Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Neither is someone who leaves the 'interested in job offers' field checked on LinkedIn. LI isn't a job board. It is an online resume service. Having that field checked merely means that if someone were interested in approaching them with an offer, they might be willing to entertain that offer. And most people are always willing to at least entertain the offer--and always have been. The existence of LI hasn't changed that.

It isn't a matter of different perspectives, it is a matter of casting judgement upon people about something you seemingly haven't even taken the time to familiarize yourself with.
Ouch! And here I thought we were responding to the OP's question with our opinions. I didn't realize that there was only one hard and fast answer. Thank you for clarifying it for me

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 01-11-2010 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
The last two places I worked did not permit moonlighting without permission from the companies.
Such policies are rarely enforceable. Oftentimes employers try to create fear in the hopes of reducing attrition. There are mountains of case law on the subject (and plenty of online information as well, if you google things like 'non-compete enforceable) which reduce the enforceability of these kinds of policies to only such work that might jeopardize the employer's competitiveness or profitability. Just because someone writes something doesn't make it legal.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Agree with Kodaka. One of my friends is an RN. She is a seamstress and quilt maker on the side. Her handmade quilts are amazing--true works of art. She also does alterations and makes things like custom fabric scrubs, curtains, and dog coats. But she doesn't make enough doing that to live on--it's a hobby that she has figured out how to make some income from.

It certainly doesn't interfere with her job at the hospital--I don't think that they're thinking that because she's handy with a needle she's going to try to start up her own surgery center.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
If the employer looked at his LinkedIn page and he somehow indicated that he would entertain a possible job interview offering, If I was his employer, I'd wonder about it. I'd wonder "is he happy here or not?". Some employers can get very squeamish when they find out an employee could be thinking about leaving, but obviously not expressing that to his employer. Sometimes people really need to watch the kind of wording they use in websites like LinkedIn.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 AM

As far as I'm concerned, if he's a good enough employee that the employer is concerned about losing him, the employer needs to step up and make the package sweet enough that the employee has no desire to go elsewhere. That's what my husbands employer did with him a few years back.

My husband gets regular recruiter calls. He gives them 20 seconds to sell him on listening further. So far none of them have been able to.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
There is a related discussion going on LinkedIn's Executive Suite Group. There are nearly 700 responses to a discussion titled- When making a hiring decision, is it ethical to check connections and conversations of a person on social networking sites like Linkedin, Facebook, Orkut etc?

I hope this Link works

Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM

I just did it yesterday on someone the company I work for is considering hiring. As far as I'm concerned, if you're putting it out there for all to see, you give up any privacy you might otherwise be entitled to.

What I am against is employers requiring employees to provide their passwords to site with content that isn't open to the public. In my opnion that's no different than requiring a phone tap on a home phone to monitor an employees private conversations outside the office.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I just did it yesterday on someone the company I work for is considering hiring. As far as I'm concerned, if you're putting it out there for all to see, you give up any privacy you might otherwise be entitled to.

What I am against is employers requiring employees to provide their passwords to site with content that isn't open to the public. In my opinion that's no different than requiring a phone tap on a home phone to monitor an employees private conversations outside the office.
I routinely checked the internet for postings of candidates for employment, using their names, their e-mail addresses, etc. I've also found that it's not uncommon for someone to use the same screen name on different sites, which I think is a big mistake.

Other than here on CD, I have never heard of companies requiring the passwords of employees' private online content. That is outrageous! I don't even "friend" business associates on my FB account BC I am in a conservative area and have decades old friendships with....let's just say, non-conservative friends.

I hope the OP's husband has addressed his employer's concerns. It seems the rougher things get, the more paranoia creeps in.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There are all sorts of ethical issues, security issues, and proprietary issues that may have a bearing on this and validate their questions. We on the forum don't know much more than what is written in the original post.
This is true. Where I work, you have to request permission by written memo if you are working for compensation outside of our employer.

The reason is valid--they want to make sure you aren't doing anything that is a conflict of interest or anything that would reflect badly on them by you being their employee.

I've never heard of anyone being turned down, because no one is going to be stupid enough to put in a memo for a job that's a problem. However, I've known of someone who got fired for earning money outside of work in a manner that was a conflict of interest and was discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment