Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,855,808 times

Advertisements

Scotland - Like Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow and most of the highlands and islands.

Dislike - Arbroath and Kilmarnock because they are dumps. And Perth because they tend to not like us Dundee people lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just for you - a few photos of New Orleans, my birthplace and my favorite city in the world!
Thanks for the pics Kathryn. I visited New Orleans during the French Quarter festival in April. Had a fun time.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,171 times
In the US, I've lived in the NE, SE, SW, and NW, and traveled through much of the interior. I've enjoyed aspects of every place I've lived, but unless I received a too-good-to-pass-up job opportunity that would enable me to retire early, it would be hard to pry me out of the PNW, where I've lived for the past 15 years. The stunning natural scenery is what drew me here in the first place, but I also love the laid-back, tolerant-of-diversity attitude and culture, and the moderate climate. It took me a while to get used to the gray skies and rain, but now I actively enjoy the climate (especially now, when we've been enjoying 80-degree weather while most of the rest of the country has been broiling). The only other place in the US where I really want to live is Hawaii, my wife's home state, but jobs and finances keep us in Oregon for now.

By the way, everyone here has posted beautiful photos of your favorite places. I had no idea Scotland has such clear, blue ocean water!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,467 times
I prefer to live by family and friends, that is my top choice for a location. I prefer larger cities, though, so I will live in a large city near family as a top choice.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 18 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,931,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why would you assume that?

I've been to most of those places (except Chicago - was offered a job there once and turned it down in favor of moving to South Carolina - and am glad I did so). While I enjoy some aspects of these regions, I certainly don't PREFER them over the American South, not by a long shot. Many people don't, for a variety of reasons.

To each his own, I guess. One thing is for sure, they won't miss you down there. There are plenty of people who absolutely ADORE New Orleans (myself for one) and who have very good reasons for loving it - or no logical reason at all - they just DO.

So you don't care for Virginia? What about the Georgia coast? How 'bout the South Carolina coast? How 'bout Tennessee - Memphis, Nashville, the Appalachians? What about the Ozarks in Arkansas? How 'bout the Gulf Coast of Alabama and Mississippi - Biloxi, Mobile, Gulf Shores? What about the Florida Panhandle? Have you ever driven along the River Road in Louisiana? What about the Appalachians in North Alabama and north Georgia? Have you spent much time in these states that you deem so horrible?
If you are not enthusiastic for one of my favorite regions in the USA such as the Pacific Northwest, California, Northeast, and Chicago Midwest, I won’t get offended and don’t mind.

People are entitled to their preferences for specific locations. To each their own.

Why did you turn down the offer from moving to Chicago and being glad for deciding to move to South Carolina?

As I said before, some of Texas and North Carolina are the exceptions. There is parts and qualities about them I enjoy. What are your views for what I said earlier for Texas and North Carolina?

Sorry, don’t care for the rest of the South outside of that.

Maybe Charleston in South Carolina coast, and Savannah in Georgia coast I could care more about.

There are still lots of people that easily prefer other areas of the USA more compared to the South/Southeast. Also, a lot of people that don’t see the appeal and intrigue with New Orleans, and finding it very overrated.

If you enjoy almost all of the South/Southeast, then embrace it, and don’t care too much about some other people’s opinions with that region.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM

81 posts, read 237,754 times
In Brazil, outside of Rio where I live, I would probably choose some big city in the south, like Curitiba or Porto Alegre....the north and northeast areas don't appeal to me as much.......south and southeast is where it all happens......

Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 AM

27,632 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialeixo View Post
In Brazil, outside of Rio where I live, I would probably choose some big city in the south, like Curitiba or Porto Alegre....the north and northeast areas don't appeal to me as much.......south and southeast is where it all happens......
I also understand it's much more affluent and densely populated.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM

81 posts, read 237,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I also understand it's much more affluent and densely populated.
Definitely.......especially the southeast where our two megalopolis are located......northeast is very nice to visit, with great beaches and beautiful scenery, but not very good to live imo......

Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,900,978 times
Yes in Northern Ireland I can only live on the North Coast. Don't want to live anywhere else countryside is too boring.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
[quote=;25387569]

/QUOTE]

Here's what you said:

You said you ASSUME that I (or others) would prefer the Pacific Northwest, California, Chicago Midwest, Inner West Colorado, and Hawaii over the Southern US. I asked why you would ASSUME such a thing, and then I clarified MY personal opinion which is that I've traveled to most of those places and I simply do not care for them. Your inference was that SURELY if a person has been exposed to these places outside the American South, then they would prefer them. Not so.

Quote:
Why did you turn down the offer from moving to Chicago and being glad for deciding to move to South Carolina?
1. I don't like living in large urban areas.
2. I don't care for Chicago crime rates or politics.
3. Too far from family.
4. Too cold for my taste.

Quote:
There are still lots of people that easily prefer other areas of the USA more compared to the South/Southeast.
Sure there are - and yet 6 Southern states are growing at faster than the US growth rate in population. Four southern states have more people moving TO them than out of them, and only ONE southern state is actually losing population:

So - apparently many Americans find a lot about the South to be quite attractive - attractive enough to uproot their families and MOVE there.

Quote:
Also, a lot of people that don’t see the appeal and intrigue with New Orleans, and finding it very overrated.
So? New Orleans' biggest industry is tourism. That ought to tell you SOMETHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World