Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,062 times

Advertisements

I am a twenty year old woman who has been offered a job 2 hours away from home. Original when applied it came with housing, and now it doesn't. I'ts for a theme park and would pay out $80 a day, and with my car it would be 50 a day. I just got engaged and we are looking at a house. Right now he's the bread winner for us. I joined the USAF but will not leave until mid sept. Im not worried about the time spent from home, he has a full time job, the farm, and rodeos on the weekend so hes at the house maybe 4 of 24 hours, I would be gone 15-16.
I know the money doesn't seem like much but jobs here are part time and few and far between. Even if I had one I would be taking home about 200 more a week.
has anyone else done a 2 hour drive?
and is it worth the security (if i cant find work we will not get the house)?

OH and we are getting a house even though I've joined bc he will stay home to work the farm for most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM

15 posts, read 48,665 times
Default Give it a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoWifeRodeoLife View Post
I am a twenty year old woman who has been offered a job 2 hours away from home. Original when applied it came with housing, and now it doesn't. I'ts for a theme park and would pay out $80 a day, and with my car it would be 50 a day. I just got engaged and we are looking at a house. Right now he's the bread winner for us. I joined the USAF but will not leave until mid sept. Im not worried about the time spent from home, he has a full time job, the farm, and rodeos on the weekend so hes at the house maybe 4 of 24 hours, I would be gone 15-16.
I know the money doesn't seem like much but jobs here are part time and few and far between. Even if I had one I would be taking home about 200 more a week.
has anyone else done a 2 hour drive?
and is it worth the security (if i cant find work we will not get the house)?

OH and we are getting a house even though I've joined bc he will stay home to work the farm for most of the year.
It's really hard to get a job given the economic crisis and high rate of unemployment. You're one lucky gal to have gotten a job although it seems far from home. And since you really need money to get a house I think it would be better if you give it a try. Accept the job and work hard, your goal is to save money for a house so always keep that in mind. After a period of time, if you aren't happy with your job then find another one and at that time you already have more experience so you have greater chance of being hired. Btw, what's your job at the theme park? And have you tried applying for a job near your place?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:27 PM

460 posts, read 1,141,215 times
You're not even married yet, and plan on the money to purchase a home? Would you be married at the time of purchase? Plus, you are leaving the home in a few months. You are quite young. Just make sure you are going into things with your eyes open.

And if you want to work on your relationship, or will be a newlywed prior to deployment, you might want to focus on staying closer to home so you'd have some time.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,370,247 times
2 hour drive each way? What kind of car do you drive? count in fuel economy to that with rising gas prices. Esp theme parks make you work real late at night sometimes. You could fall asleep on the way home w/ a 2 hour commute each way. Dangerous. I say NO WAY.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 PM

475 posts, read 1,645,351 times
4 hour commute, don't even try it. your going into the USAF you will be moving every two to four years don't get a house. FYI, if stays at the farm and you are aways gone, you won't be married long anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment