Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 AM

54 posts, read 174,385 times

Advertisements

I am TV sales rep and I am considering a sales job in DC. The manager informed me that they offer 30k base plus commission. The confusing part is that he wants to know what my salary requirement is to see if it makes sense to move forward. If I indicate a higher number, does this mean I will not be considered for the job? I am confused...please help! I have to get back to him today! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Tell him the 30K base is fine with you as you are confident that your commissions will eventually bring you to your desired income level.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
Sayulita gave you good advice. good luck!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
DC is not a cheap city to live. Make sure you understand how the commission structure works. He wants to know because if you already make 50k base he probably cant afford you.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Same situation when you are bargaining at a garage sale. Do you offer a number that is higher then the seller was thinking? Do I offer a number low enough to insult the seller and get told to get lost?

It's more touchy when this question is your livelyhood. You know your business. You should know what people make doing what you do. Just remember that everyone is taking less in this economic depression.

Good luck with the new job

Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM

220 posts, read 991,587 times
eh. DC is our nations capital and the worst public school system, it's a really, really, really bad area. Unless you are going to be making 150 a year, I wouldn't go there. There was a story on the news that junior senators and congressmen are roomies in apartments, college kid style - sleeping on futons, 4 people in a 2br; because the cost of living is so high. If public officials can't afford to live there, neither can I!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
eh. DC is our nations capital and the worst public school system, it's a really, really, really bad area. Unless you are going to be making 150 a year, I wouldn't go there. There was a story on the news that junior senators and congressmen are roomies in apartments, college kid style - sleeping on futons, 4 people in a 2br; because the cost of living is so high. If public officials can't afford to live there, neither can I!
LOL...That is why I fled that area! I used to live in NOVA where I had co-workers in their 60s who had roomates!!!!!! I could not beleive it, that area is so damn expensive and crowded. Adults are living like college kids, why would I want to live with roomates well into adulthood??

Unfortunately, I know many people who don't mind living that way just to have access to what big cities (such as DC) can offer. I have former classmates (in their 30s) who now live in LA, Miami, Chicago, etc with roomates. How uncomfortable can that be?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 PM

54 posts, read 174,385 times
tatiana 1...may ask where you moved to?

I don't like the expensive housing there, because I am very spoiled here in WI with a nice big house, huge yard etc...but at the same time there is just nothing to do here and the weather is bad and there is no diversity.

I have been doing research for months trying to find a place that's a bit more cosmopolitan with more things to do and of course I would like the COL to be more affordable...I am afraid this place doesn't exist yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment