Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:49 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,376,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Careers that are still hot:

Diesel mechanic, HVAC, radiology specializing in mamograms, physical therapy, and institutional food service. In some areas of the country RN is also still a hot field.
Actually, Physical Therapy Assistants are in high demand, as are Occupational Therapy Assistants, sleep techs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,376,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Nurse practitioner (just a 2 year masters), makes about 90% of a primary care physician, or about $130k a year. Compare this to a physician who has to go to 4 years of medical school (and $$$ of debt), 3-7 years of residency (working 80 hrs a week for $50k a year). And that nurse practitioner probably doesn't have the academic ability to get into a US medical school if her life depended on it.

With the Obama health care plan, the next time you go to your doctor's office, you'll never actually see a real MD, all you're going to get are the med school rejects.
Did you come up with this all by yourself or are you truly as misinformed as you appear to be? What is more frightening is that for every one like you who believes this nonsense, there are 20 - 30 or more who agree but don't broadcast it.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 PM

26 posts, read 195,718 times
Physical Therapist
Occupational Therapist

Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 AM

14,413 posts, read 22,595,374 times
The hottest career is the job that make you happy

Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,141,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
What would you say are the hottest careers these days?
Government. Growing by leaps and bounds while everything else is tanking.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,723,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
+1

This is the only post I agree with...

I decode the OP's title to something one can get a job after some training...

Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,133,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
+1

This is the only post I agree with...

I decode the OP's title to something one can get a job after some training...
I guess it's coming to that point now where you got to get trained in whatever just happens to be hiring.

Healthcare's always going to be a hot-field with plenty of job-security, but with all the BS they have to put up with, that usually means the turn-over rate would be pretty high.

Blood and guts are pretty easy for me to deal with, but the "whining" factor has made me cross my fingers again with a return to the trucking industry.

The way I see it, things are still going to need moving whether or not a train's involved.
Some areas don't have access to track-age, some freight is time-sensitive, and there's always going to be plenty of drivers who can't handle being away from home for at least a week.

Right now, it's just me, myself, and I, so being away from home-base indefinitely won't bother me that much.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM

4,930 posts, read 3,393,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Hate to agree, but this is the cold, hard truth unfortunately.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,691,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Nurse practitioner (just a 2 year masters), makes about 90% of a primary care physician, or about $130k a year. Compare this to a physician who has to go to 4 years of medical school (and $$$ of debt), 3-7 years of residency (working 80 hrs a week for $50k a year). And that nurse practitioner probably doesn't have the academic ability to get into a US medical school if her life depended on it.

With the Obama health care plan, the next time you go to your doctor's office, you'll never actually see a real MD, all you're going to get are the med school rejects.
Spoken like someone who's been listening to too much Rush Limbaugh and watching too much Fox Noise. The Obama health care bill will actually increase business for doctors since more people will have access to insurance. As for not being able to get sufficient face time with your doctor, this has nothing to do with the reform bill. It has to do with the economic realities of our health care system. Medicine is a volume business. The more time the doctor spends with you, the less money he makes. That's why there's more pressure to send nurses and nurse practitioners to see patients. This pressure isn't coming from the reform bill. It's coming from hospitals and health care organizations who are looking to cut costs. As for your last point about how nurse practitioners don't have the academic ability to cut it med school, you couldn't be more wrong. I have friends and family who are doctors and they all say the same thing. Succeeding in medicine has nothing to do with how smart you are and EVERYTHING to do with how hard you're willing to work. What's also true is that there are plenty of people out there who are more than capable of being doctors, but don't have the means. Med school isn't exactly cheap and not everyone wants to spend that many years in school and training and come out with a HUGE debt and be sued constantly. So don't go assuming that everyone who didn't want to become a doctor was just a reject.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:54 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,133,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Succeeding in medicine has nothing to do with how smart you are and EVERYTHING to do with how hard you're willing to work. What's also true is that there are plenty of people out there who are more than capable of being doctors, but don't have the means. Med school isn't exactly cheap and not everyone wants to spend that many years in school and training and come out with a HUGE debt and be sued constantly. So don't go assuming that everyone who didn't want to become a doctor was just a reject.
Take the lawyers out of the equation and I'm quite sure more people would be less afraid to take on the challenge.

As for myself, I just never really was a fan of school from the get-go.
While everyone else sought out the extra credit, I turned in whatever was due and went home.

Underachievers UNITE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment