Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,077,570 times

Advertisements

It is virtually impossible to compartmentalize. IMHO they are managing you out or mobbing you out. It is pretty clear that you work with terrible people.

It's unlikely that your bosses will be replaced soon. I'm sure they will start off-shoring your position and everyone below you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore_it_manager View Post
Excellent advice. I see exactly what you are saying The part about management being replaced really lit a light bulb for me. That is the problem all the way down the line. The problem goes all the way to the top in my opinion. At least at the level of our division management.

If they aren't supporting I guess my only choice is to find something else. Now I guess how do I handle in the interim to keep myself from going insane? I can't afford to abruptly resign and eventually I will have to go back to the office here soon. I try to let it go in one ear and out the other but then I wind up taking it home with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,952,169 times
Interesting discussion, intelligent responses, reps to all on this thread.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:25 AM

11 posts, read 30,604 times
This is true. They are working on reorganizing the company right now....I think some layoffs may be in the near future anyway. I have already started taking steps to line something else up. It is amazing that such places exist to me

I guess I was spoiled all along having worked places where everyone had the same work ethic and 'whatever it takes' mentality. It just baffles me that all of these things would be tolerated the way they are....and that they have been able to get away with it for so long. You would think that eventually the folks that write the checks and corporate would figure out what is going on and take steps to realign things....or maybe my division is their write-off

Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM

25,606 posts, read 56,697,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmore_it_manager View Post
This is true. They are working on reorganizing the company right now....I think some layoffs may be in the near future anyway. I have already started taking steps to line something else up. It is amazing that such places exist to me

I guess I was spoiled all along having worked places where everyone had the same work ethic and 'whatever it takes' mentality. It just baffles me that all of these things would be tolerated the way they are....and that they have been able to get away with it for so long. You would think that eventually the folks that write the checks and corporate would figure out what is going on and take steps to realign things....or maybe my division is their write-off
It's a rare company nowadays that actually cares about HOW a job gets done - just that it gets done and is a benefit to their bottom line. No one should allow themselves to get invested in their jobs anymore in my opinion - the young people I've seen certainly don't. They've got it figured out. It's us older ones that grew up in a different time that are still naive about the work world of today.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,077,570 times
Yes. Some people, young, and old become very attached to their jobs. Almost like they are in a caring relationship with someone good. I've seen everybody acting very narcissistic these days. Making no attachments and behaving like robots. Opportunism and ruthlessness seems to be traits for survival. This has become wide-spread IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It's a rare company nowadays that actually cares about HOW a job gets done - just that it gets done and is a benefit to their bottom line. No one should allow themselves to get invested in their jobs anymore in my opinion - the young people I've seen certainly don't. They've got it figured out. It's us older ones that grew up in a different time that are still naive about the work world of today.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,928,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
But that's good AND bad. In the old days, people would graduate, find a job and stay with that job until they retired and were given a pension. The job was their life.

Now people want 401K plans and want to be vested right away, they want to be able to move from one job to another as they see fit. They don't want to work at one place, they want flexibility, to be able to move around, also to change careers as they wish.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM

That is the case for me - I am a dedicated employee. I care more about getting the job done and getting it done right then I do about getting there by 9 and making sure I leave by 5. I read your links and it very much sounds like what I am going through.

I expect that there would be laws against this type of behavior. This should be treated just like any other form of harassment IMO. I have only become pushy after repeated reports of problems and obvious lack of response from HR and upper management to correct the issue.

With the job market the way it is...there are likely many people in this same situation and they can't get out because they can't afford to quit and another position isn't readily available.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Well, I think I am going to have to go back today or tomorrow. What do you all think I can expect when I return? Do you think they will dig back in harder than ever or will they leave me alone for a day or two before resuming the attack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment