Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (KABC) -- As lawmakers look for ways to add jobs during these tough economic times, there is a renewed effort to buy products that are made in America.

Today, more than half of everything Americans buy is made oversees. If every American spent an extra 1 percent on U.S. products, that's 18 cents per day, we could create 200,000 U.S. jobs, according to Moody's Analytics.

'Made in America' series begins on ABC News | abc7.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:11 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Money well spent. And it's not charity, because you are buying a superior product (which lasts longer and where the cost of ownership is lower overall), from a company with good labour conditions. Makes a lot of sense on many levels.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I always give preference to products made in the US. If I HAVE to buy something made somewhere else, I buy used so my money doesn't leave the country.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's getting harder all the time, unforutnately to find something made in the USA. Even harder to resist the cheaper products with such difficult economic times. That, of course, making it worse.

Many, if not most products labeled with very familiar names are still manufactured in China or elsewhere now. My Ford Ranger was assembled in Minnesota, but the engine was made in Germany, the Transmission in France. After watching a Food Network program about cast iron cookware made in Tennessee by Lodge, we bought an enameled dutch oven. When a big hunk of enamel came off the bottom in our soup the first time we used it, we read the fine print on the box - it was made in China.

Motorola and other U.S. electronics manufacturers have factories there now too. I recently discovered that the same item (cell phone batteries) can be bought from China at 1/6th the price and free shipping. Will it hold up like the one made here? Who would care, if you can get 6 for the same price.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
There is a silver lining to the collapsing dollar.

Y'all remember the cotton and linen mills of the old south? Well, they are on their way back and they are going to bring a lot of jobs back with them.

Cheap Chinese Denim; Getting Killed By Rising Labor And Cotton Prices

Quote:
The era of Cheap Chinese denim is over – says a report by Telegraph , UK.
The rising labour costs in China coupled with the effect of Cotton price is killing the Chinese denim exports. The retailers who had a great time buying very cheap denim and retailing them as low as $5 - $10 will now have to shelve out much more amounts to get similar quantity .
The era of cheap Chinese denim is over and if you have any extra money right now you might do yourself a favor by investing in one, two or maybe a couple dozen cotton jeans because prices are about to go to the moon.

I've already seen it.

Wanna see some pure gold?

http://www.zewg.net/dump/photo/cottonbales.jpg (broken link)

I took this warehouse photo about six weeks ago those three small stacks there's 120 bales and with cotton selling for $1.25/lb there's $78,000 worth of cotton in that little pile.

If you really want to see money that nobody else sees look inside a warehouse with 80,000 bales.

On February 10th cotton was $1.8758/lb Commodity Prices – Cotton | Commodity Blog and then today I noticed today it's up to $2.0445/lb. That pile of cotton in the photo that was worth $78,000 six to eight weeks ago is worth $127,676 today.

When you see inflation remember what the government tells you it's all in your mind.

Don't feel to bad for the poor cotton farmers either.... at $0.60 they turn a profit. This year is gonna be a good year. In most regions a farmer can expect a yield of 600 lbs per acre (in 2008 some achieved an average yield of 808 lbs/acre) that is over $1,200/acre yield and at a cost of $350/acre you wonder how a poor 300 acre Mississippi dirt farmer can scrape by with a $255,000 profit.

40% to 50% of denim cost is raw material. The cheap jeans you've been getting from China haven't been made with US cotton it's been Pakistani or Chinese cotton up to now. But there is a problem and that is giant crop failure in both Pakistan and China which has devastated denim production in China.

The Chinese can not purchase high priced American cotton, ship it, make the product and ship it back and make a profit. The simple fact is there have been no profits Chinese manufactures for two years now.

Now for the good news on the job front (bet you were wondering what all this had to do with jobs) is mills across the south are starting to reopen! I am working on one in the planning stages now, it's a new mill, that is over 225,000 sq. ft. (that is a big building in case you were wondering) and will employ over 600 workers.

You are going to start seeing our industry that went overseas come back home but not because anything government did but simple economics.

These are jobs I can get excited about. They're $12 to $15/hr jobs that do provide a family with a steady income and almost always have medical benefits. I wouldn't want to work there myself but millions of families would love to have a job like this right now. Also consider what it does to a local economy to have 600 paychecks averaging $500/week cashed in a small town.

We really need these jobs.

So, a piece of advice again, if I were you and I had a few extra dollars I would go out and buy a pair of jeans.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
Very interesting post, nicet4. Of all things I imagined could come back to the USA, I never figured textiles was one of them. At least, not this soon.

I hope unions do not ruin this (once again) fledgling US industry. Can you please provide more info here, links, etc. I am looking to invest in new things stateside (I am Canadian) and would like to pursue any opportunity like this, especially a sustainable one that creates so much quality employment, and which can grow. I might just PM you on this.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,550,387 times
That's nice, but the people with jobs will seldom listen and those without are running out of money fast.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:19 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
Tonight they are supposed to reveal how much they spent.

I haven't watched the entire series, but are they making the distinction between American made with all 100% American resources, or just put together in America?

We have a bedroom set that has American products, sent to another country for processing and then sent back. Where would that be on their list?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Tonight they are supposed to reveal how much they spent.

I haven't watched the entire series, but are they making the distinction between American made with all 100% American resources, or just put together in America?

We have a bedroom set that has American products, sent to another country for processing and then sent back. Where would that be on their list?
Only if it was their only option. They had a problem with the kitchen applicances. The only ones that were 100% American Made were top of the line and very expensive and out of the reach of most people (can't think of the name of it), so they went for a compromise.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Very interesting post, nicet4. Of all things I imagined could come back to the USA, I never figured textiles was one of them. At least, not this soon.

I hope unions do not ruin this (once again) fledgling US industry. Can you please provide more info here, links, etc. I am looking to invest in new things stateside (I am Canadian) and would like to pursue any opportunity like this, especially a sustainable one that creates so much quality employment, and which can grow. I might just PM you on this.
Unions won't happen south of the Mason Dixon line.

Maybe they work just fine to bring prosperity to a northern town like Detroit or Cleveland but not so much down south.

It wasn't that these jobs were sent offshore they simply disappeared because cotton overseas was so cheap.

The end of China's cheap denim dream - Telegraph - latestChina.com

Quote:
Sitting on a bale of denim in an idled factory, 24-year-old Wei Xiaofeng has a message for the West - the era of Chinese factories churning out dirt-cheap goods is over.
Contrast this to news was from just two years ago.

100 jobs cut at ITG Denim Plant in Greensboro , USA

Quote:
100 jobs cut at ITG Denim Plant in Greensboro , USA

May 2nd, 2009 by Sandeep Agarwal

International Textile Group Inc. has cut 100 jobs at its White Oak denim-manufacturing plant in Greensboro — about 25 percent of the work force.
As far as investing in what I don't have a clue. I am a working stiff and will always be a working stiff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment