrapers of Tokyo). I really don't see how LA's skyline is that impressive. It also seems to me to be a fairly minor factor in what makes a city world class.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

No I don't think of LA's skyline as one of the most impressive in the world, but actually it's a bit underrated, it's not bad, especially if you can see the mountains in the background, and it still does have the tallest building west of the Mississippi so it is actually quite tall.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,100,155 times
Paris
Sevilla
Madrid
Barcelona
London
Singapore

Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,326,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Paris
Sevilla
Madrid
Barcelona
London
Singapore
Haha, Spanish centric much?

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM

I do think the LA skyline is underrated. It's probably third in sheer size behind Chicago and NYC.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:30 PM

One more and I swear I'll shut up about LA.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I do think the LA skyline is underrated. It's probably third in sheer size behind Chicago and NYC.
If sheer size is the number of skyscrapers then there are a few other US cities between Chicago and LA. If we're allowing for other cities from around the world then there are many more between Chicago and LA and a good deal between Chicago and NYC and ones before NYC. Sure, LA's skyline is underrated but that's not the equivalent of saying it's one of the best in the world and I still don't see how relevant that is to being a world class city as there are plenty of cities with skylines much larger in sheer size than that of LA which don't seem like world class cities to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World