Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM

25 posts, read 44,421 times

Advertisements

I am currently taking classes to become a network engineer.Could you still get a good salary and job security in becoming a network engineer without having a TS clearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,641,217 times
Network engineering doesn't take a clearance that I know of unless you are working for the government. Plenty of corporations need network engineers.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks bs13690.
How is the IT field down in North Carolina?

Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 30,545 times
Absolutely. The security clearance gives you additional earning potential but you can still make a very good living without the clearance. There is a lot of competition out there right now though due to the economy.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

6,595 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Yes - but pay and stability is dependent on your experience and skills. So don't expect to get that cushy position because you've taken some classes..... but no real life experience to back it up.

A clearance will surely make you more marketable - but you have to first be hired into a company that will sponsor you. Its not like you can get one on your own to pad your qualifications.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM

225 posts, read 1,115,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSTINMD View Post
I am currently taking classes to become a network engineer.Could you still get a good salary and job security in becoming a network engineer without having a TS clearance?
Hi LOSTINMD. I am a network engineer at one of the "big three" telecom companies, and have been for 25 years at the same one, so I would like to think I know what I am talking about when I give you advice. I have also been looking for a new job so I have more insight than I used to.

Here is my two cents. It depends on what you consider a "good salary" for the work. It seems all the kids getting out of college these days all think the should get $100k to start. I can tell you it ain't happening. I have got 25 years and am maxed out at low 80's. With what they *claim* the benefit package is worth, i supposedly make nearly $100k. The other two companies pay slightly more, but not over $100k.

Now....If you have a Top Secret clearance with full scope polygraph, you can work for the govt or dod and START over 100k and go to mid 100's or so. BUT, to get the clearance you need to get in entry level with them. You can't go get a TS clearance on your own or the poly and then you need to KEEP them too, as they are reviewed and revoked. If you have the SLIGHTEST violation of the law or can't take a polygraph and answer every question honestly, forget it. And they will ask you stuff you can't imagine on the poly. Been there done that. Had a TS clearance years ago when we did Govt work. Better hope friends, family and aquaintances have nothing bad to say about you either.

This is a very competetive job and you will work long hours for little appreciation and lots of stress. If I were not in the field already I would not do it again. I am not trying to discourage you, just trying to let you know what you are in for. I would try for a job with a nice private company and don't worry about a clearance if it were me.
Lots of travel (maybe thats your thing) with the govt and dod, plus lockdown in your facility when they deem it necessary and you get out when they say you do.
Good luck with your future.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks everyone for the honest info. So those websites that show the payscale of eah occupations is inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment