Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times

Advertisements

Madison Wisconsin highest paid city government employee last year wasn't the mayor. It wasn't the police chief. It wasn't even the head of Metro Transit.

It was bus driver John E. Nelson.

Madison Metro driver highest paid city employee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times
Good for him. He worked hard and made good dough; that's the American way.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,313,756 times
I drove a bus for 2 years. Sounds like I need to switch back into that field.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:04 PM

174 posts, read 597,131 times
I know some bus drivers that drive for the Milwaukee County Transit System that make $70,000-$85,000 per year with overtime. Overtime is given out to the most senior drivers and its only a small number of drivers that can make that kind of money. I have been told that they are expected to lose a lot of their drivers within the next 3-5 years due to retirements. Not a bad job, but it has it's share of risk. Drivers have to bid on the routes that they want to drive and this is done according to one's seniority in the system. It's all governed by the local bus drivers union.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,340,792 times
The downside of that statistic is the question of the safety of the passengers on his bus.

That fellow has been averaging 80-hour weeks all year long to earn that kind of income, and I have to wonder at what point it's all going to catch up with him. The NTSA limits long-haul bus drivers to no more than 70 hours of work in a single week, and I can't imagine that driving in this city is any easier driving on the highway. I sure hope I don't happen to be on his bus when the exhaustion catches up to him.

I don't have a problem with people earning big bucks for hard work, but when you think about it, this guy basically had two people's jobs for the past year, his own and someone else's. There's someone out there pounding the pavements looking for work because the city would rather let the guys they've got work 80-hour weeks than hire someone to work the other 40 hours. That made sense when Madison's unemployment rate was hovering around 2%, which was the case prior to the recession, but at this point, it's just plain dumb.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
In many areas the transit agencies can't hire enough drivers. The applicants either don't qualify for a CDL-B due to previous driving/criminal records, or wash out of driving school. Driving a transit bus isn't an easy job--the risk of personal injury from passengers is relatively high. I have a friend who drives for one of the largest transit agencies in north America. He has been spit on, cussed at, and physically attacked by a deranged man who attacked him for no reason--causing injuries that required surgery. If other passengers hadn't come to assist, he would likely have been killed.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
By the way, sometimes it is more cost effective to pay overtime than to hire another worker. There are no additional benefits that have to be paid, and if the overtime isn't expected to continue long term, it's definitely the smarter way to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment