Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
And if you'll read back, I have stated over and over that most of the time (not always) a science degree is needed if you intend to pursue a career in the sciences--including engineering.

That said, I think that students would be better served if they didn't have to take a bunch of "fluff" courses to earn their degree. As I mentioned earlier, when will an bio-engineer ever use a class like "Men's Textiles in the Early 20th Century" that they took in order to fulfill an elective requirement.
I don't know about Men's Textiles lol, but science majors have a smaller load of gen ed's. But, gen ed's can be a boon for people. For example, I took a health politics class to fulfill a requirement and I was introduced to Marion Nestle. As a consumer of food products in the US her books (collected data found in the USDA minutes dating back to it's inception) are really must reads for consumers. It never dawned on me until that class because I was simply unaware. My understanding of politics (soft monies, the revolving door, etc) increased exponentially. The prof showed us how to research sites/orgs like census, NIH, CDC, the WHO, etc, to retrieve information efficiently. Those sites can be pretty confusing to navigate even tho there is a rhyme to their reasoning. Was it realted to my major? No? Does it make me a better informed voter today? Yes. I think it's just important that a student researches the classes they'll be taking. For those that are just taking an easy A class to fulfill the requirement, eh, that's a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know about Men's Textiles lol, but science majors have a smaller load of gen ed's. But, gen ed's can be a boon for people. For example, I took a health politics class to fulfill a requirement and I was introduced to Marion Nestle. As a consumer of food products in the US her books (collected data found in the USDA minutes dating back to it's inception) are really must reads for consumers. It never dawned on me until that class because I was simply unaware. My understanding of politics (soft monies, the revolving door, etc) increased exponentially. The prof showed us how to research sites/orgs like census, NIH, CDC, the WHO, etc, to retrieve information efficiently. Those sites can be pretty confusing to navigate even tho there is a rhyme to their reasoning. Was it realted to my major? No? Does it make me a better informed voter today? Yes. I think it's just important that a student researches the classes they'll be taking. For those that are just taking an easy A class to fulfill the requirement, eh, that's a different matter.
That's a great point. Although I'm working in the computer science industry, I still value all of the health/bio classes I had to take as an undergrad. Not only was learning about these subjects interesting to me, it also taught me enough to make me become a healthier person and have a much better grasp on how the human body works .

I had a very minimal understanding of history and politics before entering college. Now I have a much stronger understanding and am able to make sense of what's going on in the world.

Unfortunately, it seems like so many here are solely focused on money and what will advance them in their career. It would be nice to see people take some value in becoming more intelligent, wiser and growing as a person. I know I do.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,102,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
That's a great point. Although I'm working in the computer science industry, I still value all of the health/bio classes I had to take as an undergrad. Not only was learning about these subjects interesting to me, it also taught me enough to make me become a healthier person and have a much better grasp on how the human body works .

I had a very minimal understanding of history and politics before entering college. Now I have a much stronger understanding and am able to make sense of what's going on in the world.

Unfortunately, it seems like so many here are solely focused on money and what will advance them in their career. It would be nice to see people take some value in becoming more intelligent, wiser and growing as a person. I know I do.
My point is that you don't need to pay $300 a credit hour to learn those things. You could check a book on history or politics out of the library and learn--without whatever slant the professor wants to put on it.

I'm not anti-learning, not by any means. I read at least a book a week, almost exclusively non-fiction, with my favorite topics being history, biographies, and sociology/anthropology related. I love to learn. But again, I don't think anyone needs to pay a ridiculous amounts to do so--especially when they are taking on debt as a result.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
My point is that you don't need to pay $300 a credit hour to learn those things. You could check a book on history or politics out of the library and learn--without whatever slant the professor wants to put on it.

I'm not anti-learning, not by any means. I read at least a book a week, almost exclusively non-fiction, with my favorite topics being history, biographies, and sociology/anthropology related. I love to learn. But again, I don't think anyone needs to pay a ridiculous amounts to do so--especially when they are taking on debt as a result.
Well, to start, the classes aren't paid separate. Tuition is just one bill. I took a lot of classes in college and didn't have to pay any more for them, not that I paid for school any way. I know community college is different, but that's a different animal. Also, the point is being introduced to subjects where there isn't a great initial interest. How can a person go and buy a book on a subject they are unaware of? I've never met a person in my day-to-day that knows how to navigate those national and international sites. In the past, I just chalked up to poor web masters.

At my job, I am expected to seek out other scientists (experts) to help me along my path so I don't reinvent the wheel. They will introduce me to tools and ideas I'm not aware of. I see professors the same way. They can be a great resource.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,850,635 times
Interestingly enough, mamy countries complete their equivalent degrees (to USA BS) in 3 years, rather than 4, although there are some that take 4 also.

Three years
Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada (Quebec), Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia (mostly three years, sometimes four), Czech Republic (mostly three years, sometimes four), Denmark, England (three or four years with a one-year placement in industry), Estonia, Finland, France, Germany (mostly three years, but can be up to four years), Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland (Ordinary), Israel (for most subjects) Italy, Jamaica (three or four years), Latvia (three or four years), Lebanon (three or four years), Malaysia, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Scotland (Ordinary), Singapore (honours degree takes 4 years), Slovenia, Slovakia, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Wales and Zimbabwe.

(snippet take from the following link - Bachelor of Science - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well, to start, the classes aren't paid separate. Tuition is just one bill. I took a lot of classes in college and didn't have to pay any more for them, not that I paid for school any way.
This is one of the many things that I think is utterly broken with our higher education system.

Quote:
Also, the point is being introduced to subjects where there isn't a great initial interest. How can a person go and buy a book on a subject they are unaware of? I've never met a person in my day-to-day that knows how to navigate those national and international sites. In the past, I just chalked up to poor web masters.
The more you read and learn, the more aware you are of various subjects/disciplines/industries/peoples/etc.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
This is one of the many things that I think is utterly broken with our higher education system.
The cost of tuition?

Quote:
The more you read and learn, the more aware you are of various subjects/disciplines/industries/peoples/etc.
Learning is comprised of much more than reading. Reading doesn't not provide conversation, alternative views/ways to look at a situation, etc. For example, I'm going to have an intern this summer. I will mentor and guide her. I suppose I could just give her a set of SOPs, a written up description of the project, and a list of my expectations of her, but I wouldn't be doing her any favors. I will be a resource for her that she simply cannot get from a book.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyviv419 View Post
Yeah, now we have something in common i bought my degree the same place you bought ur ignorance. i dont know about you being "shy" but you definitely are arrogant and ignorant.

And from your number of posts, you have no life. you make it a priority to reply everyone??, really?? is it that serious. listen what you need to do is pick up a hobby, volunteer, pick up extra hours, or get a good man (hopefully u are a woman if ur not a woman, get a man) and have mind blowing, back breaking sex and believe me, the last thing on you mind will be how a college degree (which you do not have) makes you feel inferior.

From your words, you should really go back to that college where you dropped out from, and get your degree, that will kind of get rid of one of you problems.
Need I say more about how overrated some college educations are, folks?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Need I say more about how overrated some college educations are, folks?
Frankly, given his post count, I'm suspecting a troll.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
The cost of tuition?
Yes, that's part of it. And that you are forced to take "fluff" classes to get a degree. I remember one of the reasons I didn't get my AA. I had to take a 1/2 credit of "gym." That's not what it was called, but that's what it was.

I was in my mid 20's, and wasn't about to pay tuition to play volleyball or do yoga for 45 minutes three times a week. No thanks. By the way, I was athletic and in good physical shape and still am (before someone alludes to me being overwiehgt or something). But my hackles really went up at the thought of them forcing me to take a stupid gym class and having to pay for it no less! It was a requirement that wouldn't be waived for anyone under the age of 30. Was I in college or high school?

Quote:
Learning is comprised of much more than reading. Reading doesn't not provide conversation, alternative views/ways to look at a situation, etc. For example, I'm going to have an intern this summer. I will mentor and guide her. I suppose I could just give her a set of SOPs, a written up description of the project, and a list of my expectations of her, but I wouldn't be doing her any favors. I will be a resource for her that she simply cannot get from a book.
That's why I surround myself with a great group of highly intelligent people. We meet once a week to drink a little wine and discuss everything from the economy and world politics to the origin of man. Some have advanced degrees, some never went to college, but it's a really great group of people and always a stimulating (and intellectual) conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment