Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 PM

156 posts, read 270,054 times

Advertisements

My husband's manager called him today and said they came across his profile on linkedin and noticed he had an outside business. They asked him about that and then asked if he was looking for another job?!

Do they have the right to do this? What do they care what he does on his own time? None of this is done during the day. It's done after work/after hours.

Why is this any of their business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM

156 posts, read 270,054 times
This whole thing pisses me off. These effin companies act like they own the person just because they employe them. We work our butts off, work OT for free, work weekends and holidays, and all hours of the night. Then they have the nerve to question someone because they want to make some extra money?!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
There are all sorts of ethical issues, security issues, and proprietary issues that may have a bearing on this and validate their questions. We on the forum don't know much more than what is written in the original post.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,900,650 times
So long as the side business doesn't interfere with the day job, isn't direct competition, or a security breach, I agree that an employer should mind their own business. But employers have fired people for less or no reason.

In this case, it genuinely sounds like the employer is concerned the employee is unhappy with their job and is considering leaving, and they want to know what that might be. If he isn't unhappy, he might simply say he likes spending his spare time doing something completely different, since the dichotomy makes him enjoy his day job that much more, and by happy coincidence, he found people liked to pay him for his outside interests.

Many people who decide to operate unrelated side businesses often have a quick word with their employer as the business is getting started, just as a courtesy. Oftentimes the problem comes in the suspicion that comes from secrecy, not from the actual fact that the employee has outside interests.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I agree with both Kodaka and Charles.

I have an outside business--actually two of them. I made it very clear to my employer that my outside work would have no impact at all on my day job, and that I have no intention of persuing either as a full time career, and that both should just be considered hobbies that create some income. I even encouraged him to call my previous employer to verify that there would be zero conflict.

Neither have any potential at all to ever create any sort of ethical or security issue with my full time employment.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Does your husband's profile state that he is interested in job inquiries? I'm always surprised at the number of folks who include "job inquiries" on their Linkedin profile when it shows they are currently employed. So maybe it could mean that they want inquiries for their side businesses?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:10 PM

I suppose it is possible they are looking at the 'job inquiries' status--but pretty much everyone marks that. All it really means, to people who understand what networking means, is that the individual might entertain an offer if it was presented--not that they would necessarily accept it or that they are unhappy in their current job. But perhaps this employer is not social-networking savvy.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
I guess I am not social-network savvy either, then, BC if my employee had a resume online stating that he/she is interested in job inquiries, I'd wonder about that, as well. But then, I never look at job ads when I am in a happy place work-wise. My mother, OTOH, always used to look. Different perspectives, I guess.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
But then, I never look at job ads when I am in a happy place work-wise
Neither is someone who leaves the 'interested in job offers' field checked on LinkedIn. LI isn't a job board. It is an online resume service. Having that field checked merely means that if someone were interested in approaching them with an offer, they might be willing to entertain that offer. And most people are always willing to at least entertain the offer--and always have been. The existence of LI hasn't changed that.

It isn't a matter of different perspectives, it is a matter of casting judgement upon people about something you seemingly haven't even taken the time to familiarize yourself with.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
The last two places I worked did not permit moonlighting without permission from the companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment