Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times

Advertisements

The guys that install the cable/tv etc. How much do they make? Do you need a degree? Does anyone do this for a living? LIke the job etc? What type of experience is needed? Always been interested in doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
It is a combination of contractors and employees. I have talked to 'em when they come out. Some are paid "piece work" and others work hourly, none that I have met are salaried. Thus the busier they are the more they can make. The employees get a schedule for some system maintenance / upgrades and installs / customer service calls, while contractors mostly are doing straightforward new customer installs.

Skills can be learned at community college / vocational / union / school. Lots of "line man" type stuff, but also some knowledge of RF and digital signals / system.

Averages can be looked up at the Bureau of Labor Statistics, lots of variation by region and skills -- some places are rolling out fiber in their infrastructure and that is much newer skill. The folks capable of trouble shooting / problem solving are going to make much more and be able to use the testing tools which are a lot like the computers that high tech auto mechanics or the software driven networks need to be comfortable with...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Alright thanks ill start with tbe bureau. I was talking to a girl whos brother works for cox. She says if you get hired they provide classes for you to learn which seems great. She said its a probationary period and if you pass the class you basically get the job. She said her brother makes good money, but I dont know what good is to her.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,405 times
I recently spoke to a Cox cable installer/tech in my area, take what is said with a grain of salt. He said there's a general consensus that one wrong move and he's let go. Says all revenues are down...Companies cannot afford to advertise locally and people are customers are not getting the more expensive upper tier cable packages. No one is getting PPV movies, perhaps due getting it on the internet, netflix or the red box. People are cutting their phone service in favor of lower unlimited cell phone plans. Lastly he said internet cancellations are greatly down, he said he thinks it's because of the smart cell phones. Perhaps things are different in other areas.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 AM

What area are you in out of curiousity? I kind of feel the same way. I have thought many times of cancelling my phone in favor of just using a cell phone. I dont care about the upper tier tv packages. I hardly ever watch tv. I watch whatever i want through the net like you said. Cable internet is ridiculously expensive. I have been shopping for alternatives. I can see where the guy is coming from.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:49 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,405 times
Central GA...All I can say is apply, never know what will happen

Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 79,875 times
Default how much do we make

well to put it into a simple break down for you, a lot depends on where you live, for example, i work for comcast in the north east, very north east, where i make a mid level paygrade, whereas if i worked in cape cod, they are in the highest pay bracket.

so ill give you the break down of what i make

started at 11.13 an hour walking onto the job, now keep in mind, a 300 dollar a month free services as well as a company van, and no gas out of my pocket! this is considered a "tech 1"

after you complete your first term or comcast university which is 6 to 8 weeks, all payed for by comcast, food, hotel all totally paid for, you come back in the field as a tech 2, and around 13 bucks an hour

now after a year, and yes its almost certain you will have to wait a year, you will go back to voice and internet training, which is 3 or 4 week class, once again all paid for by the company, once you come back from class, you will be field certified and once passed, you bump up to about 16 an hour.

then based on performance, you will get yearly raises, and you get quarterly bonus' as well, which comes out to be about 700 every 3 months

once your able to go for your tech 4, which is about 3 years to 4 years under your belt, you will be at around 20 an hour

so i mean, just like anywhere you work, if you put in your time, it will pay off, and not to mention, saving 300 bucks a month on a cable bill with all the bells and whistles isnt so bad!! on top of not paying for gas to go to and from work everyday, just keep in mind, make sure where ever you work, they offer the services for the company in your area!!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
I see a poor future for Comcast once there is more competition..(let it be so!). They have one of the worst customer service depts ever if you can EVENTUALLY speak to them.

If you want to change or cancel your service you really, really get the run around...

Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 78,844 times
I work for Comcast in the Tri County are ( Lanham MD to be exact ). When I started I made 12.80 for training ( which is around 4 months ) but once I was done I got bumped up to 15.20. I love working for Comcast it is a way better fit for me then contracting. Benefits are AMAZING, pay is decent & you get free PREMIUM CABLE ( all channels, HD, Movie channels & 50% off PPV ) Free internet with power boost & discounted phone ( 4.99 - 15.00$ depending on what you get ) Plus they supply you with more work uniforms then you will ever use ( shirts, polos, long sleeves, jackets, hoodies, jeans ( black or blue ), dickies, hats, beanies & ontop of all that a 200$ vocher every 2 years for NEW REDWING work boots ) They just passed in are area taking the trucks home... So ontop of all this I spend NO GAS! You can move to Comm tech 4 training 6 months after your out of new hire traning.. Just WAAAAAY to much to name!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 78,610 times
How physical is this job? Do tech have to be able to climb up into attics and or under houses? Or is that more like the contractors job? From what I see it looks like there work on the outside and where the boxes hook up to. Don't see a lot of woman doing this work so wondered is there some heavy work involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment