Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM

29,872 posts, read 25,009,573 times

Advertisements

I hear an awful lot of grumbling about the lack of work. I took a walk today and stopped at a bar. Quite a few union contractors and workers frequent there. I got to talking and exchanging stories. I happened to have a bunch of my old "business cards" from when I did handy man work years ago. Anyways, I got folks who wanted their break pads/rotors replaced, oil changed, decks and siding put up... All kind of work that I have done in the past. I even had someone interested in homecare, which I did when the recession hit. Once one person found out I am a generalist with regards to the work I have done, others started asking.

What folks seemed to respond to was that I am willing to work. Quite a few said it's hard to find decent workers these days. I know the price of everything has gone up, and many of us aren't getting raises, but we still depend on our livelihoods and work ethics to get by. I don't know how others were raised but I was taught that your reputation precedes you. That is to say, your reputation tomorrow depends on the work you do today. Anything I do, I do it like I mean it Admittedly, you still, you have to sell yourself.

At any rate, I wasn't even trying to sell my services. I was just chatting with some contractors and they seemed to take a liking to my story and experience. So, after work tomorrow, I have a job assisting with a deck installment and someone might be calling about in home care for an elderly loved one. And yes, a quick break pad job that would normally cost $400 at Midas. More work than I can handle, but with today's unemployment numbers, it's good to know there is work to go around.

Maybe it's time for folks to rethink their strategies a bit. Tons of people need things done, and tons of people need work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,440,423 times
Seems like you planned that, huh? "Happened to have a bunch of my old business cards"

Yeah I think doing quality work is very important. But some of people just don't have all these extra skills to get them by.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 PM

25 posts, read 20,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I hear an awful lot of grumbling about the lack of work. I took a walk today and stopped at a bar. Quite a few union contractors and workers frequent there. I got to talking and exchanging stories. I happened to have a bunch of my old "business cards" from when I did handy man work years ago. Anyways, I got folks who wanted their break pads/rotors replaced, oil changed, decks and siding put up... All kind of work that I have done in the past. I even had someone interested in homecare, which I did when the recession hit. Once one person found out I am a generalist with regards to the work I have done, others started asking.

What folks seemed to respond to was that I am willing to work. Quite a few said it's hard to find decent workers these days. I know the price of everything has gone up, and many of us aren't getting raises, but we still depend on our livelihoods and work ethics to get by. I don't know how others were raised but I was taught that your reputation precedes you. That is to say, your reputation tomorrow depends on the work you do today. Anything I do, I do it like I mean it Admittedly, you still, you have to sell yourself.

At any rate, I wasn't even trying to sell my services. I was just chatting with some contractors and they seemed to take a liking to my story and experience. So, after work tomorrow, I have a job assisting with a deck installment and someone might be calling about in home care for an elderly loved one. And yes, a quick break pad job that would normally cost $400 at Midas. More work than I can handle, but with today's unemployment numbers, it's good to know there is work to go around.

Maybe it's time for folks to rethink their strategies a bit. Tons of people need things done, and tons of people need work.
Good for you, my friend (no sarcasm intended)

Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Seems like you planned that, huh? "Happened to have a bunch of my old business cards"

Yeah I think doing quality work is very important. But some of people just don't have all these extra skills to get them by.
Not at all planned. I got them free through a business card site about 4 years ago. They still had "proudly serving Metro Detroit" on them even though I moved. I got about 100 of them and always kept my wallet and work area stuffed with them. When talking, I realized I always kept a few in the wallet so it was convenient instead of having people write down my number.

Always show up prepared... Even when you're not preparing

Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,561,154 times
Nice story. Maybe you can pick up some brake pads when you take a break from from working on the deck. If any of the contractors do sheet metal work maybe they'll have a brake to make the bends they need...

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM

901 posts, read 2,253,669 times
That's right years ago we didn't depend on corporations for our livelyhood.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Nice story. Maybe you can pick up some brake pads when you take a break from from working on the deck. If any of the contractors do sheet metal work maybe they'll have a brake to make the bends they need...
Well, it should be apparent that I've dusted a few off while I was in the bar... So give me a break

Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 PM

382 posts, read 665,221 times
You already had a job already. It is much easier to pick up jobs on the side. You did not pose the "I need a job aroma". I have done some generalizing myself back in my past and 9/10 these odd jobs pops up when it was least expected. I honestly feel if you were obligated to find work, then you would had a tougher time persuading people into utilizing your services. Who knows, I'd say it is more so when it's least expected when both parties are calm and discussing over things versus it is easy to find work.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,144,573 times
Good job, Andy.

I had 4-5 college-aged relatives move without jobs. They had retail jobs within 1-2 months.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,542,209 times
Are you planning to keep track of all this extra earned income and pay taxes to the IRS on a quarterly basis? Don't forget to track expenses as well so you can deduct them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment