Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

I ran into a couple in Guatemala once, who had been talked into going there on vacation by their travel agent, but didn't know anything about the country. They were absolutely desperate for some good nightlife, like they were used to vacationing in high-end tourist destinations, not a sleepy Central American country. People kept referring them farther and farther into the boondocks. Personally, I don't find Guatemala to be boring at all, far from it, but then, I'm not a sophisticated nightlife person. I don't need discotheques and bars and whatnot to be happy. I'm fine with world-class archaeological sites, spectacular scenery, and an exotic culture.

So what countries are boring are very much in the eyes of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 11:14 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
If you are into natural beauty, the US is among the best in the world. But culturally it's extremely boring, monotonous and people are almost always conformists. After a day's hiking, you may want to have some intellectual conversation with the locals, that's where things get really boring.
Did you just call American culture monotomous? Miami, NYC, the south, the midwest, New Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska, the Pacific northwest, San Francisco, Texas, LA, New England, ect. all have different cultures. Someone doesn't know what they are talking about

Old 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
I was actually referring to the older quarters of some of the eastern industrial cities such as those I listed. Those cities were booming before the car took over. Most canadian cities have developed concurrent with the upswing in car use which shaped the planning of most of our cities.
I totally get your point.

I find it's the case all along the border, with some exceptions.

But generally the older areas of American cities reflect the fact that they developed earlier and with more money at the time. In many cases they are in way worse shape than the Canadian cities but if you look beyond the decay you can see the "bones" are much nicer.

Even if the inner cities are definitely bruised and battered, places like Syracuse and Buffalo and even Detroit often have much nicer and more older buildings than Ontario cities across the border.

It's the reflection of another more prosperous era for them. If and when the inner areas of cities like these rebound, they will become pretty attractive urban places.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
. Personally, I don't find Guatemala to be boring at all, far from it, but then, I'm not a sophisticated nightlife person. I don't need discotheques and bars and whatnot to be happy. I'm fine with world-class archaeological sites, spectacular scenery, and an exotic culture.

So what countries are boring are very much in the eyes of the beholder.
Indeed, what are your personal preferences? What kind of trip do you want?

Probably best to determine that before you book your flights.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:26 PM

733 posts, read 602,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Did you just call American culture monotomous? Miami, NYC, the south, the midwest, New Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska, the Pacific northwest, San Francisco, Texas, LA, New England, ect. all have different cultures. Someone doesn't know what they are talking about
Oh, yes, in the same way, Lubbock, El Paso, Dallas, Houston, Beaumont, Laredo, Austin and San Antonio all have different cultures! Yuge differences!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes, in the same way, Lubbock, El Paso, Dallas, Houston, Beaumont, Laredo, Austin and San Antonio all have different cultures! Yuge differences!
Yeah........ so you only mentioned cities in one state. The topic was which country is most diverse culture wise, yet all the cities you listed are located in one particular state or I missing something here? BUT Since you mentioned cities in just one particular state instead of the whole country, I will inform you that Austin is culturally different than San Antonio which is culturally different than Houston which is culturally different than El paso so I'm not really sure what you are trying to prove. If you take the country as a whole you will realize how culturally diverse the USA is listed for example:
Seattle- Pacific Northwest
LA- California
Phoenix/Las Vegas- Southwest
New Orleans- Deep south
Miami- Florida
Chicago- Midwest
Denver- rocky mountain area
DC- Our Nations capital
NYC- The Northeast
Honolulu- Hawaii
Anchorage- Alaska
Atlanta- The South

I've listed the major cities that dominate their specific region...each city is VERY different (culturally) from the other. Not many countries, especially in the western world, can say that.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 PM

379 posts, read 289,058 times
Quote:
This isn't helping your argument at all, considering that each of these cities is indeed culturally different from each other.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wipe0ut2020 View Post
This isn't helping your argument at all, considering that each of these cities is indeed culturally different from each other.
...and that's only within one state too.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:12 AM

733 posts, read 602,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Yeah........ so you only mentioned cities in one state. The topic was which country is most diverse culture wise, yet all the cities you listed are located in one particular state or I missing something here? BUT Since you mentioned cities in just one particular state instead of the whole country, I will inform you that Austin is culturally different than San Antonio which is culturally different than Houston which is culturally different than El paso so I'm not really sure what you are trying to prove. If you take the country as a whole you will realize how culturally diverse the USA is listed for example:
Seattle- Pacific Northwest
LA- California
Phoenix/Las Vegas- Southwest
New Orleans- Deep south
Miami- Florida
Chicago- Midwest
Denver- rocky mountain area
DC- Our Nations capital
NYC- The Northeast
Honolulu- Hawaii
Anchorage- Alaska
Atlanta- The South

I've listed the major cities that dominate their specific region...each city is VERY different (culturally) from the other. Not many countries, especially in the western world, can say that.
In a culturally diverse country like China, each province has at least one distinct dialect. Many of these dialects are so different that they are not mutually intelligible. Cantonese is widely spoken in Hong Kong and Guangdong, but it's not understood at all in other regions like Beijing. The difference between two Chinese dialects can be way bigger than the difference between Italian and Spanish.

Language barriers within China are not uncommon at all. How big is the difference between English spoken in Seattle and Boston? I know they are different, but still mutually intelligible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varieties_of_Chinese

The diversity of food is also minimal in the U.S, not so in China. What considered to be a delicacy in Sichuan could be considered inedible in Shanghai.

China is probably beyond your understanding, let's try Italy instead. Nearly 90% American wines are produced in California, mostly the Napa Valley. In Italy, each region has its own wine and cheese, they are very different and no single region can dominate the market like California.

You need a map to see the regionality of Italian wine. Don't forget Italy is only slightly larger than the state of Texas.

Map of Italian Wine Regions | Wine Folly

Old 07-08-2016, 07:37 AM

529 posts, read 556,368 times
Quote:
Don't forget Italy is only slightly larger than the state of Texas.

Map of Italian Wine Regions | Wine Folly
Texas is actually more than twice as big as Italy:

Texas ~ 700,000 km^2
Italy ~ 300,000 km^2

As for the matter at hand, you're obviously right.
The US come off as very homogeneous culturally, when compared to other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World