Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I want paid for what I do. If you want $8 per hour work, that's what you'll get. But, in reality (at this point in my life), I'd never work for that amount. Minimum wage is for minimum work employees. It's an insult.
I understand your point of view. But what would you do if there were no other options available? What if you had exhausted all your other options (starting your own business, working as a consultant, telecommuting, etc.) and there was simply NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE available to you? Would you turn down gainful employment on the basis of pride or would you take the job and be thankful for it until something better came along.

If you turned it down, what would you do to meet your financial obligations?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:11 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,934 times
I volunteer at the local Humane Society and work (physically) harder there than at my regular job.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
It depends on what the job is.
I couldn't agree more. A few years back I had a p/t retail job that paid a whopping $6.50 an hour--and I worked my tail off because I loved working there. (And the employee discounts didn't hurt, either.)

Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out on this. I always do my best, regardless of the pay or job title. At the end of the day, I want to walk out, feeling that no one could have done as good a job as I did. It doesnt matter that the boss doesnt realize that; as long as I realize it, that's all that matters.
Far from alone.

You take employment and always do the best job you can do. If you don't like the pay you can always renegotiate or quite.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM

202 posts, read 484,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I believe it is relative.

I work in a retail, which has always been known for it's low pay and crappy hours. However, for many years, the benefits were decent, we were treated pretty well, and along with the low pay the expectations were not that high either. I had young children and didn't want a high-pressure job that would take a lot of my energy. Not a lot of work expected, not too much stress, for not a lot of pay. I felt it balanced out.

That was up until the past few years.

I think, as another poster has already pointed out, that today's corporations are taking full advantage of this economic situation and asking way too much out of people for pay that is hardly better than minimum wage, and certainly not a LIVING wage. As they have slashed postions and payroll hours, they keep adding to the job descriptions and responsibliities of those who remain employed. Some would call this increased productivity - I just call it greed. Along with that, they have also slashed benefits, reduced flexibility, frozen 401k matches, frozen pay raises, and rewards are few and far between. How much harder are you gonig to work for $8.00 an hour? For some, it is their work ethic to work extra hard, regardless of pay. For most, they will work just hard enough to not get fired.

If the workers saw that the top level executifves were making sacrifices too due to the "down economy", they may decide it's a way to keep their company profitable and keep their jobs. But on the contrary, the top executives of these companies are taking the savings from these cost cuts and awarding themselves with salaries that are mind-blowingly high, and their stockholders with higher dividends. What's in it for the workers?

On the other hand, I have now worked my way up into a position that does pay more than $8.00 an hour, and is closer to an actual "living" wage. I definitely do work a lot harder now, never miss time, stay longer when needed willingly, and am willing to put up with more responsiblity, and more stress, even under essentially the same conditions.

At this higher rate of pay, I VALUE my job more because I know this kind of wage is hard to find right now. So, to me, it does make a difference.

Very good post. I agree.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 PM

202 posts, read 484,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I always do the best I can regardless of the wage, whether it's $7.75/hour or $24/hour (I've earned both in the last 12 months).

My motivation to work hard drops when I'm insulted, my questions go unanswered, or I'm berated for taking an hour for lunch. I don't care how much you pay me, I'm a human being, not a robot. Treat me like a real person and I'll do a great job. Treat me like a robot, and I'll do the bare minimum.

I agree with this post also. Big time. I have got to say that how an employee is treated can absolutely be a fine line between a good worker and a so-so worker, regardless of wages.

Dont get me wrong. It helps to have good wages. But, regardless of if you are making great wages or so-so wages, how you are treated can go a long way. At my job, the bosses just dont get that. Employees want to know that bosses will listen to them, be fair in their decision making, and at least give half a da-mn about any concerns or complaints the employee may have.

To feel like you have a fair boss who treats you with respect can go a long way in getting productivity out of people.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
If I accept a position that pays $8 an hour, then I have an obligation to do the best job that I can. If I don't feel that I can do that, I need to turn down the job and wait for another. I owe the employer (and most importantly myself) 100 percent on the job. If I cannot do that, then I should not accept the job.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:06 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
My point is, as long as people are busting their behinds and falling all over themselves at work for $8.00 an hour, that is what we will get. $8.00 an hour jobs. I know the way things are right now, people don't have much choice. Show up for work on time, do a decent job, that's fine. But don't sell your soul for it.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:41 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
My less then p/t job i have only pays $8.00 an hr & NO raises are even given to anyone. The company used to pay $10.00 hr for certain jobs & then it went to $9.00 hr & now its at min wage. This is the cheapest company i have ever worked for. Im trying to get the exact same job from another company that pays $14.00-$15.00 hr + travel pay on certain jobs. I now have 1.6 yrs experience so that helps a lil bit but not much. I have to deal with the public & im not really a people person but with my rent, water & seward going up in less then 2 weeks (july 1st) i just suck it up. My car tags & drivers license is due this fall & thats $104.00 + insurance & car maintenance. Times are surely tough when you dont have the income.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:29 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Looks like someone dug up an oldy but goody.

If I was forced to take an $8 an hour job, that job would receive an absolute minimum effort from me. Minimum effort for minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment