Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM

84 posts, read 268,096 times

Advertisements

My husband holds a management position. Not too long ago he had the opportunity to "wow" some of the executives while working on a project. The CEO personally called him yesterday to ask him his opinion on starting a new position. He said there would be a "significant bump" in salary. There is also a lot of travel involved with this opportunity AND they want him to relocate.

He doesn't want to travel and he doesn't want to relocate. The client is really pushing to get my husband on board with the position. He has some negotiating power right now. Some of the other executives thinks he should hire someone to negotiate salary/job benefits, but we're going to try this on our own.

Any advice/tips on negotiating job benefits and salary? Should we look into hiring someone for advice since the company is asking so much of him (over 50% travel, relocating, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,923,708 times
Well I think the first thing your husband has to ask himself is, what amount of money would be enough to get him to relocate and travel all the time? If there is absolute no amount of money that would get him to do it, he should assert his position NOW.

Because if he tries to negotiate, and the employer offers him exactly what he wants--and he still turns it down because he doesn't want to travel or move, then the employer is probably going to be pretty pissed off that he led them on. Even if he doesn't want the job, he shouldn't burn the bridge.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:30 PM

84 posts, read 268,096 times
Thanks for the input. We do have a salary in mind if we had to move. It's tricky because we just bought our first home and we got the tax credit for it. The company would have to figure that in the costs if we had to relocate.

He wouldn't burn his bridges.. He has way too many good connections and he has put way too much work into the company. We are just hoping they offer him what he wants (less than 50% travel+no relocation) for a good salary. We want to push them a little for this, but we don't want to overstep our bounds I guess.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM

5,937 posts, read 4,707,668 times
What Kodaka said is right on. Definitely have a price, even if it ridiculous. Your husband will be blacklisted if they meet his offer and he still turns it down.

I've never negotiated for anything that "high up." I've negotiated a 50% bump in salary and earning a senior manager's vacation benefits before the age of 30. I'd put this on a much higher level. I wouldn't even know where to begin the negotiations... he might be looking at a 250K salary... or a 1M salary. If there are professionals that negotiate salaries, now is the time to bring them in.

If this was me, my key problem would be the travel. If you don't like travel, you don't realize how much it really makes you miserable until you have to do it. A ton of cash is great, but if he is going to be grumpy for the next decade or more of his life... it is a big sacrifice. However, it is also one of those chances that you only get once and a step that might alter your lives for the better for years.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,923,708 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. We do have a salary in mind if we had to move. It's tricky because we just bought our first home and we got the tax credit for it. The company would have to figure that in the costs if we had to relocate.

He wouldn't burn his bridges.. He has way too many good connections and he has put way too much work into the company. We are just hoping they offer him what he wants (less than 50% travel+no relocation) for a good salary. We want to push them a little for this, but we don't want to overstep our bounds I guess.
I'm not talking about calculating what it will cost to move or what you think they'll give you. That's not negotiation. I mean, 'what's your price'--what will make you really happy to take the job. A million? Two? 50k? 100k?

The price needs to be more than just enough to cover your expenses, and it also needs to be enough that you can actually negotiate to a lower number that will still make you happy.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,926,715 times
I think it's too late to bring in someone in after the fact to negotiate salary, I've never heard of that. The process of course is for the employer to make an offer through your head-hunter, but that process was already bypassed.

...but, your husband knows very well what his skills are and what the demand, thus the price is. You can use relocation and travel as leverage however. There are some other tricks - negotiate a bonus, particularly a hire bonus, negotiate VERY CAREFULLY your relocation benifits (moving, house hunting fees, temporary living, selling costs, purchase costs, agent fees, will they buy your house?) as this can be significant amounts and a badly negotiated rolocation can cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

I would think not being willing to move or to relocate would exclude him from hire, otherwise they would have already given him that choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment