Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times

Advertisements

there is an excellent chance they will fire you b4 end of 2 weeks. better move is leave now b4 that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
And we wonder why our society is overdosed with anti-anxiety and blood pressure medications. Ugh. It's a vicious cycle for a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

Then employers wonder why they end up with staff who realise loyalty only goes one way.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,151 times
Risky move in this economic climate, but I wish you all the best. Peace of mind isn't something you can put a value on. I told myself that when I left my own toxic workplace 2 years ago, and I felt so much better inside.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
I remember when I 'quit' when I was 5 months pregnant and had no intention of going back. Stupid me, I should have lied to get maternity but I'm too honest, so there you go. Being honest doesn't bring in $$.

Anyhow, I hope you get something else soon. Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quitting is only ok for people who

for a woman who has a husband to support her

anyone who is living at home with their parents

Quitting should never be an option for a person who is living on their own

Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Quitting is only ok for people who

for a woman who has a husband to support her

anyone who is living at home with their parents

Quitting should never be an option for a person who is living on their own
Being fired just makes you stronger, right? And you've certainly had experience where that's concerned even though you prefer to say that you were "laid off" - HA!

The typical pronouncements you make (such as this) are in my opinion totally ludicrous and denigrating to all the unemployed.

It's no secret that you're almost 35 years old, have never been a woman, have never been a husband who's supported a wife or a family, have no car, live in a meager rental, have no social skills and endlessly kvetch about your working conditions and how nobody really appreciates you.

I'm no major fan of JS1 but you have some gall trying to portray yourself as some sort of guru employment counselor.

The social misfits who you "counsel" on employment come from the ranks of the disenfranchised in the judicial system. They failed to even get a high school diploma and need another chance to enable them to find their way and become productive members of society. If their future is in your hands where mentoring is concerned then I very much fear for their general well-being based on your innumerable negative posts about working and relationships, not to mention your stance on women which is misogynistic at best.

No doubt most of these lost souls come from families where parents were an issue of abandonment ... They deserve better than you.

Sorry Mods - yank and censure if necessary but I've had a bit of a bellyful of TVSG and everything I've said is based on his own posts - just my opinion when all is said and done. Cheers!

Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Being fired just makes you stronger, right? And you've certainly had experience where that's concerned even though you prefer to say that you were "laid off" - HA!

The typical pronouncements you make (such as this) are in my opinion totally ludicrous and denigrating to all the unemployed.

It's no secret that you're almost 35 years old, have never been a woman, have never been a husband who's supported a wife or a family, have no car, live in a meager rental, have no social skills and endlessly kvetch about your working conditions and how nobody really appreciates you.

I'm no major fan of JS1 but you have some gall trying to portray yourself as some sort of guru employment counselor.

The social misfits who you "counsel" on employment come from the ranks of the disenfranchised in the judicial system. They failed to even get a high school diploma and need another chance to enable them to find their way and become productive members of society. If their future is in your hands where mentoring is concerned then I very much fear for their general well-being based on your innumerable negative posts about working and relationships, not to mention your stance on women which is misogynistic at best.

No doubt most of these lost souls come from families where parents were an issue of abandonment ... They deserve better than you.

Sorry Mods - yank and censure if necessary but I've had a bit of a bellyful of TVSG and everything I've said is based on his own posts - just my opinion when all is said and done. Cheers!

That company actually did me a favor last year because the place was fraudulent and being laid off was the best thing that ever happened to me. I wanted to quit in 2006 but I knew I didn't want to go back home to mommie so I made the best out of it and now don't have to work at that sh*thole ever again.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
(i.e., put in two weeks notice)

The last straw was when BD, my boss, accused me of falsifying my timesheet (I posted a thread about that).

I reported BD's lie to HR, and today was the meeting with HR. HR said that BD denied it. I asked for a layoff/severance package but was told it's not an option.

After 7 months in this caustic work environment, I decided I would rather be unemployed than sick to my stomach at the daily assaults on my character and productivity. I've been unemployed before. Someone else can have my job!

Working there is like being cross-examined on the witness stand, but there's no judge to overrule the leading questions!

I've worked some crappy jobs, but at least those had a supervisor who was on the same team as me. One time I worked in a convenience store in the middle of the night and got robbed at gunpoint. This job that I'm quitting is actually worse than that, mentally speaking.

We are a small team, so I feel sorry for my co-workers DD, LJ and SLN. They will each have 1/3 more work to do and 1/3 more b.s. coming from BD since BD's #1 target has left the building.
No offense,OP, but you seem to be accentuating your supervisor's failings and eliminating yours.
Unless your ex-supervisor was an anti-social personality,it's doubtful that they decide to focus solely on you as the target of their wrath.
What did YOU do?

From the sound of your posting,it appears that unless you make substantial changes in the way that you do things, you will likely have issues wherever you go to work.
Glad you've moved on...let's see if you can move on in your career.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Okay...so now you quit your job...then what are you going to do.

But wait...you are smarter and more intelligent then your former employer...you don't need them. Go into a business of your own and experience the headaches of being an employer of some people that dog their way thru the 8 hrs they are there. The shoe might not fit the same but will still give you an idea of what a job really is.

Experience the hrs...money investment...more work for less pay in the long run and then a person will appreciate that mgmt or owners do not always have a rosey bottom line.

Seems to me that most posters are complaining of their jobs and are not excited of their past experiences. They are all just employees and are expecting others to offer them employment and a pay check. Do I sound like a employer?...yes...I was for 36 yrs. I did at one time have a problem with a supervisor for something NOT my fault...and I QUIT. I went into business for myself and NEVER looked back. It took guts I know.

People need to remember that with funds and/or the needed knowledge they can also start their own business and sign the paychecks instead of just receiving one.

So...instead of crying the blues about your job...you can be the doee or the doer...make the decision and live with it.

Steve

Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That company actually did me a favor last year because the place was fraudulent and being laid off was the best thing that ever happened to me. I wanted to quit in 2006 but I knew I didn't want to go back home to mommie so I made the best out of it and now don't have to work at that sh*thole ever again.
The place was "fraudulent"? Pray tell what that means. And in 2006 you were over 30 years old and surely "going back home to mommie" shouldn't even have been a viable option since you have no dependents and no fiscal liabilities. Give me a break, Grasshopper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment