Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,790,844 times

Advertisements

What would you do if you agreed to a salary and then had second thoughts about the salary?

I was offered a position a little over a week ago for a new job I've had my eyes/heart set on for about a year. Salary was never mentioned during the hiring process or in the job description materials.

I got the call while I was at my current job and the HR director just said something along the lines of, "After speaking with the hiring manager and the managers/VP who interviewed you, we feel you are the best candidate for the job and would like to offer you $XX,XXX. How does that sound?"

As I previously mentioned, I was at work at the time and my boss was standing right next to me (who didn't know that I was looking elsewhere so I had to be very vague in my responses) so I simply said, "Thanks! Sure, that sounds great."

During (and after) the recruitment process I was repeatedly peppered with all kinds of praises like, "You have one of the most impressive resumes we've seen thus far." I took a few assessment tests and was told I had some of the highest scores they had ever registered.

To be honest, I'm just very excited about the job and don't want to do anything that would jeopardize the opportunity. And to be frank, I was initially pretty satisfied with the offer when I first heard it. It was probably a 100% raise from my current position if you count total compensation (pay + benefits).

But after doing some more research it turns out the salary offer is close to the bottom 10% of salaries in this particular field nationwide and based on what I've heard, my area's salary is pretty much inline with national averages (perhaps 3-5% higher).

One thing to keep in mind is that I haven't really signed any paperwork or anything and haven't even received the "Official" written offer. This is all to be handled early next week when I show up for orientation.

Should I just accept it and then ask for a raise 6mo to a year out? Is it too late to ask for some negotiation? I fear they'll think it was a cheap bait-and-switch tactic on my part.

Again, I will say that I'm really excited about this job and am really grateful to have this opportunity and am, in practice, OK with the pay. I don't mean to be greedy at all. I'd rather have this job at the rate I originally agreed to than to not have this job at all. I just don't want to set a precedent of being low-balled throughout my career and I don't want to "leave any money on the table" so to speak. That's kind of what happened with my current/soon-to-be-former job where I make significantly less than market pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,674,973 times
Well the HR person should have asked you if you were able to talk since they knew they were calling you at work.

At this point you have accepted the position with the salary they have offered, so you're kind of stuck in that regards.

But it sounds like this is your dream job and more money than you're making now, so focus on that.

Best of luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM

154 posts, read 525,020 times
As seain said, if this is a dream job then it probably is worth taking for less.

That said, you have one chance to negotiate your compensation. Once you join a company it is very hard to make material changes to your compensation outside of annual raises unless they promote you.

Since you have not received a written offer, you can still call back HR and let them know how excited you are, how great a fit you think this is for you and for the new company, and indicate that you couldn't speak freely earlier.

Let them know your concerns about salary and indicate that you would like to see the offer in writing - there are many other things you need to see in the offer in order to make a decision: annual bonus, sign on bonus, relocation, benefits (and required contributions for benefits), etc... It is normal and ok if you do not commit until you see that written offer that spells out everything - so you can play off of that... the base salary seems low but you would like to see the written offer before your continue your discussions with them.

Be direct, do this immediately, and let them know how enthusiastic and excited you are. You have one chance to negotiate your salary. If they can't raise the base, ask for bonuses. Or propose that you draft a 6 month plan with clear objectives that trigger a raise - if you go this route, document the plan in writing and have them sign it.

Again, if this is your dream job, then you need to consider that fact. Early in my career, I always went for the best opportunity even if it paid less and have always been rewarded by those choices.

Good Luck but take action ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment