Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:04 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,221,600 times

Advertisements

Wow, so much abuse for a guy posting a positive story and a bit of good luck. I'll never understand the cynycs who always see the class as half full and that half is some kind of scam. Some things are just as they are presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,157,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I hear an awful lot of grumbling about the lack of work. I took a walk today and stopped at a bar. Quite a few union contractors and workers frequent there. I got to talking and exchanging stories. I happened to have a bunch of my old "business cards" from when I did handy man work years ago. Anyways, I got folks who wanted their break pads/rotors replaced, oil changed, decks and siding put up... All kind of work that I have done in the past. I even had someone interested in homecare, which I did when the recession hit. Once one person found out I am a generalist with regards to the work I have done, others started asking.

What folks seemed to respond to was that I am willing to work. Quite a few said it's hard to find decent workers these days. I know the price of everything has gone up, and many of us aren't getting raises, but we still depend on our livelihoods and work ethics to get by. I don't know how others were raised but I was taught that your reputation precedes you. That is to say, your reputation tomorrow depends on the work you do today. Anything I do, I do it like I mean it Admittedly, you still, you have to sell yourself.

At any rate, I wasn't even trying to sell my services. I was just chatting with some contractors and they seemed to take a liking to my story and experience. So, after work tomorrow, I have a job assisting with a deck installment and someone might be calling about in home care for an elderly loved one. And yes, a quick break pad job that would normally cost $400 at Midas. More work than I can handle, but with today's unemployment numbers, it's good to know there is work to go around.

Maybe it's time for folks to rethink their strategies a bit. Tons of people need things done, and tons of people need work.
I think the grumbling you are hearing is from people who are looking for some sort of job that will lead to a career, or at least steady work.

I'm pretty sure they could take odd jobs if they wanted to and needed the $, they just don't NEED it for now.

I think that's what's lost. The world is able to support most people. If I lost my job, I could go back and live with my parents for probably another 20 years. It'd cost them a nominal amount to house and feed me. So, I have a lot more flexibility in terms of jobs.

That's why you don't saddle yourself with children.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,686,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think the grumbling you are hearing is from people who are looking for some sort of job that will lead to a career, or at least steady work.

I'm pretty sure they could take odd jobs if they wanted to and needed the $, they just don't NEED it for now.

I think that's what's lost. The world is able to support most people. If I lost my job, I could go back and live with my parents for probably another 20 years. It'd cost them a nominal amount to house and feed me. So, I have a lot more flexibility in terms of jobs.

That's why you don't saddle yourself with children.
Congrats OP on picking up some extra side work. People aren't going to find careers by sitting around in front of their computer collecting handouts from the government. I think the point that OP was trying to make is that you really need to get out there and talk with people to find work.

A lot of people don't need to do side jobs because they have Uncle Sam taking care of them. Therefore they are inactive and can't sit and complain which isn't good.

A friend of mine is picking up odd jobs while he looks for full-time work to stay active. These odd jobs help him pay rent and food.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,709,494 times
Quote:
I hear an awful lot of grumbling about the lack of work. I took a walk today and stopped at a bar. Quite a few union contractors and workers frequent there. I got to talking and exchanging stories. I happened to have a bunch of my old "business cards" from when I did handy man work years ago. Anyways, I got folks who wanted their break pads/rotors replaced, oil changed, decks and siding put up... All kind of work that I have done in the past. I even had someone interested in homecare, which I did when the recession hit. Once one person found out I am a generalist with regards to the work I have done, others started asking.

What folks seemed to respond to was that I am willing to work. Quite a few said it's hard to find decent workers these days. I know the price of everything has gone up, and many of us aren't getting raises, but we still depend on our livelihoods and work ethics to get by. I don't know how others were raised but I was taught that your reputation precedes you. That is to say, your reputation tomorrow depends on the work you do today. Anything I do, I do it like I mean it Admittedly, you still, you have to sell yourself.

At any rate, I wasn't even trying to sell my services. I was just chatting with some contractors and they seemed to take a liking to my story and experience. So, after work tomorrow, I have a job assisting with a deck installment and someone might be calling about in home care for an elderly loved one. And yes, a quick break pad job that would normally cost $400 at Midas. More work than I can handle, but with today's unemployment numbers, it's good to know there is work to go around.

Maybe it's time for folks to rethink their strategies a bit. Tons of people need things done, and tons of people need work.
Andy, I know from your many posts on the board that you're a hard worker and not a guy who rests on his laurels.

That being said, as someone who is taking care of an elderly parent myself, I can't imagine hiring someone I met in a bar to help out. These days even if you go through an agency you would be very lucky to find someone who is honest, reliable, and has what it takes to do that kind of work.

Not saying you're not capable, but I find that odd that someone would be willing to let someone they met in that environment take on such a task. These days in my area their are horror stories of families hiring a caregiver and find out the meds are being stolen along with the ATM card and any valuables that catch their eyes. You have to really check HHC workers out, even if you're going to be present when they're in the home.

As far as brakes go, unless I know you really well or you you're not touching my car. I won't even go to a mechanic without someone I know saying they're good. I would rather pay a little more and have a receipt with a guarantee on the work, than let someone I just met or know very casually from a bar work on my car, and of all things the brakes.

So while you have a point, there are two sides to the coin. Someone coming into a bar and flashing all types of business cards from mechanic to elder care, well unless you're in a small town where people know you, I would wonder about scams.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,613,845 times
Quote:
I hear an awful lot of grumbling about the lack of work.

Lots of work in the Seattle metro area... everything from general labor to Boeing/Microsoft engineers. Amazon has been doing a TON of hiring as of late. The unemployment rate is back to the pre-recession 5%. If you want to work you'll find it here.

I lost my job in June due to a conflict with ownership... and had another one making the same money with better benefits in TWO DAYS. I'm not talking about a McJob... I'm taking about $60k base.

I left the east coast and its horrible job market 2 years ago... don't miss it at all.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,052,375 times
Can you make a living on installing random brake pads and helping out with projects around other people's homes? If not, than these side-jobs are not a viable replacement for real jobs that pay a living wage, the lack of which people are rightly complaining about. I'm all in favor of folks finding ways to make some money on the side, but such jobs rarely pay enough to really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM

29,919 posts, read 25,045,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Lots of work in the Seattle metro area... everything from general labor to Boeing/Microsoft engineers. Amazon has been doing a TON of hiring as of late. The unemployment rate is back to the pre-recession 5%. If you want to work you'll find it here.

I lost my job in June due to a conflict with ownership... and had another one making the same money with better benefits in TWO DAYS. I'm not talking about a McJob... I'm taking about $60k base.

I left the east coast and its horrible job market 2 years ago... don't miss it at all.
This area has quite a bit of work, but most places don't want to pay. I've sent a number of resumes out during the past couple months. Almost everyone calls back wanting me to come in for an interview. Before doing anything, I ask what they would be willing to pay, and the figures never top what I make right now. Of course, they brag about how much OT opportunity I could be having The other danger is that if you take a higher paying position because they need people bad, as soon as things slow down, you will be the first one gone.

Seattle is pretty expensive. I don't think I would want to leave this place for 60K. I can earn that with a bit of OT, and I believe the COL is lower here. Even better, I already know where to find the values when shopping, as well as the value friendly neighborhoods. Takes time to figure that stuff out when moving to some place new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Can you make a living on installing random brake pads and helping out with projects around other people's homes? If not, than these side-jobs are not a viable replacement for real jobs that pay a living wage, the lack of which people are rightly complaining about. I'm all in favor of folks finding ways to make some money on the side, but such jobs rarely pay enough to really matter in the grand scheme of things.
When the recession began, there was very little work to go around. I was able to take several part time jobs to make ends meet for a period of time. What really helped was all the additional projects I found. 2X a month I cleaned a church gathering hall that was used to host random events. The job paid $40 for two hours of work, so around $80 extra dollars a month. That's a couple utility bills knocked out. Found a couple part time homecare gigs. One of which was through a friend and the other was found on craigslist. Very easy $11 - $13/hr where I could sit and do homework.

Random automotive maintenance and repair was easy money. My dad had every automotive tool imaginable, along with maintenance manuals. The internet has tons of info on everything imaginable, including detailed instructional videos if it's something you're not 100% familiar with. Shop rates for an automotive place push $120/hr. Very easy to beat that while paying taxes on your earnings. Brake jobs were always easy money, since the auto places want $400 to replace brake pads and rotors. I also had access to a precision grinder that I could grind used rotors with. After paying myself $100 for the hour of labor, the total cost I charged was about $200-$260. Gave a few cards out to customers and their relatives and friends would start calling.

These are just a few examples of how a resourceful individual can bring in extra money. I never said anything about making a living doing side projects. It's more ideal for someone making a less than desirable income who wants some extra money. Even when I wasn't making much money working at my day job during the recession, I was still able to make 40K a year. Of course, it's much easier to complain. Path of least resistance is what dooms most people. I know CD and the TV make for inviting escapes from the crap times we're living though...

Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,556,145 times
Quote:
Of course, it's much easier to complain.
Who's complaining? Overall, I am not seeing a trend of complainers here. I am seeing a trend of more folks getting nice offers and/or jumping ship for better opportunities.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,824,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Considering how Amazon treats their workers, I'm not surprised in the least they're hiring. The good employees found better places to work.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 PM

29,919 posts, read 25,045,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That being said, as someone who is taking care of an elderly parent myself, I can't imagine hiring someone I met in a bar to help out. These days even if you go through an agency you would be very lucky to find someone who is honest, reliable, and has what it takes to do that kind of work.

Not saying you're not capable, but I find that odd that someone would be willing to let someone they met in that environment take on such a task. These days in my area their are horror stories of families hiring a caregiver and find out the meds are being stolen along with the ATM card and any valuables that catch their eyes. You have to really check HHC workers out, even if you're going to be present when they're in the home.

As far as brakes go, unless I know you really well or you you're not touching my car. I won't even go to a mechanic without someone I know saying they're good. I would rather pay a little more and have a receipt with a guarantee on the work, than let someone I just met or know very casually from a bar work on my car, and of all things the brakes.

So while you have a point, there are two sides to the coin. Someone coming into a bar and flashing all types of business cards from mechanic to elder care, well unless you're in a small town where people know you, I would wonder about scams.
Brakes are such an easy job, yet a misstep could lead to catastrophe. I generally take the time to explain the process, from start to finish, in thorough detail. This provides some reassurance that I know what I'm doing. I also explain short cuts, like the fact that the caliper does not have to be opened in order to be compressed. Many people take the whole thing apart, but a C clamp can be used instead of a standard caliper compressor which requires disassembly of the unit.

When it comes to letting a stranger in the home, I doubt I would want a stranger doing it either. At the same time, these agencies are hiring the lowest paid workers ($9/hr). You get what you pay for, and in this case, you get what the agency is paying for. $9/hr part time is a poverty wage, and at those wages, you're getting the hungriest of candidates. So hungry in fact, that many probably wouldn't think twice about swiping cash in the open if they saw it. I'm full time employed, make a good income, and would be more likely to donate to charity than to steal. Hard to convey this, but I really wasn't trying to get a home care gig. One of the folks just mentioned that they have a loved one in need of a couple hours a day a couple times a week, and I live literally down the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
A lot of people don't need to do side jobs because they have Uncle Sam taking care of them.
Uncle Sam is quite generous, isn't he

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Who's complaining? Overall, I am not seeing a trend of complainers here. I am seeing a trend of more folks getting nice offers and/or jumping ship for better opportunities.
We have a loose haggle of repetitious complainers who make doom and gloom statements on a daily basis. That's the last thing anyone should be surrounded with. Sometimes, people have to surround themselves with positive thoughts, otherwise you lose the motivation to really try. If you believe failure is a guarantee, how much time, energy and money are you really going to invest in your pursuits?

That's one thing I believe makes America so resilient. Against all odds, we actually make a committed effort. At least, that was true for a time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment