Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 06:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,190,323 times

Advertisements

True story--this happened yesterday afternoon.

My boss was sitting at my desk with me, and we were going over a very important document which is crucial to a large contract we are working on.

My phone rang and I answered it, thinking it was a call I was waiting for in relation to this same document.

It was a woman who has been trying to sell me advertising, calling for the third time in one day. I told her I really couldn't talk at the moment. She kept going on and on, pressing me to make a decision. I said "this is not a good time." She didn't want to understand that it was seriously not a good time, and again tried to get me to commit. (I had already told her I would be buying some advertising for her, but wasn't sure how much yet.)

I finally said, "I'm sorry, I have to go" and hung up.

My boss looked at me and said, "I can tell by the look on your face that ad just went from a half page to a quarter page."

He was so right.

Moral of the story, if someone tells you that they are going to do business with you but it's not a good time to talk, the correct reponse is "OK, call me when you've got a few minutes, bye!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,750,530 times
I knew a guy once who wrote a book about what he called 'high-probability' sales. His theory was that instead of investing time trying to break down an uninterested or unavailable buyer, it is much better to immediately ask a prospect if they are interested in what you're selling. If they say no, thank them and move on to the next prospect. If someone responds in the affirmative to the initial query, then the probability of a sale went way up, and he would rather invest his time with those folks. I'm not in sales, but it made a lot of sense to me. I'm guessing your sales person never read his book.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:26 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,337,459 times
That wasn't a call from a salesperson, it was a call from an "order-taker".

A pro salesperson knows the difference about contact with content.

An overbearing "order-taker" doesn't.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 PM

6,350 posts, read 21,574,210 times
Annerk, it's experiences like yours that make me glad I don't get involved with purchasing decisions at work...

Old 12-25-2009, 12:30 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,120,101 times
I sell advertising for my radio show. The last thing I'd want to do is be perceived as rude or pushy.

I'll call you back after the Holidays!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:18 AM

6,350 posts, read 21,574,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I sell advertising for my radio show. The last thing I'd want to do is be perceived as rude or pushy.

I'll call you back after the Holidays!
Yellowsnow, I notice how frequently I hear ads on the radio for openings in the radio advertising department. Kinda tells me a lot about the difficulty of the work...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 AM

14,228 posts, read 30,120,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Yellowsnow, I notice how frequently I hear ads on the radio for openings in the radio advertising department. Kinda tells me a lot about the difficulty of the work...

True, very true. I just sell for my specific show but you are right. It's a tough market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment