Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times

Advertisements

Which cities with metropolitan populations of over 5 million people do you think are the least known to the average person?

I didn't say 'mega-city' because to me, a mega-city is 10 million+. 5 million is a big big city, between a sizable city and a mega-city.

Of course there are a few in China, but even within China, there aren't all that many metros with over 5 million that are hardly known. Same with India. Latin America might also have a few.

Some examples I can think of include:

Dhaka, Bangladesh - 7 million with metro of 13-14 million
Chongqing, China - 'metro' of 28 million, although the city region includes a huge area
Tianjin, China - Metro of 10 million
Kinshasa, Congo - Metro of 8-9 million
Tehran, Iran - Metro of 8.5 million
Bangalore, India - metro of 8.4 million
Lahore, India - metro of 8.1 million
Shenyang, China - metro of 8.1 million
Bandung, Indonesia - metro of 7.4 million
Changsha, China - metro of 7.0 million
Hyderabad, India - metro of 6.8 million
Bogota, Colombia - metro of 6.8 million
Surabaya, Indonesia - metro of 6.7 million
Changchun, China - metro of 6.5 million
Amedebad, India - metro of 5.6 million
Harbin, China - metro of 5.6 million - somewhat well known for it's climate

Last edited by Trimac20; 08-22-2012 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Of these list, Changchun and Amedebad strike me as the LEAST known of all, even I hadn't heard of them, while I think most Americans have probably not heard of the rest. Dhaka is probably the most obscure and least impressive of the true mega-cities, imo.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM

6,469 posts, read 8,206,720 times
I believe Tehran and Bogota are the two most known.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,748,117 times
I was gonna say Chongqing, as it has almost the entire population of Canada. It is about the size of Austria as well, pretty big for a municipality.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,545,398 times
I think of those Bogota is by far the most known, but maybe it is to me that i always lived in South America. Tehran is also pretty known.

The rest are pretty unknwon, i agree.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,628,507 times
Dhaka,
Chongqing
Tehran, Iran
Bangalore, India
Lahore, India
Bogota, Colombia

Those are the ones that I automatically recognised.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,650,378 times
Kinshasa is the third-largest metro area on the entire African continent (behind Cairo and Lagos, and ahead of the Johannesburg region) with nearly 10 million people, but it is usually ignored. For a metro of its size, its connections to the outside world are quite limited. Its main airport only has direct flights to three destinations outside of Africa (Paris, Brussels, and Istanbul). Unlike other cities around Africa, it doesn't even have flights to Dubai/Qatar/Kuwait/Abu Dhabi/Riyadh or other Mideast air hubs, nor any flights to China.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
The thought of going to Bogota makes me gag. What a crime-ridden place! The US State Department advises Americans against a trip to Colombia. At least, they used to have some cautionary documentation in place.

My friend's Colombian wife, at intervals of various years, tried to coax me to go down there to visit and hang out with her relatives (and get one of her cousins a green card in the process). This is sad because, due to this repeated behavior, I am no longer friends with her husband, my friend.

I was wondering if you meant "visited." My initial reaction was Buenos Aires. Because it is not on the way to anywhere (such as a connection point for flights), most people who go there make it a deliberate trip. I am really glad I got to see this beautiful and interesting city.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,860,537 times
Bogota, Lahore, Bangalore, Tehran and Dhaka are hardly unknown.

What about Baku, Azerbaijan?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM

25 posts, read 88,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The thought of going to Bogota makes me gag. What a crime-ridden place! The US State Department advises Americans against a trip to Colombia. At least, they used to have some cautionary documentation in place.
How can you so easily dismiss such a large city that, based on the sound of your post, you've never even been to? Bogota is awesome. I've been several times and I loved every minute of it. It's been a couple of years since my last trip so things may have changed, but it was hardly what I would call "crime-ridden" when I was there. And for the record, quite a lot of State Dept. travel warnings are a complete joke. I remember there were travel warnings for Buenos Aires the first time I went, and that was a YEAR after the economic crisis.

And as for the original question, I'm inclined to think that any huge Chinese city that has experienced explosive economic/population growth in the recent past are probably the most unknown. Cities like Dhaka, Tehran, Bangalore, Bogota, etc. have been big cities for a while and, at least to me, have more name recognition. The only cities on the list I hadn't heard of at all were a few of the Chinese ones (Changchun and Changsha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World