Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM

68 posts, read 392,992 times

Advertisements

First job out of college, tired and burned out. Been here 9 months. Not sure what i want to do with my life, but I can't afford to stay at this job nor do i want to. The job has caused all sorts of issues in my life and i think i've gotten all that i can get out of it. My boss is getting worse, and expects more stuff from me. I'm tired of the abuse, and really no control of what happens at work. There doesn't seem to be very many opportunities here to grow or make more money.

Basically i'm at the point where i want to quit. I' just tend to worry about how people will take things. Everyone here is also nosy so its going to spread like wild fire that i'm leaving, and people will have their feelings hurt. I don't really care what my boss thinks because he has treated me like ****, but i wont even be able to use my co-workers as references.

I plan on saying that i'm leaving cus my fam is relocating to another state and i wont have a car, and that i'll be moving too for the time being. mostly to make this easier on myself, but also because i'm gonna be asked why i'm leaving and "i rather not tell them its because i get paid ****, and my boss is a dick."

I won't have a job lined up. Right now since i still live at home its not an issue. I get paid so little it won't change much. (It's like 10 dollars an hour wage but its salaried - so working more doesn't make a difference) Right now i put in about 40 hours a week. Usually 37.5 even though they would love if i stayed more. The more time i put in the less my hourly rate becomes. If i put in 40, its 9.375 an hour.

I have a business/finance degree with a great GPA from a state school. I know doesn't mean much.

The biggest thing is i'm burned out, my boss is a tool, no vacation time, i get sent on errands like getting lunch for the boss. I want to be able to explore what else is out there and figure out what i want to do. I also want to be able to enjoy my life a little instead of being so miserable and stressed out. My health is suffering and i dont even get health insurance here. I really feel like i need a few months off just to recover, and maybe even take a trip somewhere in the US.

So what do i tell everyone at work? What do i tell my boss to make things the least awkward.

Why the hell am i worried, and why do i feel bad about leaving a ****ty job???

Also how do i approach the issue of recommendations and references? Who can i ask? When do i ask them? Who do i let know i'm quitting first? When should i tell my co-workers that i'm quitting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
This is soooo unlike me but I'm kind of on your side on this one. Bad pay, bad boss, degree.
If you can financially swing it, go ahead and quit.
Tell them a family member is very ill and you are the most logical one to care for him. Since you have not been at the job a year you won't qualify for FMLA (family medical leave) so you just have to quit.
Tell the other workers this, too.
When you interview for your next job, give this as the reason also.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:40 PM

thanks i appreciate your help. ya financially i should be okay. I can always freelance a bit. I want to do some volunteering too. Lately though i'm always so stressed out not knowing what to expect at work.

is there anything wrong with saying what i said about family relocating? Also do i have to go into any specifics on which family member? I always hate lying about health problems affecting family.

also do i mention that in my resignation letter (the reason for leaving)?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
You probably feel bad because it your first job, and you may have some people that are now friends and you feel your abandoning them.
But before you decide how to explain leaving, ask yourself this.. do you think your boss, pay and working conditions would have been better, the same or worst had everyone who quit over those things before you, told the boss the truth?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

I'd just say my (granddad, uncle, etc.) has lung cancer. Expect they will ask who and what the illness and prognosis is. In your resignation letter simply state you are resigning effective xyz date. Don't write the reason.

If you say you are relocating and then start looking for other jobs locally, that will seem weird.....

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM

YES i think that is exactly why i feel bad.

Unfortunately probably the same. its a brokerage firm, my position was created to work doing research on a specific project and at the time i took it cus i needed some experience. The problem is mostly by boss, and everything goes through my boss since he is paying me directly from what ever he makes based on how many clients he sells stock to. I don't think he'll increase my pay, and i wouldn't stay even for more money because i get treated so poorly.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 PM

thanks Squirl. that does make a lot of sense.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
So your basically his private employee. Do you need a reference from him? If you don;t need a reference, why not be straight up honest and tell him the truth. As FYI, your resignation letter is nothing but a formality polite thing and isn;t required. For all it;s worth, you can call him up 2 minutes before your next scheduled work time and say you quit and YOU NEVER have to tell them your reasons beyond some basic thing. Or make him wonder, just say your resigning to pursue opportunitys better for your quualificatiosn. You don;t have to go into details if you don;t want.

Another thing to think about. If he was going to let you go, how much notice do you think he would give you? 1 month, 2 weeks, 24 hours or 2 minutes?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
So your basically his private employee. Do you need a reference from him? If you don;t need a reference, why not be straight up honest and tell him the truth. As FYI, your resignation letter is nothing but a formality polite thing and isn;t required. For all it;s worth, you can call him up 2 minutes before your next scheduled work time and say you quit and YOU NEVER have to tell them your reasons beyond some basic thing. Or make him wonder, just say your resigning to pursue opportunitys better for your quualificatiosn. You don;t have to go into details if you don;t want.

Another thing to think about. If he was going to let you go, how much notice do you think he would give you? 1 month, 2 weeks, 24 hours or 2 minutes?
Yes ^^^ all true.
Unfortunately, this is the work world.
If I were giving advice to my son, I'd tell him being honest with a$$hole bosses almost always backfires into horrible references and bad will.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,007 times
This sounds like what some friends of mine have said about working at FSNB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment